39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
How’s your 2020 going?
Looking at my own family’s experience in 2020 I think my clan is okay. My teenage kids kept themselves busy with online summer school, and have been making “play dates” (sorry kids, lol) with their friends and going to walks and bike rides. We now eat almost every dinner together as a family. I’ve been working from home since March and really flourishing with it. I’m much less stressed than I was before, my day starts with a Keurig coffee and walk the dog, then work in a nice, sunny room with my desk setup and stationary bike. I’m working a lot more hours, but I like my work and break it into 2-3 hour chunks with long breaks. I’ve started an app on my iPad called DropIt! and through careful calorie and exercise have dropped from 212 lb to 198 lb, so far. I’ve been riding my bicycle and motorcycle more, the former with my wife and the latter with my biker pals. My relationship with my wife is good too, we walk every afternoon and spend more time on the porch. I am glad my kids don’t look at university until 2021 or later, as that would be stressful for them, I might have recommended a gap year.

We all have sh#tty years. To me, 2018 was worse, both my parents died In their 60s from addiction issues, I got fired from my job, my dog badly broke his leg, one kid needed serious medical intervention, and my basement almost flooded from a collapsed and expensive to repair sewer line. In comparison, 2020 has been a relaxing walk.

Last edited:
I'm incredibly glad to have already been graduated from university, as graduating this year would have sucked mightily.

2020 has been a crappy year though. On one hand, I can't really complain because everyone around me is healthy and doing well, and has given me time to pursue further professional training and long-term career planning. But on the personal front, it has essentially set back all my year-end goals and objectives by 6 months and counting. It also has proven to be a terrible decision to change jobs back in January, just prior to the pandemic, had I known that job postings would effectively dry up for 4-5 months, I might have done things differently.

2020 so far would have been salvageable if the building gym was open, but it was not so I have felt bad for not exercising this entire time as well. The phase 3 openings have re-opened the gym with various protocols that make opening up in a small 40-unit condominium building impractical (these protocols were clearly designed with large condo towers in mind), so I am still stuck in limbo on that front. Plus someone has taken all the good weights to their unit when I checked the other day. :rolleyes:

Got a stay-cation instead of a vacation. Unfortunately, couldn't visit any of Toronto's "tourist" venues, couldn't see a movie, couldn't do almost anything outside of my home.

I really hope kids can go back to school in September, can't imagine not having that everyday to even out the world. Sorry also no Ex this summer, it's all so weird. If the teacher's unions can let the kids wellbeing take priority we might get somewhere, but let's not forget there is still a lot of politicking about education in Ontario.

I really hope kids can go back to school in September, can't imagine not having that everyday to even out the world. Sorry also no Ex this summer, it's all so weird.
Me too about the kids. I have to say I don’t mind the lack of festivals, the Ex, Pride, Caribbanna, TIFF, marathons, etc. Jobs depend on these, so I hope they all return next year, but the peace of 2020 has been nice.

Graduated high school with not a bang, but a whimper. No prom, no grad, no yearbook, no diploma, literally nothing has been handed out yet.

Have been cooped up at home wasting my time mostly. A few visit to friends, but mostly just mucking around online and trying to pick up new hobbies.

Kinda pissed about having to spend the first semester of university at home, though the savings will be quite significant. No residence fees/rent, no eating out, etc... it's like high school's extending for another semester.

(yeah, maybe I'm one of the younger members on this forum...)

Graduated high school with not a bang, but a whimper. No prom, no grad, no yearbook, no diploma, literally nothing has been handed out yet.

Sounds like when I graduated back when the earth was still cooling. None of that stuff either, but then again, I didn't care. I got my diploma in the mail.

It's been kind of a crappy year but not all Covid's fault. Wife got pneumonia in November, got into a collision in January, got charged (got off!! woot-woot). My truck got written off about a month later. A couple of close friends died - life when you get older. Covid was mostly boring until the weather picked up and we could get outside. Missed a planned road trip but life does carry on.

If people are stressed because they can't party (or go the strip joints apparently), shop, travel, etc. they need to reevaluate their life.

A slightly above average year. I don't really have anything to complain about, so far. Work has been stable to slightly positive. Home life has been uneventful; I live by myself, so children aren't a factor in my calculations. Friends are all doing fine. Family is fine as far as I know. My sister owns her own small business and it re-opened in full in July after four months closed, but is now operating smoothly at pre-COVID levels.

