News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well, in reality, only the QEW has an official name. That's because it was the first freeway in Ontario, and it never had a number. On the other hand, the 401 does have the Macdonald-Cartier freeway name officially, and I rather like it, but it is simply not used much. None of the other provincial highways have names, so I don't really see the point of giving a name to the 427. Although Etobicoke Expressway does have a nice ring to it.

Conestoga Expressway/Parkway, E.C. Row (uploaded/to be uploaded?), Queensway (Ottawa), Chedoke Expressway, General Brock Parkway, Veterans Memorial Highway (416), "Highway of Heroes"

Most people still refer to it by the numbers, which is my main point. I always like the name Conestoga Parkway. I think it's be cool if they put up actual signs to note it.

Most people still refer to it by the numbers, which is my main point. I always like the name Conestoga Parkway. I think it's be cool if they put up actual signs to note it.
There used to be quiet a few signs - but after years of being featured prominently on the list of the University of Waterloo's Engineering Department scavenger hunt, I don't think there are any left.

Highway 409 had the name "Belfield Expressway" at one time.

I think Conestoga Parkway works (and is still used) because of the various highway designations along the route (one changed twice - from 85 to 86 after early 1980s downloading of 86 from Elmira to Guelph) and then back to 85 when all of what used to be 86 was downloaded.

Many Ottawa residents still refer to the Queensway rather than 417.

From my experience in Waterloo, Conestoga Parkway is still used a lot. The bigger problem is that people heading north often see the 8 and Conestoga as being one in the same. Queensway in Ottawa is often common usage, though I find when people refer to it with outsiders, 417 is the winnter.

No one in Hamilton uses the moniker Chedoke Expressway. This route ceased being the Chedoke when the 403 was extended above the escarpment and definitely fell from use when the highway was further connected to Brantford. I feel that most Ontarians use the number designation rather then the named versions when describing travel patterns. Tourists with older maps appear to use the named versions more frequently then the locals.

Highway 409 had the name "Belfield Expressway" at one time.

I think Conestoga Parkway works (and is still used) because of the various highway designations along the route (one changed twice - from 85 to 86 after early 1980s downloading of 86 from Elmira to Guelph) and then back to 85 when all of what used to be 86 was downloaded.

Many Ottawa residents still refer to the Queensway rather than 417.
Ottawa's an interesting case because the Queensway and the 417 aren't really the same. The Queensway follows the 417 through most of the city, but the highway splits just east of St. Laurent. The 417 goes towards Montreal and the Queensway continues to Orleans as a separate highway, the 174.

Don't see that's any different than the Conestoga, which starts out on 7, then on a combined 7/8, then finally on provinical highway 85 (formerly 86, formerly 85), and then regional road 85 (formerly provinical highway 85, formerly 85). Which is likely why everyone calls it the Conestoga Expressway years after all the signs disappeared ... because it's much simpler.

I have found that in general provincial expressways tend to be numbered (401, 427, 400, 407) and when named they are secondary names to the primary numbering system, and are rarely used in day to day language. See 401, aka MC, Highway of heros. Municipal highways tend to have named designations rather than numbers (Gardiner, DVP, etc)

Perhaps if the 427 south of the 401 were handed over to the city we could rename it the Rob Ford Expressway ;)

Here's what I think should be done at the very least:

1) Close off Vahalla Inn Road to street and pedestrian traffic and convert it into a full exit and entrance ramp to The East Mall, then cul-de-sac Gibbs Road. Reconstructing southbound exit and entrance ramps to The West Mall between Bloor Street and Burnhamthorpe Road is a lot trickier because Eva Road would have been the perfect location except that it serves as the only way in and out to an several buildings, including an apartment complex. Until somebody can come up with an idea without compromising access to these buildings, things on the southbound side will have to just stay the way they are.

2) The southbound entrance ramps at Rathburn Road can stay for now, but modify one of the northbound exit ramps so traffic can turn left or right and close off the other.

3) I don't know what else can be done about the Eglinton-27-401-427 interchange other than adding extra lanes and HOVs.

Thanks for posting. For the most part, a solid plan that while doesn't widen the freeway, it eliminates most of its pinchpoints - the worst was coming from EB 401 to SB 427 - a nightmare of weaving. The old Highway 27-era cut-offs are all gone, not an unexpected development.

I had expected more in the way of bus improvements, but the direct conenctions to Eglinton and the Dundas queue jump are OK.

One of the most interesting parts is the Renforth diamond and the new partial-diamond configuration of the Dundas Street interchange.

I really like the bus ramps, especially the one at Burnhamthope. It's one of those things that I've liked about Ottawa - how the buses can come off the highway, drop you off, then get right back in no time.

Back