News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Are 18 y/o adults or not? I am truly bothered by the bizarro ageism we have in this province where an 18 y/o can buy a gun but not cigarettes or alcohol.

I, too, support the reintroduction of photo radar. Also, cracking down on tail-gating, improper lane-changes, and cheating on red lights (which I've noticed is quite bad since I moved to Mississauga).

If these regulations are a good idea for some G-licensed drivers, they should be applied to all. Of course, license suspension for speeding is draconian and will likely lead to people under that age being let off by the police.

If it matters, the law wouldn't apply to me, nor have I ever received any traffic tickets.

I don't see the correlation between tinted windows and aggressive driving. That's like saying females that have a layes on their rear view mirror are easy lays.

Most individuals that have tint on their vehicles, such as myself, do not get tint so that we can go out and drive like nutcases. We get tint because A) it's safer B) it helps in the summer when it's hot and C) it makes a car look better.

How are they 'safer'? It impairs the ability of other drivers to see you and where your attention is directed. B) and C) are irrelevant.

How are they 'safer'? It impairs the ability of other drivers to see you and where your attention is directed. B) and C) are irrelevant.

Irrelevant to you perhaps, but those are the reasons why some individuals get tinted windows.

Obviously there are downfalls to having tint also, but my explanation was geared towards the fact that tint doesn't equal aggressive driving, which was suggested.

You didn't explain how it makes a car safer.

Aesthetics and heat are irrelevant because tinting is illegal. I imagine tints are available that do not block visible spectrum but do block infrared and/or UV. If heat were the issue these would be satisfactory.

You didn't explain how it makes a car safer.

Aesthetics and heat are irrelevant because tinting is illegal. I imagine tints are available that do not block visible spectrum but do block infrared and/or UV. If heat were the issue these would be satisfactory.

Tinting is not entirely illegal. It depends on what shade of tint you purchase.

There is a certain shade that you can have on your front windows and still be within the law. You can tint your rear windows any shade you like. It's only the front windows that you can get cited for if your shade is too dark.

If you've ever been in a vehicle with tint, you will immediately feel that it adds a level of security. It's more of a feeling of security. Tint also helps deter potential burglars, as they are less likely to see within your vehicle.

For example, during Christmas time, many vehicles get broken into in mall parking lots because gifts are there in the open for everyone to see. Whereas, if you had tinted windows, the chances someone could see into your vehicle is less likely.

There are many workers out there with all types of work vans, such as Astro vans and what not, that have tinted windows so that no one can see inside. This keeps their equipment safe from potential theft.

I think you catch my drift. In the end, tint is a personal preference, but it's not entirely illegal, as I mentioned.

Tint also helps deter potential burglars, as they are less likely to see within your vehicle.

Based on my experience, a door on the glove compartment also prevents thieves from seeing inside it. That never stopped the ones that busted into my vehicle.

It's more of a feeling of security.

Isn't that saying that it more resembles an illusion of security?

I just turned 21, and just got my G. It would really piss me off if everything I have worked for up until now just gets taken away at this point, but im sure the law would only start being applied to people born after a certain year. If thats the case, I could care less about it. People will get used to it just like they got used to graduated licensing.

The other measure being proposed by the transportation minister (and sounds like a done deal) is the legalization of double-trailer truck trains. After all the concers with trucking safety, why is this quietly being pushed through? There's been a number of truck crashes and rollovers lately. This will likely make things worse.

So while they make things extremely tough for younger drivers, they kowtow to the Ontario Trucking Association and MADD.

Are there no railways?

The double trailer truck proposal is only a pilot project. It wont be fully approved until further studies are done.

Based on my experience, a door on the glove compartment also prevents thieves from seeing inside it. That never stopped the ones that busted into my vehicle.

As does a locked trunk.

If I can't see you driving and where your eyes are because of deep, illegal aftermarket tinting, whether as a pedestrian, cyclist, or fellow motorist, then that is a danger.

Tuscani: So do you think it is fair that a hard-ass cop can take your licence away for 30 days (and screw your insurance) for speeding, even 10 over (where an "adult" driver wouldn't even get demerits) is reasonable? The graduated licensing system is very reasonable. The new, ageist restrictions are not, and are paternalistic rather than justified or promoted except by a group that has morphed from a safety advocacy organization to a neo-prohibitionist group (the founder of MADD left the group in disgust of their shift) and a father whose son disregarded laws already in place.

The "pilot" program, like most, will likely be permanent, so on one end, they target one segment, but reduce safety in other areas to appease particular business interests.

Last edited:

Isn't that saying that it more resembles an illusion of security?

May be you should lock your glove compartment next time.

You do feel more secure in a vehicle with tint. I can't explain this any more to people who haven't owned a vehicle that has been tinted. Sit in a vehicle with tint and without tint and then come talk to me.

@ ShonTron - "If I can't see you driving and where your eyes are because of deep, illegal aftermarket tinting, whether as a pedestrian, cyclist, or fellow motorist, then that is a danger."

I understand your fear. It is a danger when you can't see whether there is an actual human being behind the wheel or a chimpanzee.

Some of you are complete grannies. It's actually quite entertaining.

I don't think you want to start name-calling. Some rather uncharitable things could be said about people who feel better hiding behind tint, and also feel that tint makes them look cool.

I don't think you want to start name-calling. Some rather uncharitable things could be said about people who feel better hiding behind tint, and also feel that tint makes them look cool.

It's not name calling, but the truth. There are too many sensitive people on this forum and even more with ego's the size of celebrities houses.

You can say whatever you'd like about people who tint their vehicles. As I mentioned, I have owned vehicles with and without tint. One of my current vehicles does not have tint at all while the other has factory tint (the rear windows are tinted). So say what you will, it won't hurt my feelings.

Everyone has their own reasons for tinting a vehicle. And then there are reasons why someone doesn't tint their vehicle. It's a personal choice.

I'd personally like to see more people with tint, as there are a lot of people in this city that think they are hot, but are infact not. It's better they hide themselves instead of driving around in the Summer time with their hands hanging out their vehicles with the windows down.

May be you should lock your glove compartment next time.

You're a funny guy.

I've know people who've lost entire dashboards for the stereo. Tint won't stop someone who's curious to see what you are trying to hide.

Back