News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I don't understand how GTA cities don't have daily papers. Welland, NF and St Catharines all have dailies. Sure, I guess you could argue that part of being in the GTA is being tapped into Toronto in many ways including media, but you'd think there'd be enough interest to make a go of it in markets much bigger than those Niagara cities.

Until the early ninties, Oshawa and Brampton had honest-to-goodness daily papers - the Oshawa Times and Brampton Times. I believe both were Southam papers, and most of the news were from the wires. They were something like the Belleville Intellegencer or the or the St. Catharines Standard. Metroland/Star helped put them out of business, this was long before the decline of the newspaper industry in general. Despite getting rid of the competition, the Metroland fishwraps never stepped up their game, and the Star pretended to fill the gap with their GTA ad campaign "we see a Greater Toronto" etc.

I was at BBQ downtown yesterday. We were talking about the Mayor's Race. One fellow, a strapping vicarious young man around 30, chimed that he was voting for Rob Ford. I asked him where he lived. He said " Brampton. " Swimming silently in a pond of irony, I said, " Alright. "

Many people in the suburbs don't understand the first thing about city politics. It's amazing. I guess, in addition to all the other things they no longer teach in school, they don't teach this.

It'd be interesting to see how many "write-in" votes Ford gets in the 905, though. (And such characters are probably duncey enough to thing write-in votes count.)

It is a little insane how little people who live in 905 areas tend to know about their own municipal politics. The way someone from 905 can rag on Toronto councillors for their salaries and benefits when their own town or city councillor is almost definitely getting paid more is more than a little annoying.
So Toronto's 40% voter turnout gives us the right to be morally superior. Who knew?

It is a little insane how little people who live in 905 areas tend to know about their own municipal politics.

Considering that Rob Ford of all people is leading the polls in the Toronto mayor race, I would say that the 416 doesn't know much about their own municpal politics either.

There should be more attention on the "scandal" in Mississauga politics and how Hazel will be able to keep her job much more easily than Rob Ford winning the T.O. mayoralty (which obviously, is not yet a done-deal).

When you see these sorts of things happening in modern-day real-life, it's not too much of a stretch to realize the mechanics behind the rise to power of a certain unnamed political party in a certain Western European country in the 1930's...

(Integrity of thread preserved; Godwin's law NOT breached!)

Mississauga is not rural.
I remember being at a OHA Marlies game in Maple Leaf Gardens in the early 80's, and my friend and I were making fun of a group of kids from Mississauga and calling them farmers and hicks. I belatedly apologize for acting like an ugly Torontonian.

I miss Marlie games at MLG.

2/3? I don't think so. Maybe 1/3.

Did Erin Mills or Meadowvale even exist in the early 1980's? From the looks of the houses in those areas, I don't think they did!

Wouldn't be surprised if the entire swath north of the 403 was farmland back when Empire Strikes Back was playing in theatres.

Back