39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

H

hkskyline

Ottawa, Canada

CANA0001.GIF

Ottawa Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/ottawa.htm

My friend invited me to visit Ottawa and stay at his place for the weekend. I didn't feel like studying anyway and wanted to get away from school for a bit, so I packed my bags and we drove to Ottawa.

1. The second half of my 2005 began with Canada Day festivities in the capital city.

RIMG0397.jpg

2. Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, who is defending his position in the upcoming January election.

RIMG0411.jpg

3. Since Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, the Queen is the head of state. Her representative in Canada is the Governor General, who resides in this building.

RIMG1166.jpg

4. The Maple Leaf is a beloved Canadian symbol.

RIMG1171.jpg

5. Yet the British influence is still alive and well.

RIMG1184.jpg

6. The highlight of my trip was the morning lineup at Parliament Hill, where I got tickets for two tours of the buildings.

RIMG0790.jpg

7. Examine the details.

RIMG0811.jpg

8. Did they move this from Philadelphia?

RIMG0585.jpg

9. Ottawa was chosen as the Canadian capital city because it wasn't as vulnerable to an American invasion as Toronto or Kingston. Good choice it was. Parliament Hill sits high above the Ottawa River, and is quite a distance from the American border and the Great Lakes.

RIMG0595.jpg

Detroit, Michigan

UNST0001.GIF

I was quite restless that summer. I was looking for a quick weekend getaway once again, and Detroit came on my horizon. I wanted to go to Chicago at first, but 3 days in that city wouldn't be enough to my liking, so I settled with a smaller city. Detroit was the final choice. I found a very cheap hotel deal in the outskirts of the city, and we were off.

Detroit Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/detroit.htm

10. Sunshine meets the beach

DE-DAY2-0019.jpg

11. Detroit's skyline is dominated by the Renaissance Center, the giant GM headquarters complex. The folks across the river in Windsor used to joke that they could hear the gunshots in the Motor City from their quiet city at night.

DE-DAY1-2002.jpg

12. Here's a close-up :

DE-DAY2-1006.jpg

13. This reminds me of the Wintergarden in New York :

DE-DAY2-1003.jpg

14. Henry Ford is one of the automotive legends in the US, and his museum in suburban Dearborn was well worth a visit. It's simply amazing. Not only were there cars, but also airplanes, trains, and even a concept house that sits on stilts and can be packed up and moved in a matter of hours.

DE-DAY1-2081.jpg

DE-DAY1-2214.jpg

16. Detroit wasn't as run-down as I had originally thought. There are some abandoned structures, but they were not everywhere really.

DE-DAY2-0159.jpg

Farmer's Market - St. Jacobs, Canada

CANA0001.GIF

St. Jacobs Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/to-stjacobs.htm

17. While I've lived in North America for quite some time, I don't usually frequent the farmers' market at all. I tend to hover around the supermarket instead and drive my car to and from it in a very environmentally unfriendly way. Before I flew back to Hong Kong, I decided to make a trip and see what it's like.

RIMG0059.jpg

18. I should've bought some fresh produce here.

RIMG0090.jpg

19. They sure look pretty.

RIMG0098.jpg

Seoul, South Korea

SKOR0001.GIF

If you asked me this time last year whether I was planning to visit Asia in 2005, I probably would've laughed off the matter. In fact, if anyone asked me even during this past spring, I would've shrugged off the idea. I swept Europe twice already, which I thought was more than enough for a year. But the opportunity came up, and I quickly booked a free ticket on mileage.

Seoul Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/seoul.htm

20. Since I was flying on mileage, I get a free stopover along the way. I picked Seoul because it was easy to fly back to Hong Kong from there, and cheaper to visit than Tokyo. Well, it was a good choice, but the weather wasn't very co-operative to me. Nevertheless, I had a great time, and the jet lag didn't destroy my itinerary.

SEOUL03-S02-061.jpg

21. I really miss these lively streetscapes.

SEOUL03-S02-054.jpg

22. Insadong was a treasure chest. Alley after alley of interesting things to explore. It was a holiday in Seoul so everything was closed, which was great because I had the streets all to myself.

