News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Did Erin Mills or Meadowvale even exist in the early 1980's? From the looks of the houses in those areas, I don't think they did! .
When I moved to Canada in 1976 my parents bought a newly built town house at Derry Rd. and Glen Erin. Soon after, they bought a new detach house at Winston Churchill and Derry Road. In the early 1980s I remember as a kid seeing tons of farms. Really, when I think about it, Hazel's term as mayor has encompassed the entire destruction of Mississauga's farmland.

Meadowvale has existed since the early 1970s. Probably includes the townhouse Admiral refers to at Derry and Glen Erin. The term Erin Mills refers to a pretty large area, built over many years. Certainly parts of it were built in the late 1970s to early 1980s, although the Churchill Meadows area, which some would say is part of Erin Mills, is still being built out now.

Media? There were two local papers at one time, but now there is just the Mississauga News, which largely serves to provide the excuse to get a pretty substantial package of advertising flyers into mailboxes. It's really a thinly disguised advertising delivery system.

I remember in 1980/81, the only thing north of Burnhamthorpe was Square One. Meadowvale and Streetsville will were small communities, way up in the north west, sepparated by lots of farmland. When I played hockey in Meadowvale, my mom would make sure we had blankets, candles and food in the car, just in case we went off the road. Malton and the airport were in the other corner, but you kind of had to go through Etobicoke to get there. Even Dixie Rd. was pretty rural north of Burnhamthorpe at that time..

Meadowvale has existed since the early 1970s. Probably includes the townhouse Admiral refers to at Derry and Glen Erin. The term Erin Mills refers to a pretty large area, built over many years. Certainly parts of it were built in the late 1970s to early 1980s, although the Churchill Meadows area, which some would say is part of Erin Mills, is still being built out now.

Actually, Erin Mills and Meadowvale are the twin nucleii of E.P Taylor's land holdings in the W part of Toronto Township/Mississauga, so what developed here as a "New Town" from the beginning of the 1970s was a kind of supersequel to Don Mills.

Incidentally, E.P. Taylor's chief planner, Macklin Hancock, just died.

It is an interesting topic this. Even though the GTA has evolved/developed (without commenting on if this is positve/negative) into a city/region where more people live outside of the "main" city than in it, the media has clearly not lost its central focus.

For example, there is a fairly serious mayoralty candidate in the GTA who has as a key part of platform a proposal to build a complex with a 34,000 seat stadium and a smaller stadium/arena next to it with a retractable roof.....and I bet that just about no one has heard of him nor his platform (and stadiums and such are typically the sort of sexy items that attract media attention). Obviously he is not a candidate in Toronto....so it goes un-noticed/un-reported and, because of this a fair number of people who could vote for this guy (if this was something they were interested in) might never hear of the idea.

I am pretty sure all that industry around Eglinton/Dixie south of 401, west of Etobicoke Creek, and east of 403 is from the 70's.

You can tell that a lot of Meadowvale was developed the 60s or 70s (more likely 70s) because of all the rental apartment buildings around Meadowvale Town Centre. The fact that MTC was a mall instead of a power centre also suggests it is old. The section south of Derry, east of Tenth Line, north of Britannia, and along Copenhagen Rd north of Derry must be from the 70's at the latest based on a glance at Google Map satellite images. Bottom line: Meadowvale is a 70's community.

The former town of Streetsville of course was already fully developed way before that. Even the developments along Falconer must be from before the 80's. The Vista Heights neighbourhood could be from the 70's.

Of course Malton and its surrounding industries are mostly from the 60s.

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember when Square One had a huge open air courtyard in the middle? As a kid my brothers and I would play on the playgrgound they had there, with the rubberized flooring, and then visit the Hobby Shop with its AFX and Tyco race cars on the upper level inside the mall. Of course those were different times, Square One used to have free (or cheap) childrens movies (Laurel & Hardy, Three Stoogies, not Disney stuff) in the threatre so the parents could go shopping.

Even the developments along Falconer must be from before the 80's. The Vista Heights neighbourhood could be from the 70's.

Indeed, Falconer almost has an aura of being a "prototype" for Meadowvale development--I'd almost be willing to nominate it as an HCD of 70s planning...

You can tell that a lot of Meadowvale was developed the 60s or 70s (more likely 70s) because of all the rental apartment buildings around Meadowvale Town Centre. The fact that MTC was a mall instead of a power centre also suggests it is old. The section south of Derry, east of Tenth Line, north of Britannia, and along Copenhagen Rd north of Derry must be from the 70's at the latest based on a glance at Google Map satellite images. Bottom line: Meadowvale is a 70's community.

I now know for a fact that the subdivision along Edenwood which stretches between Aquitaine, Battleford, and Tours (and beyond Tours) was built between 1980 and 1982; so were the schools which serve that area.
How do I know this? Because we own a house in that area. Gasp!
Yes I should have just looked at some of our archived paperwork rather than speculate...

The former town of Streetsville of course was already fully developed way before that. Even the developments along Falconer must be from before the 80's. The Vista Heights neighbourhood could be from the 70's.

Streetsville's "high street" is from the 19th century, but it's suburban portion is from the 50's.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Vista Heights-ish zone to the west is definitely 50s onward--sort of like Streetsville's equivalent to Georgetown's Delrex neighbourhood...

It is an interesting topic this. Even though the GTA has evolved/developed (without commenting on if this is positve/negative) into a city/region where more people live outside of the "main" city than in it, the media has clearly not lost its central focus.

For example, there is a fairly serious mayoralty candidate in the GTA who has as a key part of platform a proposal to build a complex with a 34,000 seat stadium and a smaller stadium/arena next to it with a retractable roof.....and I bet that just about no one has heard of him nor his platform (and stadiums and such are typically the sort of sexy items that attract media attention). Obviously he is not a candidate in Toronto....so it goes un-noticed/un-reported and, because of this a fair number of people who could vote for this guy (if this was something they were interested in) might never hear of the idea.
And that most of the mayoral candidates of that city want to attract a university to the downtown because "all the other cities in the region have one."

It honestly doesn't help that the Brampton Guardian has abysmal election coverage in the first place.

And that most of the mayoral candidates of that city want to attract a university to the downtown because "all the other cities in the region have one."

It honestly doesn't help that the Brampton Guardian has abysmal election coverage in the first place.

Agree with you about the Guardian...........but my point was that I would have thought some candidate proposing a 34k CFL stadium with an adjacent retractable roof Kabbadi stadium would have got some media attention outside of Brampton.

Back