News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

It is the duty of the opposition to OPPOSE the government if they think the ruling party is overstepping its bounds. I don't see anything undemocratic in pushing bills through parliament. If the Liberals were in financial distress after a decade in power, that's their fault and problem. I don't think the ruling party should be going gentle on the opposition parties just because they are weak. That would be undemocratic. At the end of the day, they were elected on their platform, and we the voters expect that to be pushed through

So you would have been happy with an election a few months after parliament began in 2006--all because Harper didn't form a legislative coalition and made every motion a confidence motion? I'm sorry, but you and I have differing POV on parliamentary democracy. If we didn't have 154 members voting in favour of a motion, the majority of the population do not support the motion.

You are muddling two concepts.

No, I'm not. See Glen and CDL's posts. I would add that what you describe is how the PST works, which is why it is bad for the economy (especially for industries with long value chains).

The GST shifts the tax burden from domestic producers, to foreign producers. Yes domestic producers are affect by GST, but every dollar of GST paid on foreign goods is a dollar in corporate income tax not paid for domestic producers (if the tax on business sector is zero sum).

No company can predict energy prices that far down the road.

You're exactly right, and that includes predictions that the price will remain the same. What firms do is develop robust plans: no matter what direction energy prices go, they have recourse (through retrofits, subsequent equipment purchases, etc.) that reduce costs under each scenario.

You probably have no experience in any major or heavy industry so you are unfamiliar with this.

I'm presently working for a firm that is spending hundreds of millions on assets that are sensitive to the price of energy.

Airlines buy aircraft expecting 20 years out of them. Should Air Canada ground all its aircraft in 4 years?[/quote]

There are little things airlines can do to increase fuel economy. $17 a barrel will not bankrupt airlines. The cost will be passed down to consumers, and the airlines that are most efficient at reducing their fuel consumption and otherwise serving customers will be more competitive.

And they have chosen this time frame just so can they claim they tried to hit the Kyoto deadline. It's stupid. What they should have done was set much higher targets with a longer deadline...10 years for example, something that was acceptable for the industry's capital cycle.

I think they chose a time frame that is roughly a government mandate, which is not unusual for this country. I haven't heard them mention meeting Kyoto deadlines, but this certainly won't help us meet them any time soon. This is gradually adding a brake to our CO2 emissions.

Frankly, there are very few industries that would be ruined by such an increase in energy cost, and if they will, they will be ruined anyway given the increasing scarcity of oil. If they bought their equipment in 2003 when oil was $30 or $40 a barrel assuming prices would remain the same, they are already screwed and deserve to go out of business for their terrible management.

As for your view that certain sectors aren't good for our economy, such as "pulp and paper"....have you checked where you live? This is Canada. We are a country that has a resource based economy. That will never change.

Resources form a very small % of our GDP, especially once you exclude oil and gas, since this industry will hardly skip a beat under a carbon tax. I did check where I live. Where I live, finance, auto manufacturing, food processing, IT, retailing, etc. are all much larger industries than pulp and paper.

Pulp and paper is very low value added. We rape our forests so other countries can publish books. The industry is a sacred cow because it is what keeps a bunch of almost-ghost towns alive in Northern BC, Quebec and BC.

If you want to improve the manufacturing base, how do you plan on doing it when you slap on corporate taxes, carbon taxes, payroll taxes, etc. and China does none of that, isn't a Kyoto signatory, and exempts the company from most labour and environmental regs.

I'll wait until they officially release their platform, but I think the idea was the levy duties on goods from countries without carbon tax or cap/trade schemes using some assumptions about how much carbon was used in their manufacture.

In my view, Kyoto as presently designed will just drive industry away from the first world, to the developing world.... And if you want a knowledge based sector, please tell me how you compete with the likes of India, which has the largest educated english speaking population in the world. And in case you didnt know the IT industry is yet more energy intensive than any light indsutry.

All that said, I am not opposed to the premise of the Green Shift. But let's not pretend its a benign thing to shift the entire corporate tax base from income to energy as the yardstick in 4 years. I am hoping the Liberals are bluffing on the timeframe and they'll come to their senses once in power.

