News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I assume it follows the same reasoning that blood donations from homosexual men are not accepted.

We must remember, they're not banning gay men. They're banning men who have had anal sex with other men. This does not by default cover all gay men, as surely there are a few that think doing that is pretty gross. I know, I know, don't knock it 'till..... Perhaps they should just ask if you've undertaken any risky sexual behaviour over the last year, including anal sex with either sex.

What about str8 people having anal sex? (please don't tell me they don't). Are they allowed to donate blood?

What about str8 people having anal sex? (please don't tell me they don't). Are they allowed to donate blood?

what if you get transplanted animal tissue? will they ask pigs if they had anal sex and if they're gay? how do you know if a pig is gay? does it roll around in the green grass rather than the mud? :confused:

In my opinion, anyone should be able to donate blood or organs so long as in the 6 months prior to donating, they have either had monogamous sex with a partner who is not HIV positive, or have had no sex at all.

It's ridiculous that Health Canada bases their criteria on something as general as sexual orientation given that their forms already have dozens of other questions. I'd rather receive blood or an organ from a gay man who has been in a monogomaous relationship for 20 years than some straight (or gay) person that has had sex with 10 partners in the last year. But guess who qualifies?

I assume it follows the same reasoning that blood donations from homosexual men are not accepted.

We must remember, they're not banning gay men. They're banning men who have had anal sex with other men.

Maybe they should be asking heterosexual donors whether they've had anal sex, too? That or bar them from donating until they can prove they have not done so.

Be interesting to see the explanation.

it's not just anal sex though, vaginal intercourse can transmit HIV as well, albeit "lower" risk... but then again the question comes, which is safer? a gay man in a 5 year monogamous relationship, tested negative, or a straight person having intercourse, even if it were vaginal, with a different partner every night?

it's not just anal sex though, vaginal intercourse can transmit HIV as well, albeit "lower" risk...
Look, they want to ban gay men due to the perceived higher risk of HIV. To achieve that goal, they should ban anyone who engages in anal sex. This catch-all will meet the goal of eliminating most of the gay male population (especially those at higher risk of HIV) and with the added benefit of also eliminating heteros who also engage in HIV-risky anal sex.

You're probably right, in that there are other risk factors or further factors that could be considered. However, none of those would cover the end objective, that of eliminating gays from the donor pool. I have no problem with that, as long as they treat everyone the same, and thus ban everyone, regardless of orientation who engages in the behaviour they're worried about due to HIV risk.

Look, they want to ban gay men due to the perceived higher risk of HIV. To achieve that goal, they should ban anyone who engages in anal sex. This catch-all will meet the goal of eliminating most of the gay male population (especially those at higher risk of HIV) and with the added benefit of also eliminating heteros who also engage in HIV-risky anal sex.

Should they ask if the anal sex was with a condom or not? Should that make a difference?

its not a human rights issue though. it's not a right to donate your organs... and the agency's right to decide whether or not to accept it, no matter how short sighted and ignorant it may be.

Any kind of discrimination is a human rights issue. In this case, and the case of the donated blood issue, public safety could be seen to trump equality. With the organs, I think that case is pretty week.

It's much more obvious in a case where a gay man wants to donate his organ to a family member and is prevented because of this law.

Voting age, legal age to purchase alcohol or to drive, age of sexual consent - all are cases of discrimination of when one can or cannot do something. Discrimination can be justifiable in a number of instances.

Beez, many wills, etc. have been thrown out because they are discriminatory. Cecil Rhodes' will was rewritten because it was sexist.

Hydrogen's right. Discrimination is often deemed justifiable. Like I said, in the case of donated blood, public safety is deemed to trump equality, not that I necessarily agree with it.

Back