News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ArcticS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We are considering moving to the Guildwood Village area from our downtown Condo and wanted to get some opinions on the area. We know the lifestyle will be very different, but are looking for a place to build our family.

Thanks!

Guildwood is a nice area (with not-so-good restaurants from what I hear), but it's very far from downtown (> 20 km) if that matters to you.

If you work downtown and don't mind taking GO, then that may be OK, but if you drive downtown during rush hour then it will be a major PITA.

I briefly considered it, but decided I couldn't deal with that much time in traffic every day. (I don't work downtown, but getting to or from Guildwood during rush hour would still have been far too long for my liking.)

EDIT:

What I might suggest you do is take transit or drive (depending on what you will be doing on a daily basis) to or from your workplace a few days from Guildwood, during rush hour to see what it will be like. When I bought my place, my cutoff was 30 mins driving. Guildwood would have been more like 45.

The Sunday-afternoon-drive-to-check-out-the-house is very misleading. I live < 20 minutes from downtown on Sunday afternoon, but 30 minutes away during rush hour, or sometimes longer like when it's raining. After about the 30 minute mark is when I start getting really irritated. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks Eug. Currently, I walk to work, and based on the Go Transit website, it looks like the train ride from Guildwood station to Union station is about 20 minutes, so the commute doesn't concern me too much. Prior to living downtown, I commuted from Markham where I lived with my parents. That commute was a little too long for me to go back to.

I think my main concerns are the quality of education at the Guildwood Montessori, the public schools and high school in the area; the safety of the neighbourhood; the impact of the LRT along Kingston rd; property value appreciation and lastly, the impact of the proposed offshore Wind farm along the Bluffs.

The proposed wind farm should be a ways west of where you'd be living, so I'm not sure I'd worry about that.

It's quite the safe neighbourhood as in that part of Scarborough, being on the south side of the tracks, literally, is a sign of relative prosperity and well-being and therefore a heightened sense of safety permeates.

I can't say much about the schools save for that the high school in the 'hood is one of less worry than most others in Scarborough, according to the anecdotal evidence of my youth, me having grown up just north-west of Guildwood and not that long ago.

I'd go for it and was actually looking for a flat there last year.

Forgive me ohh great forum moderators/the original author of this article (I can't start my own thread)

Just wanted anyone interested to know that there is a meeting concerning the future of the Guild Inn at 7pm tonight at Guildwood Community Presbyterian Church 140 Guildwood Pkwy (Livingston and Guildwood Parkway). Basically the idea this group has is to...wait for it...turn it into a park! Not exactly the most original idea but hey, its not like its acting as anything else at the moment (other than a place for movie shoots and the occasional wedding picture).

Back