SEOUL02-S02-020.jpg

23. There's something beautiful about the chaotic sign arrangement.

SEOUL02-S02-039.jpg

24. As you can see, the English signage wasn't helping. ;)

SEOUL02-S02-062.jpg

25. The railway stops here - a very original shop design!

SEOUL02-S02-097.jpg

26. Unlike many North American cities, it's perfectly safe to venture into every one of these small alleys.

SEOUL02-S02-111.jpg

SEOUL02-S02-115.jpg

28. Palaces were on my agenda once again in Seoul. There were two main ones that I didn't visit, and I managed to hit both this time. They reminded me of the ones in Beijing, but the Korean ones are a bit unique because they like using sand instead of stone pavements in a lot of places.

SEOUL04-S03-0226.jpg

29. But if you look at the signage alone you might not know you're in Korea.

SEOUL04-S03-0235.jpg

30. Korean palaces feature a lot of vegetation, which is something the Forbidden City lacks. The story behind that is Chinese emperors were afraid assassins would hide in the trees and bushes during the day and come out at night to do their work.

SEOUL04-S03-0325.jpg

31. Lovely setting isn't it?

SEOUL04-S03-0349.jpg

32. Window to the world

SEOUL04-S03-0370.jpg

33. I think this picture was a little too dark, but I really like the door.

SEOUL02-S02-233.jpg

34. Good old Myeong-dong never fails to impress.

SEOUL02-S03-062.jpg

35. More narrow alleys!

SEOUL02-S03-127.jpg

36. ... and even soldiers from an era long gone!

SEOUL04-S03-0057.jpg

37. Seoul has skyscrapers as well. There is an observation deck at the top of this golden beacon. If only it wasn't so smoggy I could've seen all of Seoul from here.

SEOUL02-S03-298.jpg

38. Toxic soup

SEOUL02-S03-336.jpg

39. A few buildings left a mark in my mind during my visit. One is the SK Tower and its facade.

SEOUL02-S02-292.jpg

40. The next one is Jongro Tower :

SEOUL02-S01-419.jpg

41. I could photograph this building from a million vantage points. How delightful!

SEOUL02-S01-529.jpg

42. The best part was fine dining at its top-floor restaurant, where I got a panoramic view of Seoul. The food was a little expensive, but it was very delicious!

SEOUL04-S03-0096.jpg

43. Now .. the view :

SEOUL04-S03-0101.jpg

44. The neatest thing was the restaurant was suspended above the rest of the building.

SEOUL04-S03-0144.jpg

SEOUL04-S03-0128.jpg

46. More nice views :

SEOUL04-S03-0158.jpg

47. 4 days later, it was time to say goodbye and head home to Hong Kong. I couldn't end a trip to Seoul without a tour of the amazing Incheon International Airport.

SEOUL04-S04-029.jpg

SEOUL04-S04-056.jpg

49. Opening the sky, connecting the world :

SEOUL04-S04-013.jpg

Hong Kong

CHIN0100.GIF

Hong Kong Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/hongkong.htm

Hong Kong seems to transform itself into something completely different every few years. The skyline changed once again with a few new 70+ storey skyscrapers since I last came back. At this rate, my photos will be vintage in a decade.

50. I never really started plane spotting until I visited Europe. The North American airports I've been to didn't feature much international variety. Frankfurt, Paris Charles de Gaulle, and London Heathrow were eye-openers. I kept an eye on what types of aircraft were visiting Hong Kong International. There was variety, but not as good as the European hubs.

OCT13-S01-096.jpg

51. Air Mauritius ... an interesting visitor, as well as the yellow one from Brunei in the background.

IMG_3487.jpg

52. Hong Kong opened a lot of new rail lines in the past few years. West Rail is the biggest one at 31km. The stations are bright and spacious, although ridership is below expectations. I guess people still like to travel by bus and not interchange a few times to get around.

IMG_2188.jpg

53. Thank you for riding the KCR. Actually, I only paid for travelling one stop in the end even though I rode the whole line and back. Yes, I'm cheap.

