News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Decided to do some "Shopping" and looked up some Bombardier trains that would fit the needs of 200+km/h. Came up with these guys, capable of 230km/h. Imagine something like this pulling into Union station, The Kitchener Mobility Hub, and Downtown London... Drool.

Wow, so modern and nice :).

Murray said "opening in phases". Hopefully that means KW to Toronto could open sooner than in 10 years? I'd love to find out more info about this project.

Wow, so modern and nice :).

Murray said "opening in phases". Hopefully that means KW to Toronto could open sooner than in 10 years? I'd love to find out more info about this project.

Did he say the HSR would be phased? I know he has said the 15 minute GO service will be phased in over 10 years but I did not get that impression for the HSR

probably 2 phases, Kitchener to Toronto than London to Kitchener, and with a 10 year cycle it would probably be a single continuous construction process. You would essentially have to have the london portion under construction by the time the Kitchener portion opened.

probably 2 phases, Kitchener to Toronto than London to Kitchener, and with a 10 year cycle it would probably be a single continuous construction process. You would essentially have to have the london portion under construction by the time the Kitchener portion opened.

From the look of things, the right-of-way for Kitchener-Toronto is mostly complete and would require relatively few curve widenings and grade separataions to bring it up to HSR standards. There are significantly more grade separations which would need to be done through Baden-New Hamburg, Stratford, and St. Marys if the line was to keep the GEXR routing. I think it would almost make more sense to build a true HSR cutoff between Petersburg and Thorndale if the province is serious about running trains at 320km/h (as tweeted by Murray).

Glen Murray just said on Twitter this thing will be 320 km/hr:

@GlobalTom 1h
@Glen4ONT Thanks! Also, does "high-speed rail" to London mean 200+km/hr?

@Glen4ONT 1h
@GlobalTom 320KM

Um wow. If you had told me a week ago that the minister of transportation promised high speed rail to KW & London at 320km/h and 15 min EMU GO service on all lines I wouldn't have believed you.

Neither would I haha. I'm still kinda doubtful of bringing 15 minute service to places like Stouffville.. I mean really? Niagara as well seems sort of frilly.. repurpose the old diesels with some major extensions to them to do the long distance hauls IMO. Uxbridge - Stouffville - Downtown, St. Catherines - Grimsby - Hamilton - Downtown (Hamilton would get the full 15min service though), Brantford - Toronto, Bowmanville - Toronto, Bolton - Toronto, etc. Run 3 car trains or something, it keeps the use for some of them at least.

Um wow. If you had told me a week ago that the minister of transportation promised high speed rail to KW & London at 320km/h and 15 min EMU GO service on all lines I wouldn't have believed you.

It's been a weird week. Who would have expected that Robyn Doolittle is moving over to the Globe & Mail, and Adam Vaughan will run for the federal Liberals.

Personally, I have a hard time imagining them electrifying west of Kitchener, so I'd imagine we are talking 200 km/hr diesel trains with slower acceleration.
GO should be running 5 car trains off peaks for most of its life, but the cost to break/makeup a train today is too expensive. If DUM/EMU built to EU standard were to be use in place of current standards, the cost to doing the break/makeup becomes a non factor to the point you could run various length of trains at the same time for peak service.

I don't think electrification all the way out to London is part of the plans either, at least not initially. 200kph would exceed the max speed the current equipment is capable of course so that would mean buying another brand new batch of higher speed diesel locomotives which will have still have less than impressive acceleration. Unless they plan on having two loco's per train. As for DMU's, are there FRA standard DMU capable of 200kph out there? Or perhaps they will follow the US's plan, to allow for European type-DMU's(by 2015 in the US). But the only reason they are doing so in the US is because the FRA crash-worthy requirements are being replaced by the increased level of safety that comes with the PTC system that is suppose to be implemented by that time. There's been no talk of such regulations in Canada, nevermind a timeline for its implementation. Although GO might be considering implementing the system on their own accord? re; http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIE...ORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=ROrI8O1tJc+KPGhGYoD2mQ==. Though there is no reference of PTC in that tender, so who knows.

Interesting find! That's the Milton line though, not the Kitchener line. It still is double-tracked from Toronto to Guelph Junction (just southwest of 401 and Guelph Line).

Yup, it's double track from the USRC to Guelph Jct. and has been for a long time.

Glen Murray just said on Twitter this thing will be 320 km/hr:

@GlobalTom 1h
@Glen4ONT Thanks! Also, does "high-speed rail" to London mean 200+km/hr?

@Glen4ONT 1h
@GlobalTom 320KM

wow... that means electrification, corridor realignment(i.e its not going to slice through the cities of St. Mary's & Stratford at those speeds and through those curves), complete track replacement(i.e. concrete ties), all the way out to London

Decided to do some "Shopping" and looked up some Bombardier trains that would fit the needs of 200+km/h. Came up with these guys, capable of 230km/h. Imagine something like this pulling into Union station, The Kitchener Mobility Hub, and Downtown London... Drool.

You can use Stadler Flirt that DD
8359592713_487302bde8_b.jpg

The ICE train as per you photo that is also a DMU. Went from Denmark to Hamburg on an ICE DMU that took the Ferry between the 2 countries.

8267616112_e49e158316_b.jpg

Stadler KISS DD
8257277354_806d459ef8_b.jpg

ICE 3 that I rode on
8193983611_dd1048898f_b.jpg

X40 DD
8161844662_3fa74eb16c_b.jpg

ETR 500 that will get you 325km/hr
8084405675_58c0381299_b.jpg

This is what we need and she flies once on the high speed section and a nice smooth ride: ETR 600
8046586270_20ac8490f9_b.jpg

It was mentioned that the train would be able to get from 'London or Kitchener to Pearson in 30-40 mins".

A 320km/h train will do this, assuming there is a non-stop run from London to Pearson.

I was hoping to see a 300km/h+ train proposed, glad to see it now mentioned. If we're going to build HSR, we may as well build the thing right.

Back