I'll agree with you about Kyoto. I've never though it was perfect.

IT is quite energy intensive, and the industry has worked on it quite extensively. Intel has put substantial resources into developing processors and architectures that require substantially less energy, and thus throw off less heat, saving even more in cooling. Also, nothing requires that server farms use coal-based power. If wind, solar, etc. is cheaper, so be it.

The green shift isn't benign, and it won't shift the entire corporate tax base. It will hurt some industries (coal power generation, steel, cement, and pulp and paper) and help others (you know, the ones that form the basis of our economy).

I have my doubts that the timeline is too quick. I'd ask industry what they have to say, but I have a feeling that they can deal with it quite readily. It isn't a substantial change in oil price we're talking about. If they can't deal with a 3.8% annualized increase in energy costs, I'll try to make sure I don't own any stock.... ;)

So you would have been happy with an election a few months after parliament began in 2006--all because Harper didn't form a legislative coalition and made every motion a confidence motion? I'm sorry, but you and I have differing POV on parliamentary democracy. If we didn't have 154 members voting in favour of a motion, the majority of the population do not support the motion.

I have no problem with elections. That's the exercise of democracy. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why Canadians always complain about going to the polls. If there is parliamentary gridlock, then we should go to the polls and give a drubbing to those responsible....I am sure many would have been happy to penalize the Conservatives at the polls for that behaviour.

In your view, parliament should only operate in a majority either by a single party or coalition. You simply disagree with minority governments. That's not how parliamentary democracies work. We don't mandate that ruling parties must be able to attain 50% of the houses support. We ask that they pass bills with a simple majority. And I note that in this case, the Liberals had no obligation to support the government, not being part of any coalition. They did it for their selfish reasons....not ready to go to the polls. How is that acting in the best interest of democracy?

No, I'm not. See Glen and CDL's posts. I would add that what you describe is how the PST works, which is why it is bad for the economy (especially for industries with long value chains).

The GST shifts the tax burden from domestic producers, to foreign producers. Yes domestic producers are affect by GST, but every dollar of GST paid on foreign goods is a dollar in corporate income tax not paid for domestic producers (if the tax on business sector is zero sum).

I understand how the GST works, with it taxing only the value added at each stage. But I still fail to see how tax burden is shifted to foreign producers who are taxed at the end of their product cycle, when our domestic business incur the GST at every step of the way. Arguing that GST offsets corporate taxes is a rather specious argument. It doesn't work where our imports are coming from countries with significantly lower costs. In this case, the GST works against the domestic producer because the tax on a higher retail cost is still higher. This is particularly so, when these are goods coming from jurisdictions with whom we have free trade. The only way to keep foreign goods out is by imposing trade barriers which are now increasingly illegal under the various agreements we commit to. Indeed, applying carbon taxes on imports would be difficult to do and possibly illegal under our WTO agreements.

You're exactly right, and that includes predictions that the price will remain the same. What firms do is develop robust plans: no matter what direction energy prices go, they have recourse (through retrofits, subsequent equipment purchases, etc.) that reduce costs under each scenario.

I'm presently working for a firm that is spending hundreds of millions on assets that are sensitive to the price of energy.

Then you surely know that there is hardly a company that spends millions only to turn around and recapitalize in 4 years. Even fast movers like the IT industry, don't replace all their stuff on a 4 year cycle. I am not knocking the fact that taxing energy is a good idea. But the time frame could endanger a number of our industries that are energy intensive. Indeed, today's Toronto Star has mentioned in its opinion of the Green Shift, that transit companies will be in trouble from higher diesel costs. I doubt anybody here wants that.

There are little things airlines can do to increase fuel economy. $17 a barrel will not bankrupt airlines. The cost will be passed down to consumers, and the airlines that are most efficient at reducing their fuel consumption and otherwise serving customers will be more competitive.

Have you followed the list of airlines that are in trouble or going bust around the world? There is no airline in the world that can handle $140 barrel oil. Air Canada has one of the most efficient fleets in the world, and its struggling. There is a point, beyond where this won't be passed down to consumers, it'll just result in businesses (in this case airlines) just migrating to jurisdictions without carbon taxes (china, india, south america, etc) or shutting down.

