News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

West Harbour Rally!!

When: Saturday, August 7th @ 3:30pm --TiCats Game Day (game @ 7pm)
Where: Hess Village, Hamilton -Main/King & Hess GOOGLE MAP
Who: Mayor Fred & Ward 2 (Downtown) Councilor Bob Bratina will be amongst those confirmed to speak

Why not come down for some drinks (Hess Village!), food and a good ol' rally to show your support towards the West Harbour as Hamilton's Pan Am stadium location... you can even walk to the proposed site (it's a 10min walk). Check it Out

Afterwards, why not stay in town for the Cats vs the Bombers to see who takes second last place in the CFL East!

More Info Here

Last edited:
This is a pretty funny video showing the RHVP (main roadway to proposed East Mtn location) flooded and blocked (has happened 4 times this year already)..

[video=youtube;Jcs3PMRlSA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcs3PMRlSA0[/video]

And just for fun, a virtual tour of the West Harbour Stadium/Velodrome complex proposed by a devlopment company, Whitestar

Stadium
[video=youtube;Ww0VMSs6vvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww0VMSs6vvA[/video]

Velodrome
[video=youtube;c4hWy7w5Q4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4hWy7w5Q4Q[/video]

When: Saturday, August 6th @ 3:30pm --TiCats Game Day (game @ 7pm)
Where: Hess Village, Hamilton -Main/King & Hess GOOGLE MAP
Who: Mayor Fred & Ward 2 (Downtown) Councilor Bob Bratina will be amongst those confirmed to speak

FYI....I think the date is wrong...it is either Friday the 6th or Saturday the 7th.

The CFL is always screwing up like this. Cohon is stupid to say Hamilton will not get a new team. They are the only team in Ontario that draws. TSN will not get a new tv contract with CFL without them. THIS is why above all else, the CFL is always in the tank.

Feds then province cut West Harbour funds

August 06, 2010
Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator

The provincial and federal governments will only fund a stadium at the east Mountain.

The news came first in a statement issued by local Liberal MPPs Sophia Aggelonitis and Ted McMeekin. "With a final decision days away, the federal government has made it clear to the province and the city that it will not fund a new stadium at the West Harbour," the statement read.

"The Ontario government believes, as the city’s staff report points out, that if the stadium is going to have a strong future, it must have an anchor tenant. We believe the best opportunity for success now is to build the stadium on the East Mountain, and we will encourage all parties involved to work towards that solution over the coming days."

The afternoon was filled with intrigue as rumours of the statement, first reported by thespec.com around 3 p.m., spread over social media and among civic leaders.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger, in a statement issued minutes after public confirmation from the province said, "It is obvious that the upper levels of government are ignoring the community and have instead listened to private interests."

Statement from local MPPs Sophia Aggelonitis and Ted McMeekin:

The PanAm Games present our community with a huge opportunity to improve our city and make progress on behalf of the families that live in this city.

The goal of the McGuinty government has always been to build a stadium for the City of Hamilton that will have a lasting benefit to the community.

As the MPPs for Hamilton Mountain and Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, we want to be part a government that builds a great facility for the PanAm Games.

With a final decision days away, the federal government has made it clear to the province and the city that it will not fund a new stadium at the West Harbour.

The Ontario government believes, as the city’s staff report points out, that if the stadium is going to have a strong future, it must have an anchor tenant. We believe the best opportunity for success now is to build the stadium on the East Mountain, and we will encourage all parties involved to work towards that solution over the coming days.

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/821568

Statement by Mayor Fred Eisenberger concerning the Pan Am stadium

Hamilton - We have been hearing from our federal and provincial partners all along that the stadium issue should and would be decided locally.

That changed today. I am extremely disappointed that the decision is now being made by the upper levels of government.

I have been consistent in my support for a stadium located at the West Harbour because I believe it best serves the public interest.
The community has spoken loudly and clearly that the West Harbour makes the most sense for the people of Hamilton.

