News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I have never been one to view criticism as negativity, but we've been hearing this complaint time and time and time and again, for many years now, to no avail. Seems to me like it's a bit like beating a dead horse, and it does start to venture into the realm of negativity. Toronto is what it is, warts and all, and it seems to be just fine for most who live here.

I think the engineers get to operate in a context where they are allowed to determine the city structure to suit their technology - e,g,. big fire trucks and garbage trucks rather than having to find technologies that fit with a desireable city structure.

The obsession with safety and liability drives me crazy too.

There's a little parkette on old Kingston Rd. in Scarborough, across the street from Ted's diner. It's a nice little parkette with a cluster of decent sized spruce trees, a nice sign naming the park (I can't remember the name though) and a little gravel path running between the trees. But for me, this little break in the ugliness of that intersection is ruined by a metal sign, high up on cheap metal post, sticking out of the ground on a careless angle next to the path. The sign says "Warning. This path is not cleared of snow in winter". It drives me crazy.

Toronto is what it is, warts and all, and it seems to be just fine for most who live here.

But it's a city that has the potential to be more than "fine".

The sign says "Warning. This path is not cleared of snow in winter". It drives me crazy.

I've noticed many of such signs in Mississauga parks. It seems kinda silly to me too. I mean, why would they snow plow trails in the winter? But I guess it's just one of those things that we need to know...

^ Why do people need to be aware that the trail isn't plowed in the winter.... I just don't get it - if you were to come across an unplowed trail, so be it - why is the sign required?

^ Exactly. It is like putting up a sign that says "There is no railing here to prevent you from walking onto the street". People should be expected to open their eyes and fire off a few synapses rather than expecting the entire world to be baby proofed.

Maybe "not plowed" meaning "not normally plowed" or "not maintained", etc. i.e. a forewarning...

Of course, this is a general problem. So afeard have we become of lawyers and litigants that warnings are everywhere. And their intent seems to be to avoid culpability more than to truly warn.

Dumb Product Warnings

"And most want it to be more than just a 'fine' city."

Aside from UT and some other specialized intest groups this just doesn't seem to be the case...but so what? We've said it here before, Toronto is an infinately liveable place with an envied lifestyle and many other attributes. Why does this consistently get overshadowed by the fact that Toronto is not something it isn't?

Is the plethora of unnecessary street signs distinctive of Toronto? They crop up all over the place without any logic: you can be travelling along King East or somewhere and suddenly there's a sign pointing to Ontario Place, as if some signage bureaucrat somewhere has read a study that shows that people on that part of King are more likely to be looking for a way to get to Ontario Place than to the Ontario Legislature or somewhere else, and in the cause of peace, order and good government they need to be safely and surely directed there.

dangerengrish.jpg

grow-a-hand.jpg

toiletwash.jpg

biohazard.jpg

yomiuriland-gondola.jpg

I'll stop now.

Post on HtO:

Promising new park Lifts Waterfront Hopes
$10M HtO park Occupies Two Former Quays

Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post
Published: Wednesday, December 20, 2006

There is a wonderful park taking shape on the shore of Lake Ontario, a block east of the foot of Spadina Avenue.

Yes, the park, Ht O, has an insufferably precious name.

Yes, it is a year late and cost city taxpayers $10-million. Still, it looks like it will be a cool place to sunbathe, picnic, and even build sand castles.

The other day workers chased me out of Ht O for arriving bareheaded, so I returned yesterday with my hard hat and steel-toed boots, and Ian Somerville, whose company Somerville Construction has 25 workers on the site, gave me the nickle tour.

The two parks west of here, Spadina Quay Wetland and the Music Garden, are a bit distancing, forbidding, for all their beauty. By contrast, Ht0 is a park for philistines: trees, benches, boardwalk.

Ht O occupies two former quays, separated by the Peter Street Slip.

The western quay, which is smaller, contains mainly mounds with weeping willows and red maples, surrounded by paths, going down to a walkway at the shore.