IT is quite energy intensive, and the industry has worked on it quite extensively. Intel has put substantial resources into developing processors and architectures that require substantially less energy, and thus throw off less heat, saving even more in cooling. Also, nothing requires that server farms use coal-based power. If wind, solar, etc. is cheaper, so be it.

First off Thermal Design Profiles, while having improved, have not appreciated at the rate at which Mr. Dion assumes we will accomplish the Green Shift. I would love to see how he plans to migrate us to a less energy intensive service economy, while attacking the capital base of sectors like IT.

As for wind and solar....I'd agree with you, that we need to emphasize these more, along with nuclear. But there are still many challenges, for example, I would argue though that wind is unsuitable for significant power generation, due to its impact on grid stability and its habit of counter-cyclical generation.

I think they chose a time frame that is roughly a government mandate, which is not unusual for this country. I haven't heard them mention meeting Kyoto deadlines, but this certainly won't help us meet them any time soon. This is gradually adding a brake to our CO2 emissions.

No, they definitely chose a time frame that was Kyoto focused. It'll be part of their election strategy to trumpet how the Green Shift will help us meet our Kyoto commitments....wait for it. I'd be less opposed to it, if they weren't using artificial deadlines. They didn't do anything with a decade in power, but now they are willing to sacrifice industry at the altar of Kyoto. To me that's less a plan, than an election sop. But once they release the whole deal, we'll be able to better judge it.....

Resources form a very small % of our GDP, especially once you exclude oil and gas, since this industry will hardly skip a beat under a carbon tax. I did check where I live. Where I live, finance, auto manufacturing, food processing, IT, retailing, etc. are all much larger industries than pulp and paper.

Pulp and paper is very low value added. We rape our forests so other countries can publish books. The industry is a sacred cow because it is what keeps a bunch of almost-ghost towns alive in Northern BC, Quebec and BC.

What you are proposing is a recipe for serious division in our country. Yes, our economy is increasingly services based, however, I don't think its very Canadian to sacrifice rural towns and industries just to achieve some foreign imposed targets. That right there is exactly why the ROC hates Toronto. And I doubt that heartland could survive without the hinterland. For example, given the enormous impact of the resource sector on our stock exchanges, what do you think would happen if we taxed these sectors out of existence? Those service sector jobs at some level, do depend on a miner and a factory work somewhere in this country. They may not be a significant sector of our national economy but they comprise the entire economy for many areas of this country. Sacrificing these industries would mean sacrificing entire parts of our country.

The green shift isn't benign, and it won't shift the entire corporate tax base. It will hurt some industries (coal power generation, steel, cement, and pulp and paper) and help others (you know, the ones that form the basis of our economy).

And where do you suppose, we would get coal, steel, cement and paper? Outsourcing our environmental challenges is not an effective solution. That's an out of sight, out of mind approach. Usually that means, shipping them off to China. Entire pulp and paper mills have already been shipped whole to Asia. Has that helped the Canadian towns where these industries operated? How does that help meet our goal of combating climate change when they operate in jurisdictions with fewer restrictions and then ship their products half way around the world to our retail stores.

Frankly, there are very few industries that would be ruined by such an increase in energy cost, and if they will, they will be ruined anyway given the increasing scarcity of oil. If they bought their equipment in 2003 when oil was $30 or $40 a barrel assuming prices would remain the same, they are already screwed and deserve to go out of business for their terrible management.

You know as well as I do, that businesses don't pull energy price forecast out of thin air. Find me any credible economist in 2003 who predicted 140 bucks a barrel in 2008. What's more if oil prices are that high, then why do we need the Green Shift? The market is already doing more, than Kyoto, the Green Shift, carbon credits, etc. could ever do.

I'll wait until they officially release their platform, but I think the idea was the levy duties on goods from countries without carbon tax or cap/trade schemes using some assumptions about how much carbon was used in their manufacture

I'll agree with you about Kyoto. I've never though it was perfect.

