News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It is hard to take these people seriously when they harass people on FB and end long friendships because of a few high-rises. It is not like you are personally building them or enabling them to be built. It is good example of how irrational and idiotic all these NIMBY movements are. I'm glad the province and OMB stepped their giant proverbial foot down on these idiots.

Oh they are all fools. I joined that group to use my planning knowledge to explain to them why things were going the way they are.

This was what I got after I tried to explain:

"Why does some student from Waterloo care about this???????? You clearly work for the developer, are you trying to get information from us??"

I knew I was dealing with complete idiots. All kept bringing up is "OMG Its going to bring poor people and crime." Because poor people buy condos?

I'm really happy with the outcome of the OMB decision but I was a bit nervous. TOareaFan (and others) listed all the reasons as to why I support this development (please note that I live closer to the development than most of the people against it). I do think that 20 storeys is a bit high (I'm sure if it went any lower it would be unfeasible), however the development is necessary to revitalize this area and to stop the sprawl that we have seen in Brampton for decades.

Rowe I did the exact same thing. I ended up leaving the group; I was not welcome since my opinion was different. I tried explaining the OMB process, provincial policy, and Acts (and more) and they refused to listen. I explained how it will impact their community for the better and what they will get from the development but they all refused to listen. It came to a point where I had to actually deactivate my account and leave facebook for a week because the NIMBYism was just ridiculous (and they claim they are not NIMBYs). I'm glad UT exists, I can discuss this with rational and informed people :D

Anyway, Long Live the OMB*.

Last edited:
I lived my childhood years 500m North of the site. It certainly makes sense to build something relatively dense there. It's surrounded by a stores, dental/health clinics, daycare, a community center, library and parks... Plus many school nearby and next to a bus stop. So it's really in the middle of it all - for a suburban neighbourhood at least. But why should it have so tall towers?

The site is about 350000 sq ft based off google maps. I think most of it could be built up, there's no need for much greenspace since there's so much nearby. So say 250000 sq ft built up? If you assume one unit is around 1000 sq feet, and the parking can go underground, you could get 1250 units with an average height of 5 floors. It would suit the area much better, maybe there could be terraced appartments facing the park, with the height decreasing to 3-5 stores at the North and East edge. I know these are all very rough approximations, but surely they wouldn't need to build 20 stories high?

Having exhausted all legal routes to stop this development, the groups are now threatening to close the 410 in protest! Here is an article in the local paper with some reader comments.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/article/937801--residents-plan-protest

While not yet ready to say they will not try the 410 blockade.....they are focused for now on a protest at QP.

http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news/cityhall/article/967204--queen-s-park-protest-march-28

Back