IMG_2217.jpg

54. I was talking with fellow Hong Kong forumer Sher last night and we noted that ten years ago Hong Kong's streets were full of the old non-air-conditioned buses from KMB and CMB. A decade later, the scene has completely transformed into a sea of golden air-conditioned buses. Here's one of the newer golden buses :

IMG_3033.jpg

55. But the trams will always be the same, hopefully ... unless their chassis gets renovated, right HKT? ;)

OCT12-S02-202.jpg

56. Yes, Hong Kong has a lot of very intense urban scenes.

OCT12-S02-139.jpg

OCT12-S02-144.jpg

OCT03-S01-218.jpg

59. When I first stepped into my home after a long period of absence, I noticed something different in the fish tank. Apparently the latest fad is to have pet clams along with pet fish. I wondered who would sell pet clams. Well, there's a goldfish market selling this stuff and more now, and the prices are really good!

IMG_2057.jpg

60. Meanwhile I stopped by the flower market in a neighboring street and lost HK$430 buying two dozen roses ... long story. Maybe I should've substituted cheap geraniums instead.

IMG_2015.jpg

61. I finally got my night photos to work, with the help of a tripod (thanks to a friend for that present - hope you're surviving in San Francisco!).

OCT07-S03-051.jpg

62. Oh ... the wonders a tripod can do!

OCT07-S03-039.jpg

63. I regret not taking even more night photos though and going out every night. I was a pretty good boy in Hong Kong. While the girls were calling me out to Lan Kwai Fong for "the drunkening", I was either eating dinner at home or touring the Peak with HKT at 11pm. :)

OCT07-S03-050.jpg

64. Hong Kong's skyscrapers like blinking lights. Even the new lighting scheme at the Bank of China blinks continuously.

OCT18-085.jpg

65. Too bad it was so smoggy. The photos have that yellowish tone to it. But at least it didn't rain. I had many sunny days and nights in Hong Kong. I actually had a whole contingency plan on what to do indoors if it rained, but in the end I had so many sunny days I ran out of things to do in the outdoors very early.

OCT18-122.jpg

66. I met up with the HK forum gang many times right away once I got back. Many were in town just before they jet off to the UK for school. I remember there were a few days when InitialD18 and I would scour the streets all day looking for stuff to see and to photograph. I think we both lost a lot of weight that we really need. ;) Here's one forum meet at the new West Kowloon Cultural District waterfront promenade.

SEPT22-S03-077.jpg

67. After 49 threads and counting, I'm going to focus more on the other side of Hong Kong beyond skyscrapers and neon here, since these aspects are not usually seen in the forum. You can check out my other parts of the Hong Kong series by visiting my website or starting with part 49 : Streets & Scrapers on the Island .

OCT01-S01-007.jpg

68. There are a number of fishing villages around Hong Kong still thriving with activity. Pick a few and enjoy their seafood like I did!

OCT01-S01-052.jpg

69. One of my favourite island escapes is Cheung Chau. The ferry ride there offers a very nice view of the whole skyline. Cheung Chau also has fishing roots, and is a popular local weekend getaway.

OCT19-S01-048.jpg

70. Hong Kong's sports history isn't as glamourous as neighboring countries such as China, South Korea, or Japan. But we did get an Olympic gold medal in windsurfing back in 1996. Lee Lai-shan is still a very famous Hong Konger today.

OCT19-S01-106.jpg

71. This boater decided to get to his craft by floating on a piece of styrofoam.

OCT11-S01-017.jpg

72. Maybe our next Hong Kong forum meet should be a beach party? I haven't been stung by a jellyfish yet while swimming in the ocean.

IMG_2708.jpg

73. Now we depart Hong Kong and move on to my other travels of the 2nd half of 2005.

IMG_3093.jpg

Hangzhou

CHIN0001.GIF

Hangzhou Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/hangzhou.htm

Travelling from Hong Kong to the mainland is quite cheap nowadays. I booked a tour to the Huadong region for less than US$200 all inclusive. There are expensive China-bound tours though, such as the northeast and western regions.

74. Hangzhou is a scenic city. You don't go for the skyscrapers, but for the parks and West Lake,

HGH01-S02-066.jpg

75. I really enjoyed the cruise of West Lake by electric boat.

HGH01-S02-094.jpg

76. I guess I can't cruise the lake on this boat.

HGH01-S02-186.jpg

77. Next stop : Wuxi, which I didn't know much about before this trip. But this is a very nice garden.

RIMG0102.jpg

78. Wuxi also has a lot of modern buildings. Here is a view from the hotel room :

RIMG0036.jpg

RIMG0001.jpg

80. I made a side trip to Wuzhen, which is something like a Chinese version of Venice, with homes built around the water and very narrow streets. The guide said it was a less commercialized version of Zhoujuang, which is probably right because the locals weren't really pushing to sell their wares to tourists.

