News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

mg100

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using MLS.ca to search houses in some specific areas in Toronto. However, the site is not very user friendly to customize and I am spending a lot of time setting up the search filter. I was wondering if I could get some tips on customizing the site for effective use.

1. Is it possible to save specific searches on the site? For example, two storey houses, with 3+ bedrooms, in the Guildwood area, with a price below $500K.

2. Is there a better website that gets data from the MLS website?

3. How do I setup searches for new houses coming on the market in a specific area, say Guildwood?

4. Is it possible to search a house with a criterion such as the distance from a subway station ?

Thank you.

The site's near useless on an iPad since there's no easy way to scroll across the maps.

Not to change the subject but yes, the Mobile Realtor.ca (MLS) site also sucks as it doesn't really allow you to narrow it down by neighborhoods, only by MLS# or city, then proceeds to display an unsearchable list of properties in that city. You can narrow it down...somewhat...by entering the exact street name and hope there's a property listed on that street. Not very user-friendly.

Last edited:
Isn't this supposed to change in March with the new system?
Not to change the subject but yes, the Mobile Realtor.ca (MLS) site also sucks as it doesn't really allow you to narrow it down by neighborhoods, only by MLS# or city, then proceeds to display an unsearchable list of properties in that city. You can narrow it down...somewhat...by entering the exact street name and hope there's a property listed on that street. Not very user-friendly.

The owners of MLS do not want to make it easy for just anyone to search properties because such transparency and functionality makes real estate agents less necessary. The functionality and tools available are limited on the public site.

Some might recommend you check guava.ca for more presentable information on active listings, but it is still pulled from MLS data.

MLS is great system with usefull info, but I can help you more by pulling only your specific wants and needs. I am one of the best Realtors in Toronto and GTA areas, I with number one Real Estate company.

Like my mentor Buffini says, im never too busy for your reforals (friend),..

If any home intrests you send me the listing number and I can pull all the infos on it, selling prices etc

The Canadian real estate monopoly needs to be broken up. MLS sucks.

Sites like Redfin.com and trulia.com in the US give reams of intelligently presented data and info. MLS.ca intentionally acts as a barrier, giving out just enough (time-delayed) info, but not too much, to maintain the monopoly.

I wouldn't call MLS a ''great system" - it has it's share of quirks and lacks total tranparency for non-realtors, just for openers. Then we'd need to train the ''professionals'' to input properly - the old adage ''garbage in, garbage out'' applies here very much so.

What I don't understand is why the ''professionals'' don't want clients to see all they want to see. This would cut out tons of trips and senseless meetings, when key items were not known beforehand.

To many clients, the surroundings are as important as the units/homes. Google Streetview does help, but why not post up-to-date views as a rule? There are lots of locations I will rule out, just based on this one criteria. I trust other also have similar preferences.

A main beef of mine; ''900 - 999'' sq ft or meters. Wake up! Get a plan and quote accurate in each ad. Yes I know, I can add up the dimensions, but so can your staff, and they do it only once. If I'm looking for 1,200 ft sq, I want to see how close the property I'm looking at comes to this, and this means +/- 2 to 3% max. deviation, or I'm not interested.

For condos - give me an up-to-date reserve Fund Study before I look at the unit! Don't waste my time by saying I will get it as part of the ''package'' once I make a deposit, and I can nix the deal if I'm not satisfied; if the fund is not really healthy, or I don't like what I see, I will not buy. Others should ask this question also up front!! And don't try to tell me it's not available. For our building you can on request, have the latest file in PDF as fast as you can open it, at any time.

Another major beef with respect to condo listings: don't tell me the unit has ''a heat pump''; define the HVAC system, there are a few around and some are better than others. Very important, tell me if it's owned or (latest trend) leased, and if so, is the lease transferable.
And as a last one: Come prepared and show me where all the rooftop equipment is located in relation to the unit you are suggesting, if it's close to the top. A chiller close by will also nix the deal or make the offer lower.

The MLS system is fine but there are limitations:
-"new" listings are posted but agents do get the inside track many days prior to the actual "public" access. With today's market it is a questionable practice period.
- please do your own research and actually visit the areas you wish to potentially purchase your house/condo from. There is only so much you can expect to be included with the listing and the Google Streetview is dated. There is only so much that one can spoon-feed to you so do your own homework.

Please remember that the Toronto MLS system is paid for by Toronto realtors. MLS.ca is a public aggregated service through Canadian Real Estate Association. Everything takes time even for Google. If we made an industry obsolete by offered everything for free and fully open then who will pay for it once the realtors are gone? The system must be regulated.

I definitely agree with driving (even walking) around your areas of interest on weekends or for testing work commutes. Pictures can only help so much. I would talk to neighbors and people walking in the neighborhood.

In terms of the square footage - this is a limitation of Stratus/MLS. They have narrowed it down a bit but keep in mind that builders quote from about 6 inches past drywall. Room measurements INCLUDE closet space. Finally, square footage can only help so much as floor plans vary and the use of space does as well. Meaning a 850 sqft condo could be less appealing than a 795 sq ft condo. You will find disclaimers on most offers that the BUYER MUST VERIFY ALL MEASUREMENTS. A practice used to avoid the abuse of litigation. Room measurements and square footage is meant to be used a guideline. If you need accuracy for the baby grand piano you own...measure the room yourself.

It is impossible to accurately depict every variable regarding a sale. Getting out to see the property is the best way.

It is impossible to accurately depict every variable regarding a sale. Getting out to see the property is the best way.

I absolutely agree. MLS listings are a very important starting point but until you actually see the property and view it from the inside, all you have are a select number of photographs from specific angles. Even with a multimedia slideshow, photo gallery and/or virtual tour, I've been completely surprised once I actually see the property in person. It's for this reason that some really nice-looking properties on MLS which may be listed for lower than another property in the same neighborhood don't sell while the higher-priced one does.

Back