8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

js97

Member Bio
Reaction score
Realtors in Toronto have managed to set up the perfect scheme to turn logical and rational people into making hasty and emotional decisions through blind bidding wars (and end up paying way above value.)

Any ideas on how to beat this extremely unfair practice?

Some of ones I've come across

1. refuse to engage in bidding wars - easier said then done
2. Ask your agent to send in an early offer (The selling agent is legally obligated to show the offer, even if it's sent in a few days early) - You'll have to really fight your realtor regarding doing this - and if he's working or you, he should be sending it in - just make sure it expires way before the 'supposed' offer date - so it can't be used as leverage for someone else's offer.

3. Call the listing agent and see if he'll put in an offer for you - He'll generally receive a better commission (1%), and the buyer will save another 1.5% (that's 9 Gs for a 600k home) - obviously you should be a little more well versed or have a family/friend member that knows/is a realtor to give you a hang.

any other more crafty ideas?

Make offers on overpriced properties that have been sitting on the market for a while.

I did that on a house that was 30 days on the market, and got it for 6% under asking (which I think was probably close to real market value or possibly slightly low).
My sis did that on a condo that was months on the market, and got it for 9% under asking (which I think was probably a little under real market value).

I got mine in 2007, and my sis got hers in 2011, both in sellers' markets.

Agents may be the easy scapegoat but agents don't cause the bidding wars, demand does. It's neither unfair nor improper. Value is what you assign to it. People need to take responsibility for their decisions. What's important is that you have an agent that facilitates and informs those decisions, and doesn't push you into them without the info, tools and consideration you need.

Avoiding multiple bid situations is an ok strategy *if* you're willing and able to stick to your guns. What can happen is that people avoiding the bidding wars eventually crack after lookign for ages but never buying, and then go whole hog in a bidding war when they're tired, stressed and done with house hunting just to get the process over with. If you're abstaining from bidding wars you have to have the resolve to stick with it or else it's worthless (potentially more harmful then participating in them from the get go.)

Registering your bid as far in advance as possible makes you look composed and serious (as opposed to frantic, last-minute ones that make buyers look desperate.) If possible, get the earliest bid presentation time that you can. Also, making bids on holidays or long-weekends also helps. We bought ours on Good Friday, surprising the listing agent (agent: "who works on Good Friday?") and beating two bids that were submitted the next day.

Make offers on overpriced properties that have been sitting on the market for a while.

I did that on a house that was 30 days on the market, and got it for 6% under asking (which I think was probably close to real market value or possibly slightly low).
My sis did that on a condo that was months on the market, and got it for 9% under asking (which I think was probably a little under real market value).

I got mine in 2007, and my sis got hers in 2011, both in sellers' markets.

Agreed, this also worked for us (though our home was not up for 30 days.)

One thing that worked for us was researching info on the house - how old, when sold, what price, when improvements were done, etc. That may not sound like rocket science but I think in the heat of the moment people tend to look at local comparables and that's it.

Our research on the house and the selling agent helped us in our strategy.

Hint 1) Something like 6 sales in past six months (-agent not hurting for funds), and 4 of them went for slightly under asking (-indicating that she may be willing to vouch for an offer below asking.)
Hint 2) House sold only twice - 1950-something, then 1990-something (-so not a flipper/investment vehicle, a family home.)
Hint 3) Previous owners bought the house for almost half of it's current list price (-indicating that money was likely not the most pressing concern here, margins weren't thin)
Hint 4) 24 hours irrevocable in the listing. (family issues going on? divorce?) When pressed, listing agent admits one of the two owners is out of town (-family moving?)
Hint 5) Google search of current owners reveals quote from one owner welcoming him to a company out west (-family likely moving) and that the other had a reasonably paid, stably-employed union job (-decent money being made by both owners, not hurting for money) with one mid-teen kid (-not selling the house to pay for uni)
Hint 6) Despite owning house for 12 years, particularly after the previous owner had it for 40 years, any renos done were done in past 2 years *only( (-indicates spending money available, decent financial situation as of late, maybe they waiting til mortgage paid off to do work?)
Hint 7) Obviously obvious, but after only six days on the market the price drops by 20 thousand (-motivated)

Turned out that the owners were moving out west and needed to sell the house instantly in order to buy the one they wanted in the new locale, and that their mortgage was paid off and money wasn't the greatest concern since they were making almost double what they bought it for. This info allowed us to low ball twice and get the house a not aweosme but reasonable nine percent under asking.

It's difficult to do this type/amount of research for every house you tour, but a couple of searches (MPAC, MLS system, the city, google) can help you in your strategy. Worked for us.