This is key. I will not vote for any platform that ships high paying industrial jobs to a third world jurisdiction that is does not apply high standards for labour, the environment, etc. I have yet to hear an answer from all those rabid Kyoto supporters on how they plan to prevent (or mitigate) the migration of first world industries to China et al. Indeed, it is exactly this migration that has resulted in China building one new dirty coal power plant a week. I am sure that's somehow really good for climate change.....

I have my doubts that the timeline is too quick. I'd ask industry what they have to say, but I have a feeling that they can deal with it quite readily.

Assuming they can deal with it is not the sound basis for forming a national industrial policy. The Liberals have my vote, the moment they say they consulted and mediated with industry on this plan.....but I see no mention of that anywhere.

It isn't a substantial change in oil price we're talking about. If they can't deal with a 3.8% annualized increase in energy costs, I'll try to make sure I don't own any stock.... ;)

3.8% is well above inflation. Given the significant price rise of many other resources, such an increase in annual energy costs, could well be the straw that broke the camel's back. Find me a sector that can handle 3.8% annual price increases on just one of their inputs. And this being energy, means that some businesses will have their other energy intensive inputs see similar rates of inflation. What's more, many of these costs will be passed on to consumers. I wonder if the government is ready to commit to a 3.8% income tax cut every year, so our standard of living is not severely impacted.

A carbon tax is all about implementation. It would have to more than revenue neutral to prevent damaging the economy. We would have to provide industry significant tax breaks to compensate for the lag in the capital cycle and provide them various other incentives, so that they don't just pack up and leave. Dion is on shaky ground here. He is already facing the wrath of rural voters and has had to backtrack and offer more incentives. I am not confident that he will have anything better, but let's see what turns up.....

I have no problem with elections. That's the exercise of democracy. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why Canadians always complain about going to the polls. If there is parliamentary gridlock, then we should go to the polls and give a drubbing to those responsible....I am sure many would have been happy to penalize the Conservatives at the polls for that behaviour.

I suppose that we should agree that both parties were not acting in the spirit of democracy? This problem is also an artifact of our electoral system, which can see massive swings in power for relatively small swings in popular support. Any such system breeds instability and adversarial behaviour.

I understand how the GST works, with it taxing only the value added at each stage. But I still fail to see how tax burden is shifted to foreign producers who are taxed at the end of their product cycle, when our domestic business incur the GST at every step of the way.

They are both taxed to the same level. If a manufacturer of widgets has inputs worth $50 per unit, they will pay $2.50 in GST. They then sell each widget for $100, collecting $5 GST, giving the government $2.50 and keeping $2.5 to offset the GST they already paid. A foreign producer pays no GST on its inputs, sells their widget for $100, collect $5 GST, and forward $5 to the government, because they have not paid any GST to credit toward the GST they charged. Thus for each widget, the government gets $5, regardless of where they were manufactured, essentially moving those foreign producers into its jurisdiction.

Now with no sales taxes, assume the firms want a profit of $50 and the domestic government taxes ~10% of profit. The domestic producer charges $105, makes $55, pays $5 in income taxes (approx 10%, OK!), the foreign producer can sell for $100 and still make its $50 profit. Which will stay in business?

In other words, GST allows us to tax foreign goods as if we were taxing the value chain at every step along the way.

Indeed, applying carbon taxes on imports would be difficult to do and possibly illegal under our WTO agreements.

I'm under the impression that WTO permits duties to level the playing field. Where problems arise is when duties create a preferential environment for domestic producers. I'm no expert, but then I would hazard that you aren't either.

Then you surely know that there is hardly a company that spends millions only to turn around and recapitalize in 4 years. Even fast movers like the IT industry, don't replace all their stuff on a 4 year cycle.

Ok, let me just say this. It is absurd that you are railing so on this point, yet you've forgiving the Tories for announcing that income trusts would be taxed imminently, making tens of billions of dollars in value disappear overnight. They could have changed this policy without such disastrous consequences; forbidding any new income trusts, announcing that income trusts would be subject to taxation in 10 years (discount rate is high enough that anything that happens in 10 years essentially doesn't matter in terms of present value). I can assure you that a gradually phased in carbon tax will not have this kind of effect on the market. It is no where near as disruptive as the income trust tax as the Tories handled (bungled) it. It is revenue neutral, so on average people and businesses will pay no more or no less tax if they continue to behave as they now do. Unlike taxing income trusts, which overnight made billions in profits disappear that the Tories assured the market and the public would be there. That was reckless.

