News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's not entirely clear as to why these individuals were not allowed to come to Canada, but the article does not contain anything whatsoever that Harper is campaigning for Islamic fundamentalist votes.

I assume he's saying that because Harper's government is rejecting the visitation of Iranian dissidents, he is coddling the Iranian fundamentalist government and its supporters.

This is actually true in a vague way. More important than this one story is the fact that Harper's government also refused entry for an anti-war dissident from the UK to visit Canada.

It seems Harper's government, under direct supervision on high profile cases, is choosing to keep out people who would protest war and protest fundamentalism. What their purpose is I have no clue.

People are confusing their politics for what is being said (or not said) in article. Again, there is nothing indicating that the Harper government is attempting to 'coddle' the Iranian government or fundamentalists.

As for the refusal of George Galloway to enter Canada, he is a supporter of Hamas - which is hardly an anti-war organization and quite fundamentalist. So you are wrong on that count.

The Conservatives may not be popular on UT but can we at least try and be truthful in the title? How does two Iranian dissidents not getting visitor visas translate into Harper courting Islamic Fundamentalists? Given the right's views on fundamentalist Islam, does that make any sense to start with?

The simple explanation here is that both these individuals probably turned in their police clearances with their visa applications and then were denied for having been in trouble with the law. It's an unfortunately common occurrence in certain not-so-democratic countries where we have diplomatic missions. We have to rely on local authorities for at least some of application certification who often have their own agenda. I view this as incompetence on the part of the local staff in doing due diligence with regards to the documents likely given to them by Iranian authorities.

If anything given the relationship between Canada and Iran these days, I am fairly sure that Iranian dissidents would have been welcomed with open arms by governments of any political stripe from Canada.

People are confusing their politics for what is being said (or not said) in article. Again, there is nothing indicating that the Harper government is attempting to 'coddle' the Iranian government or fundamentalists.

As for the refusal of George Galloway to enter Canada, he is a supporter of Hamas - which is hardly an anti-war organization and quite fundamentalist. So you are wrong on that count.

George Galloway is an elected MP in the UK, I hardly think he should have been refused entry into a nation that is still part of the British Commonwealth.

I could easily see the US banning someone in the hysteria of terra'ism, but Canada? Come on... He was coming for a speech and he had no plans to stay in the country.

BTW, if Jason Kenney were intelligent, he would have just let him come on in, under the radar, and let CSIS record him and monitor him, and if he's indeed a terrorist you'd actually have information to work on. ;)

Oh how Conservatives never miss a chance to do things the 'unintelligent' way. ;)

The George Galloway matter will be tested in court. Lets hope it proceeds quickly.

American mothers on social assistance are also not allowed entry into Canada for weekend visits , that decision will also be tested.

Academics are always feared by fundamentalists of all stripes. They usually have valid things to say and know how to say it.

Last edited:
aren't we fighting islamic fundamentalists in afghanistan?

Can someone please point out where in the article it says Harper's courting Islamic fundamentalists? Given the whole Kazmi incident and the diplomatic fallout, as well as our support for Israel (although not absolute) and relations with the US its hard to see our government supporting the ayatollahs.

And they have not even forgotten that it was our High Commissioner that smuggled out the hostages....

George Galloway is an elected MP in the UK, I hardly think he should have been refused entry into a nation that is still part of the British Commonwealth.

I could easily see the US banning someone in the hysteria of terra'ism, but Canada? Come on... He was coming for a speech and he had no plans to stay in the country.

Just because Galloway is an elected MP in the UK does not mean that he is automatically allowed into Canada. The point is he has supported an organization that is quite pro-war and fundamentalist.

And by the way, it's the Commonwealth, and not the British Commonwealth.

While I think Galloway is something of a twit and a blowhard, I'm not thrilled by the fact that he is presently not allowed into Canada. Nor is it clear as to why the Iranian dissidents are being barred entry. Hopefully an explanation will be forthcoming.

Regardless of these two incidents, none of that suggests that the government is campaigning for Islamic fundamentalist votes.

Back