2008 and 2009 still stand as my number one and two worst years, respectively. That was way worse from my economic point of view, probably because I was only a few years into the workforce and withstanding such an extreme and sharp recession, however brief, was very difficult. It's been a steady uphill trajectory since then.

It's funny thinking about how my father would likely say the exact same thing but point to the early 90's when there was another 2008-esque sudden, sharp, but short recession which set back many people significantly, but then the economy turned around and it was the 90's boom. This one isn't like that though. It's a slow-rolling drain that's going to last at least two years or more. I am fortunate to have not been caught in the currents this time.

Last edited:
A couple of close friends died - life when you get older.
Time is a relentless bastard. I’m 49 now and almost every wedding I attended in my 20‘s and early 30’s has ended in divorce, and now several slightly older friends and relatives are falling off the perch.

Does anyone else subscribe to Toronto Life? We do, and I always end up with a slight FOMO. It’s like FB I suppose, where everyone is eating, reading, experiencing, meditating, etc. all the latest trends, while six figure income millennials are buying Bloor West homes. Meanwhile I BBQ up some burgers for the kids and sit here with my mug of tea. Maybe for New Years I should cancel that thing.

Time is a relentless bastard. I’m 49 now and almost every wedding I attended in my 20‘s and early 30’s has ended in divorce, and now several slightly older friends and relatives are falling off the perch.

Does anyone else subscribe to Toronto Life? We do, and I always end up with a slight FOMO. It’s like FB I suppose, where everyone is eating, reading, experiencing, meditating, etc. all the latest trends, while six figure income millennials are buying Bloor West homes. Meanwhile I BBQ up some burgers for the kids and sit here with my mug of tea. Maybe for New Years I should cancel that thing.

It might be a generational thing but of all the folks I grew up/went to school with and am still connected to, only one that I can thing of got divorced.

The grim reaper on the other hand . . .

I was saying to my husband that I'm actually quite happy right now. The most important part, obviously, is that we get along great even if we're together all the time. Mid 50s for me, late 60s for him and we are both vulnerable apparently, but we have been lucky so far; none of our friends and family members here, in Québec or in the United States have been affected either professionally or health-wise. I set up a proper workstation at home, and brought in my desktop computer and fancy chair from the office, and even though my "commute" was only from Bay & Bloor to Yonge & Adelaide, I have saved about 80 hours so far avoiding it, and I am compensating the lack of walking with a daily session on the stationary bike and have actually lost 10 pounds.

A quieter life has its appeal. I have to say the thing I miss the most is eating out. I have never been fond of patios and that hasn't changed, and eating inside remains unsafe as far as I'm concerned; besides, all the safety features are a turn-off. I'll be picking up dinner at Alobar on Friday and that's fine enough.

It's been a very up and down year. I've been grudging through university, deciding majors and whatnot, and also working this summer. The biggest plus has probably been recording and setting up my Toronto urbanism podcast City & Crumpets. https://citycrumpets.pinecast.co/ The first episode is with Shawn Micallef on the Sidewalk Labs cancellation. Happy to hear topic ideas or guests anyone has in mind.

I hope everyone's 2020 (it's not over yet!) is much better going forward.

I set up a proper workstation at home, and brought in my desktop computer and fancy chair from the office, and even though my "commute" was only from Bay & Bloor to Yonge & Adelaide, I have saved about 80 hours so far avoiding it, and I am compensating the lack of walking with a daily session on the stationary bike and have actually lost 10 pounds.
I used to work for a company based in Stratford so I worked remotely. However I didn’t want to work from home as I get a little lonely and procrastinate, so I convinced my employer to rent me a space at CSI Regent Park. I’ve changed jobs since and now work at Dufferin and Steeles, so have been working from home since March. I’m thus surprised how much I enjoy it. I’ve saved a lot of money not eating out, lost weight and last week received a rebate cheque on my car insurance due to Covid inactivity.

I was one of the lucky ones, who only felt the effects of 2020 in terms of boredom, some social isolation, and a lack of access to the gym but otherwise wasn't impacted. Those of us who aren't parents and who were lucky enough not to have job loss I think found that we were saving more money and generally able to get on life as "normal" as can be during a time like this.

Back