Indeed, today's Toronto Star has mentioned in its opinion of the Green Shift, that transit companies will be in trouble from higher diesel costs.

How much of the average transit agency's budget is diesel fuel? Now consider that $40 a tonne CO2 works out to about 10.6 cents per litre diesel. This will replace an existing excise tax of 4 cents per litre. Total increase in diesel prices after full phase in: 6.6 cents per litre. We've seen daily price fluctuations larger than that... Give me a break!

Have you followed the list of airlines that are in trouble or going bust around the world? There is no airline in the world that can handle $140 barrel oil. Air Canada has one of the most efficient fleets in the world, and its struggling. There is a point, beyond where this won't be passed down to consumers, it'll just result in businesses (in this case airlines) just migrating to jurisdictions without carbon taxes (china, india, south america, etc) or shutting down.

Airlines have been in trouble for over a decade. It is an impossibly competitive business. Airlines can handle $140 a barrel oil, just not if it doubles in price in a year. That is what stressed airlines so much. There is a limit to how quickly they can pass fare increases down to consumers.

I'd also like to see Canadian airlines offshore to China. Next time I want to fly to Montreal, will I need to hitch a cab to Shanghai airport?

I would love to see how he plans to migrate us to a less energy intensive service economy, while attacking the capital base of sectors like IT.

I wonder whether the IT industry might not make out better under the Green Shift's lower CIT rates. As it is, Google is located in a fairly high CIT, high energy cost jurisdiction in California. Why have they not yet fled?

What you are proposing is a recipe for serious division in our country. Yes, our economy is increasingly services based, however, I don't think its very Canadian to sacrifice rural towns and industries just to achieve some foreign imposed targets. That right there is exactly why the ROC hates Toronto. And I doubt that heartland could survive without the hinterland. For example, given the enormous impact of the resource sector on our stock exchanges, what do you think would happen if we taxed these sectors out of existence? Those service sector jobs at some level, do depend on a miner and a factory work somewhere in this country. They may not be a significant sector of our national economy but they comprise the entire economy for many areas of this country. Sacrificing these industries would mean sacrificing entire parts of our country.

I don't think it is so dramatic as that. If $17 a barrel is enough to destroy the economy in these parts of the country, they are already doomed, green shift or no.

You know as well as I do, that businesses don't pull energy price forecast out of thin air. Find me any credible economist in 2003 who predicted 140 bucks a barrel in 2008. What's more if oil prices are that high, then why do we need the Green Shift? The market is already doing more, than Kyoto, the Green Shift, carbon credits, etc. could ever do.

Carbon tax decreases demand for oil, all else equal, lowering the market clearing price of oil. In the world marketplace, Canada makes little difference, however. At any rate, higher prices for oil will accelerate our shift to a more efficient, sustainable economy, which giving the benefits of higher oil prices back to Canadians rather than to oil companies.

3.8% is well above inflation. Given the significant price rise of many other resources, such an increase in annual energy costs, could well be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Could? Perhaps. But if that's the case, they're dead anyway.

Find me a sector that can handle 3.8% annual price increases on just one of their inputs. And this being energy, means that some businesses will have their other energy intensive inputs see similar rates of inflation. What's more, many of these costs will be passed on to consumers.

Um, well, every manufacturing industry has been subjected to at least a 3.8% increase in input costs due to the rapid rise in commodity prices over the past four or five years. They aren't dead yet...

I wonder if the government is ready to commit to a 3.8% income tax cut every year, so our standard of living is not severely impacted.p

They're giving back every dollar. What more do you want?

I suppose that we should agree that both parties were not acting in the spirit of democracy? This problem is also an artifact of our electoral system, which can see massive swings in power for relatively small swings in popular support. Any such system breeds instability and adversarial behaviour.

