Votes: 37 25.2%
  • Between 45 minutes and 1 hour

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • Between 1 to 1½ hours

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Over 1½ hours

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
My best friend begins his commute from St. Clair and Dufferin to Streetsville (401/Creditview area) next week. Google Maps has 30-50 minutes during peak rush hour. 30 minutes seems awfully short, even with a reverse commute. Anyone have experience doing a similar commute?

While obviously not an accurate way to estimate commuting time, if I have to ballpark a figure, I'll usually take the Google estimated time in free flowing traffic and then double it!

My best friend begins his commute from St. Clair and Dufferin to Streetsville (401/Creditview area) next week. Google Maps has 30-50 minutes during peak rush hour. 30 minutes seems awfully short, even with a reverse commute. Anyone have experience doing a similar commute?
I commute to Mississauga from East Etobicoke, and it's about 15 minutes if I leave by 7:30, but can get up to 45 minutes if I leave anytime after that. I can see how it could take 30 minutes if your friend left early enough. Also, if he/she set it for next week on Google, the time may not reflect actual rush-hour times as school will be out, and traffic isn't as bad.

With school out and the summer season upon us, are those who brave city traffic noticing shorter commute times? Personally, it seems to be a little bit better but the bottleneck locations are still bottlenecks and the more fluid sections of road are just a little more fluid than before. Overall, it's slightly better but not enough to warrant a celebration or anything!

Summer doldrums mean less traffic, shorter travel times
But extensive roadway construction cuts back on time savings.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...less-traffic-volume-shorter-travel-times.html

With school out and the summer season upon us, are those who brave city traffic noticing shorter commute times? Personally, it seems to be a little bit better but the bottleneck locations are still bottlenecks and the more fluid sections of road are just a little more fluid than before. Overall, it's slightly better but not enough to warrant a celebration or anything!

Summer doldrums mean less traffic, shorter travel times
But extensive roadway construction cuts back on time savings.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...less-traffic-volume-shorter-travel-times.html
With the combination of start of summer holiday season and the reopening of the lane on the Gardiner my commute this week (with the exception of one day when an accident bottled things up) has been ~15 minutes shorter than it was before the construction on the Gardiner ended.....gut feel is about half of that saving is due to the construction ending and half is the start of summer.

Commuting into downtown or contraflow? I'm guessing into downtown, as my observations were different against traffic.

The revised GO train schedule on Lakeshore West has my train departing my home station 8 minutes later than before, and arriving at at Union only 8 minutes later than before, but in reality my PRESTO tap offs show the train has consistently arrived only 2-3 minutes later.

My commute has changed, so now driving from Cabbagetown to QEW and Hurontario for 8:30-5pm job. I’m finding it’s taking almost as long to get from Jarvis and Lakeshore to Parliament and Carlton as it does from Hurontario to the Jarvis exit. And I’m so sick of the able-bodied beggars at the Jarvis exit, but that’s another story.

I have to get to Bloor/Yonge from the west end of Kitchener twice per week.

Depending on which mode I take (single car family), it can take anywhere from 1hr30m (driving all the way) - 3hr (walk / GRT / GO train / subway).

I've generally settled on driving to Aldershot as taking GO as the happy medium where I don't need to rely on the tight transfer in Kitchener and can still avoid the bottlenecks in Mississauga and on the Gardiner. This cuts the total time down to a generally predictable 2 hours in and 2 hrs 30 home.

Not ideal, but it's where I find myself at the moment and thankfully my work is flexible that I can arrive early and leave by 3 with no issue.

Living off campus at UW, I can take the 31 on GRT for 10 minutes to get to campus + 10 minutes of walking, the 12 & 200 f0r 10-20 minutes, the 12 for 15-20 minutes + 5 minutes of walking.

If I need to go to Toronto/The Airport (CoOp), the 6 plus GO, so 2 1/2 hours (2hrs if the express train). I have it really lucky.

25 minutes by car when I work my typical 10-6 day, 40 if I work more standard hours, 1:15 if I get lucky with the bus and Lime Scooter it, 1:35 by bus without luck and scooters.

Back when I used to work at the Loblaw's at Yonge and Glen Echo It could take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 Hours to commute from Scarborough. It would all depend if I could catch the 97C at Lawrence. Since that bus only runs once every half hour it decided whether I got to work on time or late. Luckily I worked overnight and my manager was really laid back. The 97C usually pulled in around 9:45pm and would leave around 10:00 and I would arrive at work around 10 minutes later. The Eglinton Crosstown would have been a god send while I worked there (It could easily shave at least 20-30 minutes off my commute).

Back when I used to work at the Loblaw's at Yonge and Glen Echo It could take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 Hours to commute from Scarborough. It would all depend if I could catch the 97C at Lawrence. Since that bus only runs once every half hour it decided whether I got to work on time or late. Luckily I worked overnight and my manager was really laid back. The 97C usually pulled in around 9:45pm and would leave around 10:00 and I would arrive at work around 10 minutes later. The Eglinton Crosstown would have been a god send while I worked there (It could easily shave at least 20-30 minutes off my commute).
That reminded me of my summer jobs at Ontario Place in the early 1990s. I had to get from Warden and Kingston Road to work and back. And almost always it was much faster to simply ride my bicycle rather than take the trio of bus, subway and streetcar on the TTC, especially since one then had to walk to Ontario Place. Transit stinks in TO.

That reminded me of my summer jobs at Ontario Place in the early 1990s. I had to get from Warden and Kingston Road to work and back. And almost always it was much faster to simply ride my bicycle rather than take the trio of bus, subway and streetcar on the TTC, especially since one then had to walk to Ontario Place. Transit stinks in TO.
For me the big problem was the fact there is only 1 major east-west line in Toronto (although going North-South isn't exactly fun either). Basically my commute ended with me on the SRT, BD and YUS both to and from work (unless I worked Saturday Night/Sunday Morning since then I would have to take the bus home). Having the EC would have made my life much simpler.

Basically my commute was (Going to Work): 54 to Lawrence East -> SRT to Kennedy -> BD to Yonge -> YUS to Lawrence -> 97C to Glen Echo.

Going home was the same but in reverse with the added bonus of having to commute south on the YUS at 7am from either Lawrence or York Mills depending on which 97 showed up first. (imagine my joy). Only on Sundays was it different since I would need to take the 97 to Eglinton and get on the 54/354 since the Subway wasn't open at 7am.

Last edited:

Back