8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
Riding along the Lake Shore and hanging out on the Island it struck me the food and restaurants in these two places is simply God awful.

Why are there no decent restaurants on the Island and along the Lake Shore. It's all junk.

Comments?

Well, there's a pretty shady monopoly situation on the Lake Shore, but there are a few really good places to eat on the Islands if you know where to look. Here's one: www.therectorycafe.com

I think the seasonal nature of Centre Island is a major factor in the prevalance of PizzaPizza, Nestle ice cream carts, and lame hot dog shops.

I think by lakeshore you mean the central waterfront? I think it comes down to the area still finding itself. There are some decent places (the Watermark pub at Queens Quay terminal is good, as is Pier 4) but it's one of the things that makes me not a huge fan of living down here (the other being the lack of shops). Luckily my gf and I don't mind going to Shoeless Joe's for a bite or walking up to Front St, but certainly compared to the rest of Toronto it's a neighbourhood that is lacking. Oh I should add, the Real Sports bar that just opened in Maple Leaf Square is phenomenal (though not the waterfront, it's close enough). The food is really great there. I took some friends there last week and the one turned to me and said "it's like the upscale sports bar I'll ever eat in".

I ate at the Rectory Cafe this past Sunday. Fantastic service, very good food and relaxing outdoor patio/surroundings.

I think it's really the only option when you're on the islands. All of the regular pizza and ice cream vendors have hiked their prices up to criminal levels so you mind as well have a nice experience if you're going to pay such inflated prices.

And by the way, if you're heading over there everyone should really avoid the crowds and spend the $10 to take a water taxi. Very fast and zero hassle and you don't have to wait in that holding pen like you just got off a refugee tanker.

[...] if you're heading over there everyone should really avoid the crowds and spend the $10 to take a water taxi. Very fast and zero hassle and you don't have to wait in that holding pen like you just got off a refugee tanker.
Or just take your bike, take the ferry to Hanlan's point, and ride across the islands. Avoid the Centre Island ferry and you'll never have to deal with massive crowds.

Or just take your bike,

mine doesn't float.
taking the hanlons pont ferry requires waiting in line and then the holding pen...just like the other ferries.

I prefer the Hanlan's Point ferry as well. You have to wait in the holing area, but the lineup is always shorter and several centuries more civilized than the other ferries.

Definitely the way to go.

I think Rectory is decent on the Island.

But to be sure it and like spaces (major parks) could use better choices.

One problem is that the tender process is designed to condemn us to junk.

To begin with its 'highest bidder' in terms of payments to the City. Fast Food junk often turns a higher per sq ft profit that some little indy place doing neat things can't.

Also, to be compliant you often have to have 'experience' and 'security' and significant capital and insurance.

I'm not suggesting they should just turn places over w/o insurance; but the requirements are harder to meet if your a start-up or independent.

Still, if the added 'food quality' to the tender, I'm sure, people would turn blue; and the City would mess it up as bad as 'A la Carte'

What would be nice though is if the City could at least set-up a high end restaurant concept, and somehow loosely describe it (so as not to be prescriptive) and then let McEwan, Kennedy and O&B go at it to give us a 4* offer in say High Park or on the Islands or at Edwards' Gardens.

For variety in smaller concessions, it might be better to let a master-franchise go, and require them to find at least '25%' of tenants shall serve healthy options, or 'offerings shall reflect cultural diversity'. The problem being I can't see a way for the City to actually put a tender out that says, McDonald's and Pizza Pizza can not apply.

If you don't mind "foreign" food... Pearl isn't bad for Chinese, Jaipur isn't bad for Indian and Guirei isn't bad for Japanese.

I prefer the Hanlan's Point ferry as well. You have to wait in the holing area, but the lineup is always shorter and several centuries more civilized than the other ferries.

Definitely the way to go.

Or Ward's. Really; it's a "which comes first" situation, Ward's vs Hanlan's (and by picking the first one, that means less time in the holding pen)

Speaking of which, if you're lucky, a more homespun alternative to the Rectory might be whatever local, uh, hippie stuff's being served in the Ward's clubhouse--well, it beats Centre Island fare, at least in principle.

Oh, and for gastronomes, it's worth visiting the Islands in the summer for free Indian festival nosh...

I've dined at the RCYC Clubhouse a few times. The service was fine, but the view of the downtown skyline was just as memorable as the food.

The reason why the food on the Islands is so lousy and expensive is very simple. One company , Beasley Amusements, was granted years ago a complete monopoly for food concessions on all of the islands. There is no competition and therefore Beasley does not have to compete on price or quality. You have to bring your own food with you if you want to avoid getting ripped off.

As for the Lakeshore a similar situation exists in the Beaches where the city has granted one company - Tuggs Inc. a complete monopoly. This is the corrupt deal that Rob Ford spoke of recently.

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/columnists/sueann_levy/2010/05/23/14052766.html

Last edited:
And by the way, if you're heading over there everyone should really avoid the crowds and spend the $10 to take a water taxi. Very fast and zero hassle and you don't have to wait in that holding pen like you just got off a refugee tanker.

Ohhhh never heard of the water taxi, how does one find these water taxi?

On Queen's Quay at the foot of York Street (next to the Second Cup) you'll find water taxis. The guys running the show there can be a little gruff, but if you can cope with their barking of orders to the tourists then you'll do just fine.

I had a Pizza Pizza slice (I didn't buy it) a few weeks ago, my gawd, it tastes like string cheese on cardboard. Some franchises can produce an edible whole pizza, but apart from marketing (lots of ads and an old catchy jingle) and having a somewhat lower price point, I don't understand how this chain got so big.

Back