Agreed. I am not out here to defend the Conservatives. But I think people shouldn't forget that the Liberals are just as guilty of such behaviour. Remember the Rat Pack?

They are both taxed to the same level. If a manufacturer of widgets has inputs worth $50 per unit, they will pay $2.50 in GST. They then sell each widget for $100, collecting $5 GST, giving the government $2.50 and keeping $2.5 to offset the GST they already paid. A foreign producer pays no GST on its inputs, sells their widget for $100, collect $5 GST, and forward $5 to the government, because they have not paid any GST to credit toward the GST they charged. Thus for each widget, the government gets $5, regardless of where they were manufactured, essentially moving those foreign producers into its jurisdiction.

Now with no sales taxes, assume the firms want a profit of $50 and the domestic government taxes ~10% of profit. The domestic producer charges $105, makes $55, pays $5 in income taxes (approx 10%, OK!), the foreign producer can sell for $100 and still make its $50 profit. Which will stay in business?

In other words, GST allows us to tax foreign goods as if we were taxing the value chain at every step along the way.

I see your logic and agree with it on how GST is applied. However, there are some points I'd like to clarify. All corporations pay income tax in Canada. A foreign corporation peddling its wares here is not exempt from income taxes. However, they gain the advantage from having their wares manufactured abroad cheaper. So therefore, the foreign company in your example would be peddling said widget at 95 dollars, paying 5 dollars in income tax and making 50 dollars profit with a cost of 40 dollars per widget. A poorly implemented carbon tax would make this differential worse by adding cost to our domestic manufacturer.

I'm under the impression that WTO permits duties to level the playing field. Where problems arise is when duties create a preferential environment for domestic producers. I'm no expert, but then I would hazard that you aren't either.

I am no expert either. But to my understanding, the WTO has very strict rules on implementing non-tariff barriers, such as health or environmental rules (or taxes).http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...ould-blow-away-carbon-trade-war-corcoran.aspx

The only way a carbon tax could really be applied on imports is if we implemented some kind of global carbon tax regime. The US recognized this point early on, and that's partly why the US congress sank Kyoto.

Ok, let me just say this. It is absurd that you are railing so on this point, yet you've forgiving the Tories for announcing that income trusts would be taxed imminently, making tens of billions of dollars in value disappear overnight. They could have changed this policy without such disastrous consequences; forbidding any new income trusts, announcing that income trusts would be subject to taxation in 10 years (discount rate is high enough that anything that happens in 10 years essentially doesn't matter in terms of present value). I can assure you that a gradually phased in carbon tax will not have this kind of effect on the market. It is no where near as disruptive as the income trust tax as the Tories handled (bungled) it. It is revenue neutral, so on average people and businesses will pay no more or no less tax if they continue to behave as they now do. Unlike taxing income trusts, which overnight made billions in profits disappear that the Tories assured the market and the public would be there. That was reckless.

I was never defending Tory behaviour or implementation on this front. What I said, was that the principle of closing the loop hole that income trusts had become represented sound thinking. Yes they should have phased the trusts out or phased in taxes on them to the corporate level over a longer period of time, instead of taxing them out of existence in a few years. But don't forget the income tax close out will have almost the same time frame as the Green Shift!

How much of the average transit agency's budget is diesel fuel? Now consider that $40 a tonne CO2 works out to about 10.6 cents per litre diesel. This will replace an existing excise tax of 4 cents per litre. Total increase in diesel prices after full phase in: 6.6 cents per litre. We've seen daily price fluctuations larger than that... Give me a break!

I am not against it. However, I think it might be a good idea to give the transit companies more time to go all hybrid. 4 years is short to convert your entire fleet.

Airlines have been in trouble for over a decade. It is an impossibly competitive business. Airlines can handle $140 a barrel oil, just not if it doubles in price in a year. That is what stressed airlines so much. There is a limit to how quickly they can pass fare increases down to consumers.

I'd also like to see Canadian airlines offshore to China. Next time I want to fly to Montreal, will I need to hitch a cab to Shanghai airport?