RIMG0092.jpg

RIMG0082.jpg

RIMG0081.jpg

Watch for my photo threads in the upcoming weeks as I take you to Suzhou, Wuxi, and Wuzhen!

Shanghai

CHIN0001.GIF

Shanghai Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/shanghai.htm

83. Shanghai is a completely different story altogether. The city looks very furutistic, with a lot of bold skyscrapers popping out from left, right, and centre.

SEPT30-S02-202.jpg

84. This type of intense urban atmoshpere is quite common throughout the city.

SEPT30-S02-149.jpg

85. Chinese cities do a very good job with pedestrianizing streets. Nanjing Road is probably one of the brightest of them.

SEPT29-S05-003.jpg

SEPT29-S05-026.jpg

SEPT29-S05-084.jpg

88. Shanghai also has a lot of history, thanks to its role as a major international port during the early 20th century, when many Europeans did business with the Chinese in Shanghai.

SEPT30-S01-084.jpg

89. It was a good thing I visited before the National Day holiday. I can't imagine how large the crowds would get during the week-long holiday.

SEPT30-S01-158.jpg

90. My impression of Pudong is a "work in progress". There are a lot of empty plots of land awaiting development, and I expect they will be filled up in the long-term. China is trying to curb construction to slow a fast-growing economy, so even skyscrapers will have to wait now.

SEPT30-S03-001.jpg

91. That being said, I will go back to Shanghai to do a more detailed photo essay. I'm counting on you, InitialD18, to keep your promise, and HKT to get your China visa. ;)

SEPT30-S03-021.jpg

92. And now it's time to leave Shanghai and head to my last stop of my China tour.

SEPT30-S03-118.jpg

Guilin

CHIN0001.GIF

I actually haven't said much about my Guilin trip in the forum besides a flight report. The reason is I haven't been able to get to these photos in the past two months. At the rate I'm going through my photo CDs, I don't even know when I can get to them and post them online. I picked a few of my favourites to show in here, but watch out for more from this scenic part of China in the future!

93. Guilin is a very different city. First of all, lone hills pop out of nowhere in the middle of the city.

IMG_0289.jpg

94. Hence the cityscape is extremely beautiful and unexpected.

IMG_0287.jpg

95. The tallest peaks can also be climbed. I climbed two of these to get a nice panoramic view of the city. Too bad it was smoggy though. I wonder where did the smog blow in from. There's little industry in this tourism-dependent part of China.

IMG_0285.jpg

96. I also cruised the river to get a glimpse of these hills as well.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

101. There are a lot of such tourist boats cruising the river. But since there was a drought this year, the water was so shallow some parts were not even navigable.

IMG_0009.jpg

New York City

UNST0001.GIF

My friends wanted to get away for the Christmas break, and I was obviously interested. We had a hard time figuring out where to go at first, because we weren't sure how the holiday schedule would turn out. In the end we got a whole week off, and I suggested going to Europe again. But the prospect of going to Europe three times in a year didn't go well, so San Francisco was next since I found a cheap package. After some more discussion we settled for New York in the end. Ah well ... you win some, you lose some. :)

New York City Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/newyork.htm

102. There's a lot to see in New York, but the reason why I wasn't too impressed was because I visited New York twice in 2004 already, so I wanted to fly off to somewhere different this time. But then, I got to see a lot of new things in New York this time around, too, like the Staten Island Ferry.

IMG_3921.jpg

103. Now I've tried both the Staten Island Ferry and Circle Line, which should be enough to cover all of Manhattan from the water.

IMG_3942.jpg

104. Here's Manhattan with Jersey City

IMG_3976.jpg

105. I've always wanted to visit the Flatiron Building. Now that I had a chance, the front was under renovation.

IMG_4190.jpg

106. I actually had very co-operative weather in New York. I was shopping on rainy Boxing Day and the 27th was absolutely clear.

