News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

J

james

I have been to Toronto before about 2years ago. My wife and I stayed in the Sheraton on Queen Street. We love Canada and go mall shopping like a couple of crazies. :D:D We are booked into the Sheraton again for a couple of weeks in May. Now we know generally where we went and how to get there, but for the life of us we cannot remember how to get to Square One shopping mall. I know we got on the metro at Osgoode station and had to change somewhere to a bus I think in Mississauga. Can anyone help me with directions and is there a simpler way to travel from downtown?

You can either take a GO bus from Union Station's bus terminal or take a Mississauga Transit bus from the TTC's Islington station (which is in Toronto btw).

Having said that, there's plenty of good shopping in Toronto too! If you're into malls The Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Sherway, Scarborough Town and Fairview are all good bets. If you prefer more urban-type shopping, all of Queen St (east and west), Bloor-Yorkville and parts of Yonge, College and The Danforth area also good bets.

Many thanks have been to a few you mentioned. Square one is our favourite it has a Zellers, a Walmart and a Sears.:):)

it has a Zellers, a Walmart and a Sears.

Oh good lord. Also consider the Upper Canada Mall, Markville Mall, and Scarborough Town Centre. There are at least 10 Power Centres to choose from too.

Where are you from James, that Zellers is exciting?
I'm near St. Andrews (the home of golf) in Fife, Scotland. My wife and I love Zellers.:D:D It has a beautiful dining area with the black and white checked floor, lots of chrome and pale green booth seating. Ah I am getting carried away again.:D:D You have to appreciate that we don't have malls in our country with the style and quality you have or the variety of shops. If we had seating in the malls like you have the yobs would just deface them. Ah yes Tuscani01 a bus straight there sounds good. I know Mississauga is still in Toronto but when you change at Islington you have to pay another fare to travel on Mississauga transport. Unfortunately tourists can't purchase weekly or two week transport passes. Oh by the way Chuck what's power centre? Is it a bigger mall or a town centre with a mall attached?

If cheezy dining experience is what you want, then go to Fran's at Victoria and Shuter or College and Yonge. The food is probably infinitely better as well...

A power centre is a large-format outdoor shopping complex usually along a major road and almost always only friendly to cars and not pedestrians.

I'm not a big fan of Square One.. if there is a reason for me to venture to the burbs for shopping (almost never), it'd be to Vaughan Mills, since it is a little different than the usual.

Thanks very much folks all good information. When we were downtown shopping we tended to pop into the University or is it college on Bloor St. It is near the Bata Museum but on the other side of the road. They do lunches for visitors as well as staff and students. Haven't been to Vaughan Mills will give it a visit.:):)

James, no good shopping centres in the UK? What about Bullring in Birmingham? Hundreds of shops plus good architecture to boot!

It is sort of funny to imagine tourists being drawn to Zellers or Walmart... really those are some of the worst examples of North American culture. Whatever turns you on I guess...

My wife and I love Zellers. It has a beautiful dining area with the black and white checked floor, lots of chrome and pale green booth seating. Ah I am getting carried away again. You have to appreciate that we don't have malls in our country with the style and quality you have or the variety of shops. If we had seating

Are you folks hipsters on an ironic vacation?

You should also consider the Dufferin Mall, on Dufferin street just a 5 minutes stroll south of the eponymous subway station. It has a similar shopping experience and takes, maybe, 1/3 the time to get to.

OMG, Zellers?

James, if you like Zellers...have you checked out Honest Ed at Bathrust and Bloor? The one and only largest discount department store in Canada.

I would not go to Sq 1 simply because it's just too far away. I've not been there for over 15 yrs, ha ha.

Check out other malls, Yorkdale is nice. Scarb Town Centre has Sears, Dollarama and Walmart as well.

I'm near St. Andrews (the home of golf) in Fife, Scotland. My wife and I love Zellers.:D:D It has a beautiful dining area with the black and white checked floor, lots of chrome and pale green booth seating. Ah I am getting carried away again.:D:D You have to appreciate that we don't have malls in our country with the style and quality you have or the variety of shops. If we had seating in the malls like you have the yobs would just deface them. Ah yes Tuscani01 a bus straight there sounds good. I know Mississauga is still in Toronto but when you change at Islington you have to pay another fare to travel on Mississauga transport. Unfortunately tourists can't purchase weekly or two week transport passes. Oh by the way Chuck what's power centre? Is it a bigger mall or a town centre with a mall attached?

Well Mississauga isn't in Toronto, its just in the area. Its an independent city... thats why you pay twice. The GO bus will cost you about $5-6 one way or $10 for a day pass. The trip takes about 30 minutes outside of rush hour.

PS. If you want to take the subway and bus, and want a weekly pass, you can now purchase a GTA weekly pass. It allows you to travel on all transit systems in the greater Toronto area with a single pass. I think its $43 for the weekly GTA pass.

James, no good shopping centres in the UK? What about Bullring in Birmingham? Hundreds of shops plus good architecture to boot!

It is sort of funny to imagine tourists being drawn to Zellers or Walmart... really those are some of the worst examples of North American culture. Whatever turns you on I guess...

The Bullring well that's one good shopping place but 200 miles away. It is not just the shopping it is the courtesy of people and cleanliness of your malls. If we go for something to eat usually we have to clear the table of other peoples meals before we can sit down. I can go on about the foul language from youths and the rude culture that is getting worse in this country but maybe that's for another thread. I take your point about Zellers and Walmart and yes you do have better shops as far as quality is concerned but maybe not price. Walmart or as they are known here Asda is a mainstay store for many people. It offers good value shopping for the average family at prices they can afford. Oh by the way great photos. I love good photography mainly black and white. I notice it says your are male and taken. I will give you a laugh. A well know soccer player who played for Glasgow Rangers (who was married) was known for his adventures with the female sex. Everybody seemed to know except his wife. When he was asked about his attitude towards his marriage he replied that he was only married from the neck up. He is now divorced!!!

Back