News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Okay, so let's do a cost-benefit analysis on HSR vs upgraded regional rail and see which wins. We aren't going to get that because this is a typical Ontario Liberal vote-buying scheme. I could see this making sense if there was all day GO service between Kitchener/Pearson/Toronto that was overloaded, but we are so far away from that! It makes no sense.

Who says they aren't building regional rail either? They have been fairly specific that they are building both.

If you see how downtown Kitchener and Waterloo Region as a whole are rapidly transforming with tech companies, both new and established, you might think differently about whether the knowledge economy is an empty buzzword. In a region like Southwestern Ontario that has been driven for the last century to a large extent by manufacturing, a shift in local economies in the direction of tech-heavy jobs is a big deal.

It's totally a buzzword. The way it's deployed by politicians, at the very least, is 100% buzzword-y.

That doesn't mean there isn't a tech sector. There is, and it's (hopefully?) growing, and that's great for everyone involved.

The way pols like Glen Murray use the term though is as a self-obvious justification for their own (questionable) policies and to piggyback on the aura of prestige and progressiveness companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google and such have in this day and age. Instead of actual metrics of project benefits and cost (ridership, operating costs, capital costs, diversions ect..) it's about the "knowledge economy" and how cool that is.

If there was any kind of obvious travel market between London-KW-YYZ-Union this entire announcement wouldn't seem so out-of-left field. The markets are very, very thin, though.

Today is the day I feel like digging out the, literally, dozens of posts directed at me over the years suggesting I just move closer to work rather than continually advocate for hourly train service all day between Brampton and Toronto. Seems what they should have been telling me is that if I moved farther away I could/should expect half hourly trains ;)

Who says they aren't building regional rail either? They have been fairly specific that they are building both.

If that ever, EVER happens, I solemnly pledge I will buy a ticket on the first train leaving London for Toronto and eat my own hat at 320km/h...

You'd think people here were talking about Tokyo-Osaka, not Toronto-Kitchener.

And you should expect 15 minute trains without even having to move!

I know the announcement said that....within 10 years (although this HSR seems to be coming in 6 - 8 years)....but my point was that it seems strange to see so many people supporting, on a commuter basis, this much expenditure encouraging daily London-KW-Toronto commuting (ie. longer commutes in time and distance) compared to what my own personal experience has been advocating for even less service for a larger and closer city......in other words I was just musing.

Looking forward to seeing more details in the budget tomorrow, especially how this all will be funded. IF a concrete funding plan is laid out, I am really optimistic about the future of transit in Ontario.... if the budget is passed. Would be a shame to see the fastest high speed rail and 15 min express service flushed. We are so close.

Looking forward to seeing more details in the budget tomorrow, especially how this all will be funded. IF a concrete funding plan is laid out, I am really optimistic about the future of transit in Ontario.... if the budget is passed. Would be a shame to see the fastest high speed rail and 15 min express service flushed. We are so close.

Sometimes on these boards we lose ourselves in excitement and forget that transit is not the only issue on which this government, or any government, is judged.

The way pols like Glen Murray use the term though is as a self-obvious justification for their own (questionable) policies and to piggyback on the aura of prestige and progressiveness companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google and such have in this day and age. Instead of actual metrics of project benefits and cost (ridership, operating costs, capital costs, diversions ect..) it's about the "knowledge economy" and how cool that is.

Maybe you should listen to Glen Murray's actual speech before painting it with that brush. As for metrics, I think any list of "actual metrics" should include some measure of economic and land-use impact.

If there was any kind of obvious travel market between London-KW-YYZ-Union this entire announcement wouldn't seem so out-of-left field. The markets are very, very thin, though.

The 401 and 403 must not have very much traffic, I guess.

Considering it's $40 dollars a ticket, this service doesn't seem to be for daily commuters. I would've thought it's more for occasional travel and to get to the airport? Not sure if there's enough ridership to for trains every 30 min though...

I know the announcement said that....within 10 years (although this HSR seems to be coming in 6 - 8 years)....but my point was that it seems strange to see so many people supporting, on a commuter basis, this much expenditure encouraging daily London-KW-Toronto commuting (ie. longer commutes in time and distance) compared to what my own personal experience has been advocating for even less service for a larger and closer city......in other words I was just musing.

Brampton should rebrand itself as "Canada's innovation capital: home of digital solutions network incubators" and just wait for the HSR stations.

Considering it's $40 dollars a ticket, this service doesn't seem to be for daily commuters. I would've thought it's more for occasional travel and to get to the airport? Not sure if there's enough ridership to for trains every 30 min though...

Averages are tough....for one thing there are 4 stops so different trip lengths will have different prices and they have said there will be business and regular class....so the devil will be in the details (ie. what is the economy class fare from KW - Toronto).

If it is not for commuters.....really 6 million people a year a) make that trip ocassionally and b) really a lot more than that because no matter what we think transit, any transit, only gets a minority subset of total trips.

Brampton should rebrand itself as "Canada's innovation capital: home of digital solutions network incubators" and just wait for the HSR stations.

I know you are kidding but why not...one of Brampton's greatest identifiers is our +/- 35% south asian population....a lot of civic money has gone into marketing the city as a place to do business for people from that part of the world....a lot of hi tech comes out of that part of the world now....why not market brampton as the south asian high-tech industry's gateway to the North American innovation triangle.......and why would the provincial government not help with that.

The 401 and 403 must not have very much traffic, I guess.

Right, exactly like how the Sheppard subway's the busiest subway on earth because it's right next to the 401.

mpd618 said:
As for metrics, I think any list of "actual metrics" should include some measure of economic and land-use impact.

I'm sure the land use impacts arising from the 1,000-4,000 daily travellers will be extensive and significant.

Back