News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Just a thought. Would the electrified track potentially be able to be used for freight as well? I'm thinking high speed freight which companies could pay the rights to use the tracks and ship products. Thinking this could be a potential revenue stream to offset some costs in parts of the line that wouldn't require high frequencies like Windsor-London, for instance.

The US I'd planning 200km/h deisel service to buffalo.
Is this a real thing that might happen within the next 20 years, or just one of those famous high-speed rail studies?

Why Montreal?
Because it's also across a border, leading to the same question of whether the other side of the border - and/or the federal government - has a serious interest in high-speed rail.

The safe assumption in North America seems to me to be that other jurisdictions won't build high-speed rail.

Conversely, if there isn't any real chance of getting a cross-border connection, then HSR to Niagara Falls doesn't make that much sense. Similarly for Windsor and Montreal.

Agreed. That's what I meant. Without the connection to the US, HSR to Niagara Falls is probably DOA. By Montreal, do you mean a connection south to Sherbrooke and area? Agreed that line south of Montreal doesn't make any sense unless the HSR line is going to Boston or NYC.

EDIT: Saw your reply to a similar question. HSR absolutely needs to go to Montreal. It's extending it south or east of there that's the question.

If the Liberals don't lock down this thing I will be out to get them, majority government the ball's in their court

Until the feds get on board I just don't see this happening. The province simply can't afford it.

It is in their budget and is part of the platform they were elected on....whether you or I think they can afford it is irrelevant.....they have said we can.

It is in their budget and is part of the platform they were elected on....whether you or I think they can afford it is irrelevant.....they have said we can.

Yeah this was a key promise in their platform and budget, and now they have majority so they can do whatever they want for the next 4 years.

Same with AD2W electric 15 min GO service on all lines.

It was a budget pandering to the NDP though.. I dont think the budget will be passed as is, especially if she's going to keep her promise of slaying the deficit dragon. On the list of transit priorities, I can't see this item coming first.

Until the feds get on board I just don't see this happening. The province simply can't afford it.

Half of the revenue from the transit taxes are supposed to be spent outside of Toronto, so I would imagine that the funding will come from there.

Yeah this was a key promise in their platform and budget, and now they have majority so they can do whatever they want for the next 4 years.

Same with AD2W electric 15 min GO service on all lines.

I could see them keeping the AD2W promise, as it best protects the Liberal's "fortress GTA". Most political bang for the buck.

Back