News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I define "rich" as the amount of revenue left over after expenses are paid. If you've got no money left after you've paid the bills, it doesn't matter if you've got the highest revenue on the planet.

Then tax more. We can afford it.

Hey if you want things to be better you have to pay for them. I don't know when we caught that American anti-taxation flu but it's about time we get rid of it.

"San Bostonisco?"
That made my day :), thanks. You know what i meant.

When I tell people I'm originally from Montreal the first thing i always hear is how Montreal's transit is so much cleaner and better. First off, cleaner? No, it's the same.
The service though is much much better. However, when i start explaining how the STM, and other transit agencies in the province, are funded everyone freaks out.
You can complain all you want but unless you pony up the cash then it will be status quo.

Realistically, I think a Toronto sales tax or some variation thereof - that is to say, broadened taxation powers - is the thing Toronto needs most...we need to reduce dependence on ontario (and federal) govt to get things done

This way, we can have a real discussion about how we want to improve Toronto for the future

Realistically, I think a Toronto sales tax or some variation thereof - that is to say, broadened taxation powers - is the thing Toronto needs most...we need to reduce dependence on ontario (and federal) govt to get things done
Could go the route Vancouver seems to be going this week ... and adding a Region-wide fuel tax to pay for Transit expansion.

Could go the route Vancouver seems to be going this week ... and adding a Region-wide fuel tax to pay for Transit expansion.

" that's just darlin' " if there exists the leadership to put it into place.

The Ford bros would oppose a regional initiative such as this one. I can hear them now saying "well that's just crazy" ...

Toronto only has one big problem:

Growing Population and Increasing Density --> Neglected Infrastructure

This problem is manifesting itself in a million ways, from inadequate transit to jammed highways to shabbier public spaces to ruder citizens.

And the one problem has only one solution: invest more into our infrastructure.

This means facing the reality that our rural and suburban past is gone, and that the future of Canada is more urban. Along with that comes having the balls to change our ways of thinking about where we live (the industrial revolution is over, cities are not inherently horrible, folks), how we get around (fewer cars, more transit, walking and biking) and how we live (build up not out, shared public spaces instead of private backyards, mixed-used neighbourhoods instead of segregated zoning).

But right now, the prevailing political winds are going in the opposite direction. Canadians, Ontarians, and Torontonians do not seem to understand or want to admit that the world is changing. Instead we are voting in politicians who are telling us what we want to hear: that everything can stay the same, that we are all poor even though we live in one of the world's wealthiest nations, that all tax is evil, and that we can pay less and less every year and get more and more. It's a fallacy, and it makes no sense, but we want it to be true, so apparently it is.

First, we all need to grow up and face the new realities, stop demonizing cities, and all agree that sometimes a bit of self-sacrifice (higher taxes, road tolls, fees that encourage behaviour that benefits society as a whole) can lead to a better infrastructure and more prosperous city/province/country for everyone. Until that happens no real meaningful improvement can come and our problems will continue to worsen year by year.

I look south of the border and I see many of Toronto's problems writ large. And I don't see any potential solutions coming along any time soon. I'd love for someone tell me my views are wrong, because I hate feeling so pessimistic about our future, but as of right now, I just don't see a realistic way out for us.

" that's just darlin' " if there exists the leadership to put it into place.
The Metrolinx report on how to pay for transit expansion after 2015 should come out in 2012 or 2013; we will indeed see if their is enough leadership in place to put it through.

There needs to be another 'Metro Toronto 10 year plan' like in the 1950s-60s, championed by Gardiner.

I read an interesting quote somewhere, that in that 10 year period, Metro Toronto spent about $100 billion in today's dollars expanding, renovating and adding to Toronto's infrastructure without going a cent into debt.

Somehow has to explain to me how that was done, as that has to be done again.

In an attempt to instill some humour on this outrageously beautiful Friday evening, I will suggest ...

Recall legislation! When the mayor's a dud, we should be able to kick his arse out.

BTW, I would have preferred a sex-addicted mayor (Adam) to what was elected.

That's the one thing I liked about Rocco Rossi's platform - his voter recall proposal. You don't see many politicians promising that.

As for Giambrone, he would have been a disaster methinks.

How about being a little more like this.
[video]http://youtu.be/EpAoCWKw8WI[/video]

For those of you who haven't seen High Line Park. I'd love to see more well designed parks like this in Toronto. (Sorry, the quality is not the greatest)

[video]http://youtu.be/M7mouWAA7AQ[/video]

Last edited:

Back