I worded that example wrong. I didnt mean to say that airlines specifically will offshore, though there is a trend to move long haul maintenance and business processing off shore. My point here is that, industries like the airline industry will have a rough time, if they are struggling at 140 dollars a barrel and you tack on another 17 bucks. Given that most airlines have capital cycles in the 10-20 year range, 4 years will not be enough to adjust.

I wonder whether the IT industry might not make out better under the Green Shift's lower CIT rates. As it is, Google is located in a fairly high CIT, high energy cost jurisdiction in California. Why have they not yet fled?

Because the cost of doing business in SoCal outweigh many other factors including the availability of talent in Silicon Valley. There is no saying they won't move in the future if that situation changes. Indeed, most IT companies have already begun to off-shore taking with them the types of jobs we're supposed to have in this 'new economy'. Microsoft's big push in India, and Intel's design centre in Israel, are excellent examples.

I don't think it is so dramatic as that. If $17 a barrel is enough to destroy the economy in these parts of the country, they are already doomed, green shift or no.

I dont think 17 dollars is bad either. But if it is on top of 140 and implemented in 4 years, this is not even being fair to these communities, in giving them a shot at survival.

Carbon tax decreases demand for oil, all else equal, lowering the market clearing price of oil. In the world marketplace, Canada makes little difference, however. At any rate, higher prices for oil will accelerate our shift to a more efficient, sustainable economy, which giving the benefits of higher oil prices back to Canadians rather than to oil companies.

As you have pointed out, Canadian demand is globally insignificant. As such higher oil prices will occur regardless of what Canada does. All a carbon tax does is shift the price equilibrium 17 dollars higher. That's not a bad thing. But we have to have enough time to adjust.

Um, well, every manufacturing industry has been subjected to at least a 3.8% increase in input costs due to the rapid rise in commodity prices over the past four or five years. They aren't dead yet...

Yet, being the operative word. And as the numbers show, as we shift to a service economy Canadians are working harder and earning less. Real wages haven't see much move since the 80s. That's because not everybody can land a job in the knowledge sector. For many the transition will mean giving up 70k a year at an auto company and taking on 20k a year at Starbucks.

They're giving back every dollar. What more do you want?

They're also promising new social spending. Where's that money coming from?

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=abc3cd6b-71ce-4e43-bc75-99d66055c49b

I am skeptical its going to be revenue neutral. How can it be? When they are assuming in their own plan that Canadians will not respond to the price signals. They will face falling revenues, then the income tax cut will not materialize or existing social programs will suffer.

http://www.progressive-economics.ca/2008/06/27/dion-carbon-revenues/

All that being said. I like the Green Shift idea. I am not against pricing carbon. Sadly, I have my doubts that the Liberals have the skills, knowledge and motivation to implement a full green shift. They are more likely to do nothing once in office (again) or mess up the economy in the process of experimenting..... Maybe if Martin was at the helm, I might be a little more comfortable....but expecting Dion to implement a once in a lifetime change makes me a little uneasy.

I trust the Liberals to have a more competent cabinet than the Cons. The Libs have a much deeper talent pool.

Dion is no incompetent. Look at the Clarity Act. He negotiated a controversial piece of legislation that has since helped to defuse the separatist tensions in Quebec.

Keith, given what you've said so far, I'm finding it hard to believe you're not leaning towards Dion's plan vs Harper's plan to cut emissions by 20% by 2020. The Green shift will provide tax breaks. Harper's plan will impose significant costs, without any compensating tax reductions... Although I should say that the plus side of Harpers plan is that he probably doesn't mean any of it, and therefore won't implement it. Does his plan actually call for any action in the next, oh, mandate or so?

I trust the Liberals to have a more competent cabinet than the Cons. The Libs have a much deeper talent pool.

Not necessarily. There are bright stars on both sides of the aisle. Having briefed Mackay, I have to say I am very impressed. This man could well be PM one day. Emerson, despite his floor crossing, is competent enough to be a minister. And more over, the Tories achieved a good regional balance that hadn't been seen in a decade. Yes, T.O. and Montreal were shafted a little because they didnt elect a Cons MP. But it's been over a decade since Alberta had more than one person in cabinet. You have to admit that this is good for our country. We need change and renewal once in awhile. And we need to get our disparate regions involved.