It is obvious that the upper levels of government are ignoring the community and have instead listened to private interests.

The truth is the West Harbour won. The West harbour won the support of the community. The West Harbour won because it is best for the community.

Powerful private interests compelled the federal and provincial governments to move the goal posts. They changed the game so they could win.

Regardless I am a supporter of the West Harbour. I will continue to be in favour of the West Harbour site for the Pan Am stadium. I am doing what I have always done and that is to safeguard the public interest of people of Hamilton. That means a stadium at the West Harbour.

Regardless of what happens I will continue to be an advocate of the redevelopment of the West Harbour.

I will present a motion to council at the first opportunity which if passed will authorize city staff to prepare a new plan for the West Harbour that are at least as significant and sustainable as a stadium and that a task force be created to spearhead the initiative.

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/821568

Does anyone else smell David Braley in the room? Multi-CFL Owner & Buddy-Buddy of Bob Young?

Question: Why does Hamilton constantly get screwed? (serious question... I would love some theories)

Does anyone else smell David Braley in the room? Multi-CFL Owner & Buddy-Buddy of Bob Young?

Question: Why does Hamilton constantly get screwed? (serious question... I would love some theories)

Conservative Senator David Braley?

Feds say funding not tied to location

Ottawa not against west harbour stadium site

August 08, 2010
DANIEL NOLAN, EMMA REILLY and JOE COLEMAN

Ottawa says it is not against building a Pan Am stadium at the west harbour.

Federal Sports Minister Gary Lunn issued a statement Saturday disavowing a Friday statement from two local Liberal MPPs that the Conservative government will only provide funding for an East Mountain site, the favourite site of future tenants, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

“Federal funding is not contingent upon the location of the stadium,†Lunn said in a release, received by The Spectator at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday.

Lunn's director of communications, Vanessa Schneider, told The Spectator that the federal government did not make any communications to the province stating they would only fund an east Mountain stadium.

"Basically, HostCo has to come to the government partners with a business plan," said Schneider. "Right now, we respect the process that city council is going through and we'll look forward to hearing the decision they come up with on August 12th."

"We will support the decision of the organizing committee; the HostCo decision."

The statement was sent out just as a rally began at Hess Village featuring supporters for a west harbour site, which is the city’s preferred location. It appeared about 400 people attended the rally – which features speeches from such people as Mayor Fred Eisenberger and Councillor Bob Bratina – but the Hess Village business association said there were 1,000 in attendance, plus 200 on bar patios.

Later in the evening, Ian Troop, CEO of the Toronto 2015 HostCo clarified earlier events.

"On Friday, I was informed by the federal government that funding for the PanAm Games stadium in Hamilton was contingent on having an anchor tenant, and that they would not be interested in funding a stadium at the West Harbour," Troop's statement read. "I passed that information along to representatives of the provincial government, who are a major partner in the Games."

"I've now learned that Minister of State for Sport Gary Lunn has clarified the federal position and stated that their funding is not contingent on the location of the stadium."

Troop said the HostCo is looking for a "long-term plan with viable future usage for this facility."

"The city's own report has said that an anchor tenant is required to make the stadium viable."

He ended by saying the HostCo "looks forward to the decision from the City of Hamilton about the stadium later this week."

A pro-East Mountain rally, featuring the Tiger-Cats, was attended by about 800 people Thursday night.

Lunn said in Saturday's release that the only conditions Ottawa has for funding the stadium is that the city own the stadium; the stadium must be used for the 2015 games; the stadium must be used for high-performance sport after the 2015 games; there is no objection to a professional football team (CFL franchise) using the stadium as tenants: and that the board for the 2015 Games approve the construction of the stadium and that it be ready on schedule and within budget.

“The decision for the location of the venues lies with the organizing committee,†said Lunn.

“I commend the parties involved for working together to find a stadium location that brings long-term benefits to the city of Hamilton.â€

In a statement released Friday afternoon, MPPs Sophia Aggelonitis and Ted McMeekin said the province is pulling its funding from the west harbour.

