News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Well, remember *when* Mel was caught with his "no homeless" pants down--in the middle of a 1997 mayoral debate, IIRC a day after, yeah, a homeless person died on the street in North York...

Revisit the idea of having a master architect to coordinate the development in this city. The position should be part of the administration of this rapidly developing city.

The idea has been suggested before (going back several administrations) and more recently Miller sort of hinted at this again.

To clarify, the master architect doesn't necessarily design things, but has influence and power over how developments relate to one another, how new developments relate to existing streetscapes, and last but not least, influence over how public space is designed and maintained..right down to trash bins!

It is a far out concept for Toronto but the European cities get it.

Revisit the idea of having a master architect to coordinate the development in this city. The position should be part of the administration of this rapidly developing city.

The idea has been suggested before (going back several administrations) and more recently Miller sort of hinted at this again.

To clarify, the master architect doesn't necessarily design things, but has influence and power over how developments relate to one another, how new developments relate to existing streetscapes, and last but not least, influence over how public space is designed and maintained..right down to trash bins!

That would be a good idea, but careful who you get for that job! Belgrade still has one of the kookiest city architects in Europe. The man spends his days painting pictures of birds and criticizing anything taller than 6 floors. Under his tenure, Belgrade lost a slew of tall proposals because (and in his words): "tall buildings are ugly and cause the deaths of countless birds".

Just wondering who you mean by "they"? Because the Ontario Government has put Places to Grow at the forefront since they implemented it.

I'm glad to hear it but I guess I just haven't really seen it. I do still see increasing sprawl, lack of mass transit interconnectedness, loss of farm land and green belt, and well I could go on but you get my point.

And don't forget "416" as an alternate catchall successor term to "Metro".

It is now 416 & 647 for the City of Toronto, with 905 & 289 for outside Toronto.

However, according to the Star, the City of Toronto will be adding new area code 437 by March 25, 2013, with 387 for future use. That's at the same time that 365 will be added to the 905 area.

Confusing?

However, I think 416 will continue be the nickname for Toronto and 905 will continue to be the nickname for outside Toronto.

OTT.gif

Last edited:

That would be a good idea, but careful who you get for that job! Belgrade still has one of the kookiest city architects in Europe. The man spends his days painting pictures of birds and criticizing anything taller than 6 floors. Under his tenure, Belgrade lost a slew of tall proposals because (and in his words): "tall buildings are ugly and cause the deaths of countless birds".

Very true, Filip, who you get for the job is quite a sticking point, and it would all be subject to politics, like everything else. That is the chance that we take.

It is now 416 & 647 for the City of Toronto, with 905 & 289 for outside Toronto.

However, according to the Star, the City of Toronto will be adding new area code 437 by March 25, 2013, with 387 for future use. That's at the same time that 365 will be added to the 905 area.

Confusing?

However, I think 416 will continue be the nickname for Toronto and 905 will continue to be the nickname for outside Toronto.

OTT.gif

That map is messed up. It shows a tiny section of 289 in red, even though the whole 905 area is 289. Anyway.

905/289 is getting 365 and 742.
416/647 is getting 437 and 387.

I would take away restrictions of where you can open bars and dance clubs. I'd allow them in any area of Toronto and if there are complaints, then work out a plan to try to make everyone happy. (It's called compromise) I'd also allow longer drinking hours and patio hours. We need to cut out the red tape and have less restrictions. Oh god, did I just sound like Rob Ford? YIKES! Well, even a fool hits on a decent idea every once in a while.

Oh, and stop all that stupidity with the street food carts. Let people sell what they want, just like at the T&T Night Market. I had some GREAT Thai food there last night. (cheap too!)

We need some PERMANENT night markets with street eats. I loved it.

Remember the Avenues study?
I would like to see Toronto set up a development advocate. The sole purpose of this group would be to encourage "best and highest use" of privately owned property on the "Avenues" which have been identified as strategic areas for development and intensification.
This group could help owner streamline the development process, cutting through the red tape and spurring development. The costs of the employees charged with this task would more than be covered by development charges, permit fees and future tax revenues from increased assessments.
I would be surprised if many property owners are even aware of the potential of their properties.
Further to this, I would set up an means for private developers to team up with property owners where the owner retains a share of the development and the developer gets an ownership share as part of thier profit.
2311679092_75bc29fa70.jpg

Remember the Avenues study?
I would like to see Toronto set up a development advocate. The sole purpose of this group would be to encourage "best and highest use" of privately owned property on the "Avenues" which have been identified as strategic areas for development and intensification.
This group could help owner streamline the development process, cutting through the red tape and spurring development. The costs of the employees charged with this task would more than be covered by development charges, permit fees and future tax revenues from increased assessments.
Mpac's use of the the 'highest and best use" will force these properties to redvelop. They will face assessments that make current use impossible. WRT your other point, only non residential could be self financing. In most cases the ratio of residential to non residential will ensure perpetual operating losses for the city.

I see a lot of no-development green space on that map. Highly inefficient. We should focus our development efforts there. Sell the land to whatever bidder. ARE CHERAWNAW.

I would take away restrictions of where you can open bars and dance clubs. I'd allow them in any area of Toronto and if there are complaints, then work out a plan to try to make everyone happy. (It's called compromise) I'd also allow longer drinking hours and patio hours. We need to cut out the red tape and have less restrictions. Oh god, did I just sound like Rob Ford? YIKES! Well, even a fool hits on a decent idea every once in a while.

Oh, and stop all that stupidity with the street food carts. Let people sell what they want, just like at the T&T Night Market. I had some GREAT Thai food there last night. (cheap too!)

We need some PERMANENT night markets with street eats. I loved it.

Yes, exactly. Doesn't the city have a clause that allows the drinking hours to extend to 4am on special occasions? Why not do this all year long. What about encouraging roof top patios for restaurants who can't have a street patio. I always found Toronto had a good amount of rooftop patios compared to other NA cities.

Confusing?

OTT.gif

WKL and Everyone: Remember the topic I posted about areas being noted by their Area Codes?

Because that we in North America are running out of Area Codes I feel that another digit should be added to all North American phone numbers...

The question is how to do it: 4 digit Area Codes or 8 digit phone numbers?

LI MIKE

I'm glad to hear it but I guess I just haven't really seen it. I do still see increasing sprawl, lack of mass transit interconnectedness, loss of farm land and green belt, and well I could go on but you get my point.

They just released a report about the progress made over the first 5 years. It's worth checking out: https://www.placestogrow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=84
In some areas (like mass transit) it's near impossible to expect huge changes in such a short time, though it's fair to say there have been improvements to GO's service and the Metrolinx plan is another aspect that builds on Places to Grow. I also think there have been some massive wins too in terms of preservation of farmland (North Oakville comes immediately to mind) and as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any sprawl into the Greenbelt, so i'm not sure what you're refering to there (unless I missed something?).

Either way, Places to Grow is guiding everything, and I think so long as it's allowed to continue should there be a change of government in the future, it will only do more for all of these important issues.

Yes, exactly. Doesn't the city have a clause that allows the drinking hours to extend to 4am on special occasions? Why not do this all year long. What about encouraging roof top patios for restaurants who can't have a street patio. I always found Toronto had a good amount of rooftop patios compared to other NA cities.

I realize its a provincial issue, but I want to be able to buy beer at my corner store :p

Back