News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Well it's designed for their target demographic, not the masses. They're far more particular about what things look like.

LMAO, you clearly skipped reading many of my posts here.

I am most certainly their target demo.

Of course, I'm always found Holt's to be a bit kitsch.

Their over use of pink for a decade was legendary; their continued aversion to windows has correctly attracted derision here.

They really are too slavish to trends.

Last edited:
LMAO, you clearly skipped reading many of my posts here.

I am most certainly their target demo.

Of course, I'm always found Holt's to be a bit kitsch.

Their over use of pink for a decade was legendary; their continued aversion to windows has correctly attracted derision here.

They really are too slavish to trends.

I do skim. Like most things, people aren't all going to like the same thing. Personally, I avoid Holts like the plague .... in favour of Harry Rosen next door. I do like the look of that cafe though. Enough to make an exception and trudge through Holts to have a look.

It's very on trend. Years of white on white on white have probably led to these bold colour inclusions. I don't hate it. The blue does come across as less sophisticated. Maybe I've spent a little too much time at 55 Bloor or the Bank of Montreal Tower Toronto across the street to offer an impartial opinion.

Last edited:
More photos and commentary on the new Holts Cafe available in this article:

Alex Cochrane Reinvents Toronto’s Flagship Holts Café

Stefan Novakovic
Feb 25, 2020

2F0884CE-62D0-44B2-948E-26EF3BDE527D.jpeg
B376ACDE-2AEF-458B-BCB4-C0B1F0851FAE.jpeg
1427D2D6-CCDB-4E4B-ADA7-DB638D4F76EA.jpeg
Today.

Thanks!
It seems to have finer grain / more texture than the similar Nordstrom facades.
More like an ancient wall that says "established" rather than a modernist wall that says "clean, fresh" (like a bathroom or kitchen).

Last edited:
They should add a support system for rotating art displays on that blank wall in the restaurant. It would provide a jolt of colour facing the street.

Back