Aggelonitis — who says she got a phone call late Thursday from the premier's office alerting her of the funding change — said the move was prompted by a federal government decision to choose the east Mountain.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger and several councillors reacted angrily to the Friday decision, calling it undemocratic.

Councillor Brian McHattie called it "preposterous" and Councillor Sam Merulla said it was "a slap in the face of democracy."

The mayor told The Spectator after Saturday's rally that he had been in contact with federal government officials about the MPP’s comments.

He was told a statement would be forthcoming from the Conservative government Saturday or sometime Sunday.

Councillor Lloyd Ferguson said he had spoken to Tory MP David Sweet and said he had made some “shocking†comments.

He wouldn’t reveal what the MP had said but was also told a statement from him or the Conservative government would be forthcoming.

"We have said all along that we respect the decision-making process and we want to make sure that Hamilton gets a Pan Am stadium," Aggelonitis said. "What has now changed, unfortunately, is that the federal government has told the city it will not fund west harbour."

"We didn't make the decision, but at the end of the day, the province does not have the money to fund a whole stadium. We cannot go it alone," Aggelonitis said.

Rumours began flying around City Hall Friday afternoon that Eisenberger had received a phone call from Premier Dalton McGuinty informing him of the change.

It wasn't officially confirmed until Aggelonitis and McMeekin issued a statement about 5:30 p.m.

Eisenberger pointed a finger at "powerful private interests" who "compelled the federal and provincial governments to move the goalposts." But when directly asked who he was referring to, the mayor refused to name names.

Councillor Brian McHattie says it's Senator David Braley — the influential Hamilton businessman who also owns the Toronto Argos and the B.C. Lions — who is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

"It sounds like its Mr. Braley, Mr. Harper, and Mr. McGuinty that have made this decision. It's antidemocratic, preposterous — I can think of a number of other words to describe this," McHattie said.

Approached Saturday at the Tiger-Cat game at Ivor Wynne by a Spectator reporter, Senator Braley declined to comment on the situation and told the reporter to call his office Monday. He said he was just there to enjoy the football game with his family.

Ted McMeekin said the federal government passed its decision on to the province through Pan Am CEO Ian Troop.

"Apparently the federal minister called Ian Troop and made it clear that they weren't going to come to the table with money for the west harbour," he said. Troop issued the following statement via e-mail: "Toronto 2015 will be able to offer some perspective when we know the city's direction. Until then, we don't have anything to add to the discussion."

The decision has already prompted some councillors to discuss removing the city's $60 million contribution from the Games altogether.

Councillor Sam Merulla, who's proposing a plan to spend $20 million renovating Ivor Wynne instead of building a new stadium, said it should be up to the province to fund the project if it's calling the shots about the stadium location.

According to Aggelonitis, the province hasn't yet offered any additional money for east Mountain beyond the $28.5 million that it pledged months ago.

"Nothing at this point has been offered, but if the city asks, that's something we'll look at in good faith," she said.

Ticats president Scott Mitchell, who has said his team will never play at west harbour, said he wasn't prepared to comment at this stage. "I don't know enough. I haven't spoken to any of the parties involved since (yesterday) morning," he said.

The news came the same day city staff released a report examining the two sites.

The report, which concluded the east Mountain site would cost tens of millions more than west harbour, confirmed the province would support either site.

"Staff has asked the 2015 Pan Am Host corporation and provincial representatives if either site is acceptable for the Games and whether the funding would be applied to either site," reads the report. "The response has been that the site decision is the city's to make."

http://thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/822172

West Harbour Rally

A couple videos from Saturday's West Harbour Rally

Martinus Geleynse from OurCityOurFuture.ca
[video=youtube;2Z6lxDLVHOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z6lxDLVHOk[/video]

Mayor Fred Eisenberger
[video=youtube;z707EPsicgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z707EPsicgk[/video]

Back