Last edited:
Look for places that aren't staged or have horrible decor but good-great bones. Might be less competition.

I saw a house in a desire area that is marked as "as is".
I tried to get it, but I figured out there are 2 people in front of me already doing that.
It seems that it is not easy to get a as is house too..

"Refuse to engage in bidding wars" ... much easier said than done. In certain parts of the city, bidding wars virtually go without saying now.

Jeff 316 offers several good tips! Sounds like someone who has been there, done that!

The most important factor: do your homework, as Jeff alludes to. Don't get caught up in a frenzy, sitting outside some house at 9 pm., bidding a property higher and higher. What are you really willing to pay? --- may or may not be above the listing price. Once things go past your own bottom line price, make a graceful exit and move on. After all, as the successful bidder, you will have limited time to sprain your elbow, patting yourself on the back, before the first mortgage payment comes due, along with possible second thoughts.

Turned out that the owners were moving out west and needed to sell the house instantly in order to buy the one they wanted in the new locale, and that their mortgage was paid off and money wasn't the greatest concern since they were making almost double what they bought it for.

I wonder why they didn't just get a short-term secured borrowing account against this house to buy the one in the west. A quick chat with their banker may have saved them a few thousand dollars.

That said, I can understand wanting all loose ends to be tied up quickly.

Last edited:
Buy only multi-multi-million dollar homes in places like Forest Hill. Bidding wars are uncommon on those. ;)

Ask your realtor for a recent list of properties that just had a price change. These home owners show their motivation with a price change.

The psychology of bidding wars still astounds me.

Dilapidated home in riverdale listed for 599. After 10 days, no takers
relisted at 499 and goes to bid - sold for 637k!

it's something about wanting to 'win' that drives people to grossly overpay for properties!

it's something about wanting to 'win' that drives people to grossly overpay for properties!
Yes, my GF and I both sold our condos to bidding wars. Both of ours went for well over asking, but both were priced slightly low, by a few percent to generate interest. In the end, both went for significantly more than we were expecting, maybe by about 5% or so.

We set up the places for viewing for one week, and set a specific date for taking bids. We basically couldn't go home until very late each night for that entire week, because it was constantly being shown.

Units that get listed for significantly higher, or by non-aggressive, non-meticulous agents (bad pix, etc.) got less play. ie. Look for listing with crappy descriptions and crappy multimedia.

499 in Riverdale is bound to get attention. Is it possible that underpricing and bidding wars are so rampant that listing at 599 is interpreted as a 700+ sale price?

My wife and I have been trying to move for two years now. Any house we have put an offer on has gone WAY over asking. It is quite disheartening. Our agent is frustrated in general, she has many clients that have been trying to buy a house for a long time and there are just not enough for sale.

I don't think it's the 'win' mentally, but the 'exhausted' mentally that people spend tons of time searching only to find each offer they put in gets out-bidded. People are just tired and settling to pay more than what it is worth. This is also due to low selling stock.

I went through the selling and buying process over the summer. Everything went pretty smoothly, but still a long process considering cleaning and staging your home for sale, showing your property, negotiation, packing and moving to your new place. The whole process took 3-4 months even though i sold my house in less than a week after listing. It was long enough already, I can't imagine people that had some/more difficulty than me during this whole process.

Last edited:
Why should blame be given to anyone for a bidding war?

There are a lot of great suggestions in this thread. I especially like the one which stated to avoid looking at staged homes and homes which are obviously under priced.

There is nothing unfair about a home selling for higher than list price. The actual value for a home is what it was paid for. If someone paid $80k over asking then that is the price they felt the home is worth.

As a realtor who is listing a home our job is to protect our client and make them as much money as possible when selling their home.

The best and absolute advice we give our buyers when we begin to search for a home is to know your limitations and expectations. If you clearly define what your needs and wants are your emotions stand a less chance of getting the best of you. There is also more to work with than just price alone. Additionally, we had a listing where there were 3 offers on the table...one of which was under asking. So you always have a chance.

At the end of it all Toronto is a very large community and there is always going to be that perfect house. So don't place all your hopes on one listing and plan a head so you are always prepared. Being a realtor we can only provide advice to our clients, it is ultimately up to the client to make decisions.

Feel free to contact us directly via email: info@myblissfulhome.com
or visit online: www.myblissfulhome.com

Sincerely,
Gian-Piero Furfaro,
Sales Representative
Right At Home Realty Inc. Brokerage
Top Ten Club Award Winner 2010

Back