News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

HFR maybe coming but will be completely ineffectual unless it comes with significantly faster travel and more reliable travel times.

Ummm it would bring substantially more reliable service and significantly faster travel on at least two segments (Toronto-Ottawa and Ottawa-Montreal). Would HSR be nice? Absolutely. But I would happily take HFR with shovels in the ground tomorrow than HSR being built two decades from now.

Last edited:
If HFR does significantly improve travel times then I agree, they should go for it. The service does not have to be electrified. That may play well with environmentalists but the reality is that it is simply not work it.

The problem with the whole plan is that politicians will inevitably want to get involved in the planning themselves so that their little town gets a stop. We have seen this with Wynne's 'proposal' where cities along the route demand a stop taking the high speed out of HSR.

A true Corridor service should be viewed an inter-provincial connector and not as a commuter rail service. The Corridor should be a strictly Win/Lon/Tor/Ott/Mon/QC service and that's it. The ONLY exception to that maybe Kingston is they choose the current southern route. Anyone going anywhere else can transfer on to the Corridor service by other regional connecting trains or buses.

^It took me a little googling to discover that #whyhsr is the latest incarnation of the opposition to the old Wynne HSR plan, with its new proposed alignment through Oxford County. Maybe I missed a memo?

Considering that ML’s current plans for the Malton-Georgetown segment are apparently much scaled back from Liberal days, I don’t think there is any continuing risk that HxR will proceed west of Toronto.

However, on the premise that “the enemy of my enemy is my friend”, I’m glad to see this group lining up against Del Duca, whose previous track record makes him the worst possible choice for the Liberal leader role, on transportation and on any other basis.

- Paul

A perfect example of why we can't have nice things in the GGH/South Western Ontario. High speed rails run through all kinds of rural towns in Europe. Here, we actively block it.
Thats what you get when people are resistant to progress and change. Of course you need to be mindful of whats existing but just covering your ears and singing aloud is not the way it should be.

Article up at CBC suggesting the project is going nowhere; but no new info that I noticed one way or the other.

Were viaducts or underpasses ever proposed to appease the farmers? I can understand their argument when 2 tracks cut their land in half but there are so many solutions implemented around the world for this issue that it would be a huge blunder if the planners never thought of it

Were viaducts or underpasses ever proposed to appease the farmers? I can understand their argument when 2 tracks cut their land in half but there are so many solutions implemented around the world for this issue that it would be a huge blunder if the planners never thought of it

I suspect they thought of it, but the cost implications likely had a huge impact. Part of the appeal of this particular route was that it was fairly straight, level, and made the minimum number of crossings of both major waterways and major roads.
That's part of the reason why the faster option proposed by Collenete (under which grade separation would have had to be total) had a much higher cost.

- Paul

We dont have any of our lines electrified and we are here talking about high speed rail. You think countries with HSR just got up one day and built HSR? Why don't improve what we currently have and electrify our lines instead of wasting time and money on useless endeavours like this.

We dont have any of our lines electrified and we are here talking about high speed rail. You think countries with HSR just got up one day and built HSR? Why don't improve what we currently have and electrify our lines instead of wasting time and money on useless endeavours like this.

Via's HFR should be extended west instead, and then the HFR eventually upgraded to HSR.

Thats what I think. Why make a separate project and system from Via? Thats just creating fragmentation.

Back