Dion is no incompetent. Look at the Clarity Act. He negotiated a controversial piece of legislation that has since helped to defuse the separatist tensions in Quebec.

Never said he was. I am not one to look for personality in PMs. Someday I might brief them, but I am not going to ever have a drink or dinner with them. I want someone who brings good ideas to the table. And I will give him credit for starting the talk on climate change....

Keith, given what you've said so far, I'm finding it hard to believe you're not leaning towards Dion's plan vs Harper's plan to cut emissions by 20% by 2020. The Green shift will provide tax breaks. Harper's plan will impose significant costs, without any compensating tax reductions... Although I should say that the plus side of Harpers plan is that he probably doesn't mean any of it, and therefore won't implement it. Does his plan actually call for any action in the next, oh, mandate or so?

What I am deeply worried about is the state of the economy, particularly Ontario and Toronto. And I am worried whether the sectors that matter to us can take the shock of such a radical shift in such a short time frame. I plan on researching this more before I vote.

I am more interested in seeing which party comes up with an industrial strategy. The Green Shift maybe a great plan to combat climate change, but how will that help Ontario to come with some major underlying shifts in our economy. Neither party is talking about a long term economic strategy. Yet, the economy is the most fundamental item that allows us to pay for everything else.

I think your concern for Ontario's economy is somewhat unfounded. Given the perfect storm it's facing at the moment with a high dollar, low US demand and high energy prices, it is standing up quite well.

I think your concern for Ontario's economy is somewhat unfounded. Given the perfect storm it's facing at the moment with a high dollar, low US demand and high energy prices, it is standing up quite well.

Recessions take time to build. Sure, we sat out the last US recession. I doubt we can be as lucky this time around, given how bad things are and will be in the US.

Our rapidly declining auto sector is worrying. It's the canary in the coal mine. It keeps tons of people employed in Ontario, particularly outside the GTA. T.O. might make it through a recession without getting beat up too badly but what about the rest of the province?

But that has very little to do with domestic policies, and a whole lot to do with weak US demand and high oil prices. It's like the fallacy of Harris turning around the Ontario economy in the '90s. Almost all of the growth in Ontario was due to an upswing in US demand, with a very small fraction coming from domestic consumption.

Edit: Not to mention the complete failure of the Detroit Three to offer desirable product.

But that has very little to do with domestic policies, and a whole lot to do with weak US demand and high oil prices. It's like the fallacy of Harris turning around the Ontario economy in the '90s. Almost all of the growth in Ontario was due to an upswing in US demand, with a very small fraction coming from domestic consumption.

Edit: Not to mention the complete failure of the Detroit Three to offer desirable product.

Now that is a topic for an entirely different thread, but it boils down to this: GM enjoyed nearly 50% market share once upon a time; Ford 26% ('71). They had nowhere to go but down. Nowhere else has any other auto manufacturer enjoyed the success that Ford/GM had until recently.
GM is #1 in South America, but has something like 14% market share. The top 5 players in Europe (interestingly NOT any from Japan, which is making a full frontal assault only in North America), are all squished at 10-13% market share. In fact, GM is increasing market share everywhere except North America. The North American market is 'maturing' and the dust will settle soon enough.
They whys and wherefors could take pages and pages of discussion, but the fact is that Detroit should not be ashamed of their relative market share decline - they (and Ontario) need only learn how to deal with it.

PS: I don't mention Chrysler because as a perennial 'also-ran,' in an interesting twist it has always held onto a 12-14% market niche. Ford and GM have always duked it out (more recently joined by Toyota), but Chrysler just sort of puttered away.

I am not arguing for tax cuts as a solution to a recession. I am arguing for a more long term strategy on how we can attract and retain industry and quality jobs in Canada and in Ontario in particular. This involves many factors: HR development, good public infrastructure, good corporate tax rates, efficient and fair tax systems, etc. There is nothing stopping us from at least addressing some of these in the hopes that it might mitigate the coming downturn.

Back