IMG_4181.jpg

107. I returned to Columbus Circle for lunch, opting for something a bit more fancy than the Wall Street food truck from my 2004 visit. Their Mediterranean beef was quite good.

IMG_4250.jpg

108. The Top of the Rock was the highlight of my walking tour of Manhattan. The layout was great and the sunset was beautiful.

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

110. A lot of my friends made it to New York this Christmas. I wonder if it was a mere coincidence but it was somewhat strange that so many of them decided to go there. Here's a postcard of Times Square to everyone :

IMG_4484.jpg

111. Almost every time I fly transpacific they serve that brand of cup noodles.

IMG_4442.jpg

Macau

CHIN0101.GIF

Last but not least, I spent a weekend in Macau with fellow HK forumer HKT. We had a pretty wacky adventure in this former Portuguese colony. At first I thought he was an avid gambler from the way he portrayed himself and in the end he turned out to be no different than a curious onlooker like me :) . We walked a whole day without any food and parked ourselves on the side of the street observing buses passing by. He thought I was bored but he didn't know I was photogaphing buses with him. I just looked exhausted from the heat. Good times.

Macau Photo Gallery : www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/macau.htm

112. I didn't think Macau was that dense at first but from a higher vantage point it is indeed a very congested city.

OCT08-S02-0172.jpg

113. However, Macau has done a far better job at preserving its history than neighboring Hong Kong. Its city centre is now a World Heritage site.

OCT08-S03-0033.jpg

114. I guess no city in the Pearl River Delta is immune to smog.

OCT09-S00-0132.jpg

115. The Kun Lam statue and Macau Tower

OCT08-S03-0109.jpg

116. Now this is quite an interesting contrast taken at the Chinese border, where passengers were consistently hauling boxes of Pringles chips, a specific type of beer, and Tempo kleenexes across the border. How strange.

OCT09-S02-0051.jpg

117. Race you across the border and see who gets shot first? ;)

OCT09-S02-0079.jpg

118. That's the new Fisherman's Wharf along the water. It just opened in 2006!

OCT09-S02-0116.jpg

Conclusion and Thoughts

2005 was another busy year for me on the travel front, like the two previous years. I tried to take advantage of every study break I could knowing that once I start working it'll be hard to take time off to do long trips. That being said, I don't want to slow down my travels in 2006 either. I remember when I did my Year in Review 2004 thread I had a list of places I planned to visit in 2005, and in the end I was way off, so I'm not going to have a list for 2006 anymore. A lot of things in my life just happen at random these days. Who knows where I will fly off to next.

2005 Destinations

Europe - London, Frankfurt, Paris, Munich, Geneva, Barcelona, Brussels
Asia - Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Wuxi, Suzhou, Guilin, Macau
North America - New York City, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal

Total Flying Distance - 28,125 miles

Related Thread : December 2004 - June 2005 Half Year Summary

Happy New Year & Happy Travelling!

2006.jpg

Re: hkskyline's 2005 Half Year Review (July - December) - 11

Wonderful pics - thank you! When I was in university, I used to travel like you. Now that I am finished school and working, I don't have the opportunities as much any more (just like you said). This year I was only able to take a Carribean cruise, a few days in Germany and a few short trips to Montreal - then I ran out of my paid-vacation time. Now that it is January again, I get a few more weeks!

Those are some fantastic pics!
Thanks a lot for sharing all those. It gives you a good idea of all the places you went to last 6 months.
You sure travel around a lot! Where do you find the time to go on so many vacations? I'm a uni student aswell, but we got to follow classes and make tentams 10 months of the year, with only a few weeklong vacations during the academic year. The only time you can take long vacations are in the summer (usually...).

I tend to go away during long weekends and the break between end of exams and the subsequent term (depending on how early I finish exams), so I can squeeze a few weeks here and there.

Then I took a month off for my grad trip.

Fantastic and fascinating pictures! Thank you.

Excellent compilation... thanks for that. I love the clutter of those main streets in Asian cities.

amazing shots. Well lit cities!!

Very Nice Photo Thread....i've actually flown more miles then you this past year...46,719 I never would've bet on that :)

how many pics of Hong Kong do we need on UrbanToronto?

Wow, thanks for that photo tour. I am on basic cable, so I will check out the rest on High speed soon.

Back