8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Cooool

Member Bio
Reaction score
I live in Mississauga (sometimes Hamilton) and it's kinda hard to make close friends. What sort of things do I need to do around the Toronto area that could result in more friends? I'm 20 years old, so I'd prefer to make friends with my age group.

The GTA is very hard to make friends if you don't go to school, from what I can tell. You can't just go up to someone and start talking to them. They will think you're weird, or have bad intentions.
I've had a very hard time making friends in this city. I am not working right now, and don't go to school.

I actually go to McMaster and I don't know what it is, but it seems like everyone already knows each other, leaving little oppurtunity to meet new people. Besides, I'm eventually going to graduate, so I find it important to meet friends in Mississauga or Toronto because that is my home.

Everyone you go to school with in Hamilton will end up living in Toronto. I guarantee it. No one stays in Hamilton.

Maybe look at campus groups and clubs? Go to a Trivia night or something.

Join something that you're interested in whether its ultimate frisbee, cooking or language class, basket weaving, church. Best way to make friends plus you know you have at least one thing in common and something to talk about. There are a lot of people in the GTA who are new to the city and would love to make friends.

Everyone you go to school with in Hamilton will end up living in Toronto. I guarantee it. No one stays in Hamilton.

Maybe look at campus groups and clubs? Go to a Trivia night or something.

It's really strange, a lot of people from Hamilton hate Toronto. They think it's dangerous and crowded. Mind you, these are the people who live on the mountain or in Ancaster and don't realize how awful Hamilton really is.

I ask this question because a lot of people make the move to Toronto from far places like Windsor or Hunstville and have to make friends from scratch and I imagine it would be impossible to become part of a new social circle.

Using social networking sites really helps .
Like a fan page of the local thing it can be a singer a place or any thing related to that city take part in there page , start messaging on fb to locals you can make many friends doing that , if you are lucky could get a date too :D

I do that a lot actually. Doesn't work so well.

*yawn* Yet another anti-immigrant / anti-multiculturalism post from Urbandreamer, what a surprise. I'm sure he'll be able make a lot of new WASP friends at Stormfront, if he's not already a member.

lol, if you knew my friends come from many backgrounds. Did you know I've never dated someone from my own background? Heck, it was only a month ago I finally met all my Anglo relatives, never knew they existed!

I probably know a much more diverse group of people, date those from other religions/ethnic groups etc than 90% of Torontonians!

Your mention of stormfront shows just how ignorant you are of Wasp culture--that's a more Germanic/Northern European hangout.

Last edited:
If you have a dog, take your time walking him/her and chat with people along the way, it's a great way to meet lots of people. Consider getting involved with a community group in your neighbourhood, go to your nearest community centre and look at the postings on the board - it can be political, a ratepayers/neighbourhood association, a tenant's association, community group, fitness group, or organize your own group and put up postings - like a community heritage building group! Smaller local pubs and coffee shops in your nabe are great ways to meet people in your area. A lot of other people sitting alone are probably there for the same thing or in some cases waiting for somebody, so just ask! In the spring, summer & fall just sit on a bench where there's a lot of pedestrian activity and just make eye contact and smile at people, don't be shy!
People in Toronto have a tougher exterior, but once you get inside they're as friendly as people anywhere else.

Isn't Urban Toronto exactly the kind of place you guys are telling people to make new friends?
Have you ever tried to make a friend off of this site? It's practically impossible. I've tried. People want to remain anonymous, or have no interest in taking their online world into their real world. :rolleyes:

Back