8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

cdr108

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090514.whomesales0514/BNStory/Business/home

Third straight monthly increase puts numbers up 32 per cent from January's decade-long low, but still far below last year

HEATHER SCOFFIELD
Globe and Mail
May 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM EDT

OTTAWA — Home sales soared in April for the third month in a row, but the real estate market has not yet made up for all the lost momentum of the past year, the Canadian Real Estate Association says.

Sales of homes in Canada, seasonally adjusted, jumped 11.2 per cent in April compared to March, the largest month-to-month increase in more than five years, CREA said. The gain compounds advances of 10.3 per cent in February and 7.7 per cent in March.

Home sales volumes were a full 32 per cent above January's levels – the lowest levels in a decade.

“Simply put, this was a very strong housing market report,†said Millan Mulraine, economics strategist at TD Securities. “It is suggesting that the worst of the correction in the Canadian housing market may be behind us, and that the housing sector may be on the mend.â€

Compared to a year ago, however, home sales were down 11.8 per cent, CREA said. Still, this is a far milder decline than the record year-over-year drop of 42.2 per cent in November.

Prices are still lower now than a year ago, with the average sale price in April at $306,366 – about 3.2 per cent lower than April, 2008, when prices hit their pre-recession peak.

Indeed, economist Derek Holt at Scotia Capital Inc. doubts the month-over-month momentum can be sustained, mainly because the surge this spring is a result of unfulfilled demand from last winter and borrowed demand from the future.

Activity is strong now partly because no one was buying late last year when housing markets in Canada stagnated, he said.

Going forward, Canada is likely in for more deep job losses, which will hurt housing. And while extra-low mortgage rates and 35-year mortgages are spurring buying right now, those rates are poised to spike much higher in the coming years.

For now, though, the gains were widespread.

The volume of homes trading hands rose in 70 per cent of local markets in April, compared to March, CREA added. In particular, Toronto saw a 10 per cent increase, Vancouver's sales rose 30 per cent, Montreal was up 15 per cent and Calgary was up 31 per cent.

Still, compared to a year ago, home sales in Toronto were 10.5 per cent lower, Vancouver was off 17.4 per cent, Montreal was down 4.3 per cent and Calgary was 21 per cent lower.

The only cities showing a year-over-year increase in sales were Kitchener-Waterloo in southern Ontario, and Ottawa.

The key to the substantial increase in sales in the past few months is a growing realization by sellers that pricing has to be realistic, said Dale Ripplinger, a real estate broker based in Regina and also the president of CREA.

“Price adjustments in some markets have helped affordability. Second, lenders do have money for people and properties that qualify, although some are being more stringent.â€

A recovery of consumer confidence has also helped boost sales in the housing market, he said.

Lower mortgage rates are also a big factor, added Mr. Mulraine.

“It appears that home-buyers are taking full advantage, despite the bad economy. And this is certainly encouraging,†he said in a note to clients.

Also encouraging a more stable housing market is a continuing decline in the supply of homes coming on to the market, CREA noted. New listings in April (seasonally adjusted) were 1.8 per cent lower than in March, and 16.4 per cent lower than the peak of May, 2008.

The spring housing market has been more active than CREA had anticipated, prompting a small upward revision to its forecast for sales for the rest of 2009.

For 2009, CREA now expects sales to fall 14.7 per cent to 307,500 homes – slightly less than in its last forecast issued in February. Stronger-than-expected rebounds in British Columbia and Ontario were the drivers behind the revision, CREA said.

2010 should bring a 7.2 per cent increase in sales – a slightly weaker rebound than in previous forecasts because of downgraded expectations for economic growth next year. The rebound is expected to be strongest in British Columbia and Alberta.

CREA economist Gregory Klump said he expects national average prices will rebound slowly from the low reached in January, and begin to post modest year-over-year increases during the fourth quarter of 2009.

Activity always picks up from the lows of December/January to reach a peak in May/June. Yet, we have the RE experts pumping the 'surprising' numbers and BJL calling December 2008 the bottom ... only until December 2009 comes.

With inventory and active listings reduced by ~25% compared to the past 4 years, it helps somewhat to put a floor on prices. That's one reason why realtors are trying to get people to delay/limit product ... over supply puts pressure to lower prices even more.

Unfortunately, because of some of these tactics, there are still sellers, buyers and realtors out there still thinking a semi in an 'up-and-coming' area requiring TLC should fetch $500K.

Activity always picks up from the lows of December/January to reach a peak in May/June. Yet, we have the RE experts pumping the 'surprising' numbers and BJL calling December 2008 the bottom ... only until December 2009 comes.

I'd say it is pretty surprising that sales are only 10% down, and prices only 3% down, immediately after the full-force impact of the largest financial crisis in memory, and resulting global recession. Sure, the government has (thankfully) made some moves to mitigate the effects of this, and the results so far are pretty encouraging.

