News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Interesting. Was any of that added after the fact? I do believe that at least one of them has 2-conductor wiring at least in one part of the house, but I don't know about the other parts of the house or the other neighbours.

No. All original wiring, done in 1958.

Hold your breath.

...and I should apologise?

I understand the code, you clearly don't....why don't you be a man and admit that you're clueless and don't understand electricity....I've read your other posts...you're dangerous.
Your arrogance will get you killed.

You should apologize for giving such deadly and uninformed advice....you really don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps you should just quote the section that says a GFCI creates a safety ground....and then apologise ;)

Interesting AGTO.. just like the previous thread, you silently walked away once proven wrong. It's nice being just a name behind a screen isn't it?

I ask again, please, point out my dangerous advice that I've given on this board. If I've done so I want to rectify it immediately.

Please point out where I've been arrogant. I don't think I've been arrogant up till now, but an expert like yourself can probably sniff it out better than me.

Please tell me what mis-information I've given that I should apologize for and should force me to man up and admit that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Please, quote the code I've given to you and show me the error in my interpretation of it.

I don't mind being wrong and will freely admit when I am, but I really don't like being slandered.

For the record, I won't do my own electrical wiring, precisely because I think it's stupid for n00bs to do electrical.

Oh and I won't do plumbing or gas either. I can understand somebody doing their own plumbing though, since a mistake there will just wreck the house, not kill you. ;)
Hmmm...

House burns down in North York

Police and firefighters at the scene were told that a plumber was working in the home when the fire broke out.

Eug, I don't think this is the best forum to answer your question. I have only come across 2-prong receptacles associated with Knob-and-Tube wiring. The exception being switched-receptacles in living rooms for standing lamps.

The GFCI unit will improve the situation but it is not a long-term solution. I have found it ALWAYS makes sense to re-wire any old home. Old homes that have been periodically remodelled over the years tend to have a lot of wiring issues to resolve.

The unfortunate thing is that while these costs make your home a better place, they don't really add much value to the re-sale cost. They do however effect your standard of living and enjoyment of the property.

This is not something to freak out about. Injuries or death and fires caused by electrical problems are very rare. Given the substandard state of the electrical systems in most (even newer) houses and how idiotic people can be, this rarety of events is encouraging and tells you that the risks are small both to person and property. This of course is no excuse not to move towards a fully safe and "better than" code compliant building.

Interesting AGTO.. just like the previous thread, you silently walked away once proven wrong.

Not at all, I've made my point, explained it to you , but you don't want to understand. Enjoy your bliss.

Not at all, I've made my point, explained it to you , but you don't want to understand. Enjoy your bliss.

You've made no points and gave no explanations. Just spewed out nasty slander.

For your own sake, you really need to get a third party to read some of the threads you've "contributed" to, don't tell them that you are AGTO and ask them what they think of that person. Perhaps it would give you a better perspective on the type of person you are. But I'm not holding out much hope..

Eug, I don't think this is the best forum to answer your question. I have only come across 2-prong receptacles associated with Knob-and-Tube wiring. The exception being switched-receptacles in living rooms for standing lamps.

The GFCI unit will improve the situation but it is not a long-term solution. I have found it ALWAYS makes sense to re-wire any old home. Old homes that have been periodically remodelled over the years tend to have a lot of wiring issues to resolve.

The unfortunate thing is that while these costs make your home a better place, they don't really add much value to the re-sale cost. They do however effect your standard of living and enjoyment of the property.

This is not something to freak out about. Injuries or death and fires caused by electrical problems are very rare. Given the substandard state of the electrical systems in most (even newer) houses and how idiotic people can be, this rarety of events is encouraging and tells you that the risks are small both to person and property. This of course is no excuse not to move towards a fully safe and "better than" code compliant building.
Actually, it was just for interest's sake, as they're not actually my home(s). I had not encountered this situation before. I had assumed all 2-prong stuff was knob-and-tube but it turns out I was wrong. There is a transition period in the 1950s it seems. Jarrek also had a similar experience: No knob-and-tube, yet still had lots of 2-prong receptacles. However, in his situation, his wiring was actually 3-conductor. His house was built in 1958, so perhaps by the late 50s 3-conductor wiring was becoming more consistently installed.

My own house has modern wiring throughout the house, since it was built in the 90s (and 2000s for the addition).

Back