The eastern quay, former site of Maple Leaf Mills, has plenty of trees, too; closer to shore is a beach, perhaps 10 metres wide and 200 metres long.

A backhoe yesterday added special sand, imported from Huntsville, which drains well and doesn't compact.

On one end is an outdoor shower, and in the sand workers are erecting 39 permanent aluminum umbrellas, painted yellow, on stainless-steel poles. The effect is jovial.

The seating meanwhile, consists of giant slabs of cement, whose surface slopes a bit. Will the skateboarders come? You better believe it.

South of the beach, the boards have arrived to build the boardwalk, made of Ipe, a Brazilian hardwood.

"It's a rainforest wood," says Mr. Somerville.

Then he reassures: "It's apparently theoretically harvested under the Forest Stewardship agreement, so it comes with all kinds of certificates."

The contractors began a year ago and had planned to finish by Christmas.

"It's going fine, there are challenges as with every construction project," says Mr. Somerville, declining to be more specific.

"We are going to open in the spring."

Mayor David Miller gets the credit for this park, however, he may have trouble enjoying it,

since it is in fact a perfect place to watch planes land at the Island Airport.

We as a city are good at whining about how nothing gets done on our waterfront, so I am pleased to report that this area is really coming to life.

Yes, streetcar service on Queen's Quay remains pitifully infrequent. Still, a Shoppers Drug Mart just opened across from Ht O.

Even more exciting, I stopped into Coffee Time at 10 Lower Spadina Ave. (corner of Queen's Quay) for lunch yesterday, not expecting much, and, for $10, had a feast!

Tony Zhang, the owner, serves five specials for $4.99.

I ate shepherd's pie but even more divine was the soup, a flavourful, steaming porcelain bowl with onions, tomatoes, celery, zucchini, turnips, carrots, peas and corn.

Mr. Zhang at first only knew how to cook Chinese, he said.

"I hired some Greek and Italian cooks. They left, and I learned," he explains.

Today's specials, he promises, will include stir-fried noodles, lasagna, pepper steak, liver and onions, and curried chicken.

Later, strolling on the strip, I met Doug Patterson, who retired to a condo here six years ago. He says governments are wasting millions on consultations about the waterfront, rather than just getting things done.

"The mindset today is pay a consultant for a recommendation," he says.

"Pay for five opinions and then pay someone else to decide which is best. Then you've spent all the money and have none left."

Judging by its Web site, this is indeed the preferred technique of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp.

The TWRC blew $1-million this summer for a ridiculous project to temporarily plant thousands of geraniums here to show what Queen's Quay could be like with fewer cars and a permanent bike path.

Then they pulled them all out again.

Another source here notes that, while we spend millions on cosmetics, the actual seawall at the water's edge, built in the 1920s, is crumbling.

"The southwesternly corner of the National Yacht Club collapsed during a big storm two weeks ago," the source reports.

That said, the new beach is great; I look forward to lounging there next summer.

Pkuitenbrouwer@nationalpost.com

© National Post 2006

AoD

Thats why the mayor is pissed. $10 M for a waterfront park to watch the Q's land. I was down there skating a few weekends ago and was surprised at how quiet the Q's are compared to those Dash7's flying out a few years ago.
This area badly needs some green space along the waters edge. Not sure of the beach though.

The de-funization of playgrounds and the overall liability craze is one factor, in my mind, for rising childhood obesity rates.

That's right. But thats not the only problem. I see disasterous consequences for the future that today's lawsuit culture could create: One is that it encourages people to be careless (to make east money), and two is that it encourages a disproportionate number of youth to get into law (Canada has way more lawyers than it needs), resulting in a lack of skilled workers in construction, repair work, etc. How many aging construction workers are set to retire soon with few younger workers ready to replace them? In the future, you'll have no problem finding a lawer to take on your ridiculous lawsuit, but will have a hard time getting you plumbing repaired or your house painted.

Back