5.1K     0 

digitalis

Member Bio
Reaction score
From GlobeInvestor.com:

Home prices slip for first time in nine years
LORI MCLEOD

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Canadian home prices fell in June for the first time since January, 1999, as the number of houses for sale remained at record levels.

The average price of an existing home fell 0.4 per cent in June to $341,096, compared with $342,615 the year before, according to statistics released Tuesday by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA).

“The fall in home prices...is a sizable dip in this indicator, given that not too long ago the Canadian housing market was witnessing double-digit price gains,†Millan Mulraine, economic strategist at TD Securities Inc., said in a research note.

Of the 25 major markets included in the statistics, average home prices declined on a year-over-year basis in Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria and Windsor-Essex. The largest decline of 2.6 per cent was in Edmonton, while the smallest was in Windsor-Essex at 0.5 per cent.

Last month, BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. economist Douglas Porter raised the possibility of an overall drop in home prices in Canada. Most industry watchers have stayed with the view that home prices will rise slightly this year.

In June, Mr. Porter said it was “unnerving†to note that Canada's housing market performance appears to be tracking that of the U.S. but with a two-year lag, although he also sees a number of differences between the two markets.

He said he was tracking prices in the “middle ground,†cities such as Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, which still have fairly robust economic fundamentals but haven't been supercharged by the commodities boom.

Prices in those cities all rose moderately year-over-year in June, up 3.7 per cent in Toronto, 4 per cent in Montreal and 6.8 per cent in Ottawa.

The Canadian and U.S. markets are still very different, CREA president Calvin Lindberg said in a statement. U.S. home prices dropped by 14.1 per cent in the first quarter of the year, according to the benchmark Case-Shiller national home price index.

As price gains cooled in most markets, the number of resale homes listed nationally has hit monthly highs in April, May and June, and sales activity has continued to fall.

For the first six months of the year, listings on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) reached a record level of 332,958, up 8.1 per cent from the previous record set the year before.

Listings in the past three months reached record, or near-record, levels in Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa, Regina and Saskatoon, according to CREA.

In Edmonton and Calgary, which had an earlier and more pronounced housing boom than in many other regions, listings continued to decline from peak levels hit in March.

Across Canada, sales activity for the first half of the year declined 13.3 per cent from a year previously, to 169,265 units sold.

Sales fell most sharply in Greater Vancouver, where they dropped 42.9 per cent in June from the year before. Regina and Saskatoon also experienced declines greater than 30 per cent.

The increase in listings combined with slower sales made Vancouver, Regina and Saskatoon the “most balanced†major markets in June, according to CREA.

“The frenzied pace for sales activity last year has faded, with buyers now better able to shop around before making an offer,†Gregory Klump, chief economist at CREA, said in a statement. “Price increases are expected to be modest in the second half of 2008, as sales continue easing and new listings remain high.€

Prices dropped in 4 of 25 markets being tracked. It's noteworthy of course, but should not be blown out of proportion. Three "overheated" western cities showed corrections, which is probably somewhat healthy if anything. The Windsor area is hurting economically, with limited population growth and too many of their eggs in one basket (the automotive industry).

Just came back from the United Kingdom, where the talk is all about the continuing drop in house prices. Even in the 'property news' papers, there is the acknowledgement that prices are dropping.

I came across this today,

"If we are in such trouble in the real estate market, why are there 41,230 housing starts in the GTA this year of which 18,390 were apartments and condos (numbers provided by CMHC). Someone has to be buying these. And with new homes being built often there is a shortage of skilled trades available like drywallers and bricklayers. Looks like an opportunity to me."

Now thats a glass is half full person.

It reminds me of the Barrie Examiner, they ran a series of Barrie Real estate Is crashing articles in 2002 or 2003. After a decade of almost double digit growth, the number of housing permits was slow in booking for the next year.

Since that [apparent] crash in Barrie they continued for another 6 years.

All these media releases need to be taken with a grain of salt.

I think the greater issue is confidence in your future earning potential; to decide if you are making large ticket purchases.

Tonights news was "auto sales up 6 %" that immediately preceded the GM Oshawa layoffs. Go figure.

The only Values for real estate that can be accurately projected are historic.

I think the cities with the most to lose are those out west, where the price appreciation was most dramatic....imo, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon are going to fall....

Here in the GTA, where we have enjoyed a relatively steady 6-7 percent yearly annual increase each year since 1996, it should prove to be a more stable environment...I don't foresee huge drops in the GTA, with the possible exception of some price weakness in Oshawa....

You have to remember that places like Edmonton saw something like 30-40 percent gains in a single year, and that kind of price appreciation is just not sustainable...

When I was in England last month, the consensus was that house prices would fall between 10% and 25%.

I'm not planning on selling my Summer Palace in Riverdale, so if the same thing happens here I'll be delighted - with CVA my property tax may finally decline - yaaaay!:)

A drop of 0.06%......at THIS point. Remember, it ain't over 'till the fat real estate lady sings.

Sorry Urban Shocker all our properties would hypothetically drop in a downturn and low-rise housing prices in the old city of Toronto may well prove the most resilient. Remember it's all relative so even if your home's value dropped you would still be paying the same amount of tax as they crank up the mill rate, infact you may even have to pay more if prices in other parts of the city fall relative to yours.

I admire the optimism of people posting so far. Buy now! Especially a condo as investment!

Well of course I'm hoping that buyers will consider Riverdale to be vastly overpriced, and shun it, so it becomes The Land That Time Forgot ... just as it was 40 years ago. They'll buy run-down homes in the 1950s and 1960s suburbs instead, and fix them up, making them the new hot properties. And then, in about 15 years time, I'm hoping they'll all rush back downtown again, just as I'm selling, and Riverdale prices will skyrocket ...

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy ride."

Interesting note: why do I not see very many lights on at the Spire in the evening? Or Radio City? Are we on some conservation kick?

A lot of resales on Star of Downtown .... already.

Just wondering.

Yonge/Sheppard/Finch area is due for a correction along with downtown Toronto.... and by correction I mean they will see little, if any value increases for a few years as these areas have been saturated with inventory and a higher than average prices... I don't think we'll see any decrease in values as prices in Toronto are still realistic compared to other major cities... Correct me if I'm wrong, but Toronto's population is increasing by about 200,000 per year.

Back