With inventory and active listings reduced by ~25% compared to the past 4 years, it helps somewhat to put a floor on prices. That's one reason why realtors are trying to get people to delay/limit product ... over supply puts pressure to lower prices even more.

I don't see why a realtor would want to get people to delay their transactions. If I was a realtor, I know I'd rather take my commission on a 10%, 20% or 30% reduced transaction than $0 on no transaction. Can you explain this alleged phenomenon?

Unfortunately, because of some of these tactics, there are still sellers, buyers and realtors out there still thinking a semi in an 'up-and-coming' area requiring TLC should fetch $500K.

Unfortunate for whom? The sellers (who are willingly buying in the current situation and their life circumstances) or the buyers (who are willingly selling and getting to keep their equity)? I also don't think it's unfortunate for the realtors.

I'd say it is pretty surprising that sales are only 10% down, and prices only 3% down, immediately after the full-force impact of the largest financial crisis in memory, and resulting global recession. Sure, the government has (thankfully) made some moves to mitigate the effects of this, and the results so far are pretty encouraging.
Exactly. Back in 2007 I was guessing a possible 10% price decline, which would bring us down to 2005ish levels. Instead, the prices went up in 2008, and then dropped back down to 2007 levels.

Prices still may continue to drop, but the market is actually still doing better than I might have expected.

Interestingly, the same thing has happened in Vancouver. While the prices shot up much higher, and the $ increase in 2008 was much higher than Toronto, the drop back was still to low 2007ish levels.

I do agree though that Vancouver is in a worse position. I could see them dropping more than Toronto does by next year.

I don't see why a realtor would want to get people to delay their transactions. If I was a realtor, I know I'd rather take my commission on a 10%, 20% or 30% reduced transaction than $0 on no transaction. Can you explain this alleged phenomenon?
Agreed, that claim makes no sense whatsoever, as real estate agents are paid on commission. In fact, the opposite has happened. Some companies/agents are lowering their commission rates in an attempt to attract new customers.

RE sales are seasonal ... lowest in December/January, highest in May/June.

ECO 101 ... the higher the inventory, even with demand staying constant, the lower the price. If inventory increases AND demand decreases, that puts pressure to lower prices. That has been shown recently with pre-construction.

If prices were to fall dramatically as a result, it would also result in deflationary pressure ... this results in people putting off buying in anticipation of lower prices in the future, which is worst for realtors since there would be less sales.

Unfortunate for whom? The sellers (who are willingly buying in the current situation and their life circumstances) or the buyers (who are willingly selling and getting to keep their equity)? I also don't think it's unfortunate for the realtors.

Please re-read statement ... artificially propping up valuations, may it be RE or stocks, is detrimental to true fundamentals.

Realtors will make their money off you regardless if you buy or sell ...

Last edited:
why would anyone compare April to December/January ???. What can of idiot would do that?. Dec/Jan is the slowest months in real estate sales no matter what year or location .... that's a given fact!!!. Spring is also the busiest time regardless of where you are so comparing these two is asinine.

That's one reason why realtors are trying to get people to delay/limit product ... over supply puts pressure to lower prices even more.

I heard that rumor tactics very often during down time, as realtors suggest the sellers to hold or rent out, and put the house for sale at some later time. Question is is it true? If it's true, does it happen a lot now? Anyone here know something about this please voice out.

I heard that rumor tactics very often during down time, as realtors suggest the sellers to hold or rent out, and put the house for sale at some later time. Question is is it true? If it's true, does it happen a lot now? Anyone here know something about this please voice out.
Quite the opposite is true, at least in my limited experience.

That is quite a common tactic by home owners, for obvious reasons. However, realtors will be happy to sell your place, at a lower price. Why? Because if they turn you away, their profit is $0. If they sell your home at a lower price, then their profit is not zero.

I've already said that several realtors have dropped their commissions for home sales in order to attract new customers. Why would they do that if they're just going to tell you not to sell?

how? they only make money on transactional work

That's understood ... what I'm saying is that one will make fees either as the listing broker or co-operating broker in the transaction.

Ken said:
That's one reason why realtors are trying to get people to delay/limit product ... over supply puts pressure to lower prices even more.

It was touted in every newspaper during the winter by realtors to not sell if they didn't have to, and wait until the spring.

Articles about real estate in the newspaper are not the same thing as dealing with individual agents.

The newspaper articles were just repeating the obvious, that sellers who can wait might consider waiting. However, once you actually call an individual realtor, they're more than happy to sell it for you... If you're willing to accept lower market pricing. In fact, for non-realistic sellers, much of their time may be spent trying to convince you to lower your listing price, so they can sell it for you and generate a commission for themselves.

Last edited:

Back