News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Dropped by today to check out the Room - impressive. It's beautiful. Very clean and modern, and it was nice to see the windows once again revealed to let in natural light. Alklay is correct though - the renos certainly highlight the sad state of the remainder of the floor. Looking forward to continued changes. I've noticed they've renovated some smaller sections in other parts of the store. Hopefully just a sample of things to come :)

The Room is women's fashions only (though worth a walk-through). The West End Shop is the men's equivalent.

It would be nice if they did a Carlu number on the Arcadian Court and restored it to a semblance of the original. Failing that, ditch the faux columns and the preposterous entablature above them and reinvent the space as something thoroughly contemporary.

Aren't they planning to close the Arcadian Court?

Are they? You tell me.

Cruised through The Room last night: Burdifilek called - they want their 2005 remake of Holts back.

Not a soul in sight. Love Balenciaga, but nothing in my size.

I took my niece downtown yesterday, and I have to say The Bay was a pretty big disappointment. The 5th floor, with Christmas Street, Santa and the toy section was horrible. The Christmas Street section was tiny - about 25% of what it was last year. The toys have been moved to the other side, so the two have no connection whatsoever. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but the layout is terrible as far as driving sales is concerned. I thought stores usually go all out during recessions...I guess that doesn't apply to The Bay.

Aren't they planning to close the Arcadian Court?

I had my formal/prom there in '98 (as did LOTS of midtown Toronto high schools in the late 90s). Would miss it if it goes.

Unfortunately, the other 95% of floor space in the downtown store looks run down and outdated (frayed carpets from 1970, being held down to the floor with duct-tape...on the main floor!!).

I agree. Another example is the toy department, it is still stuck in the late 80's or early 90's when Paula Abdul was popular and neon coloured clothing were in vogue.

Last edited:
Give the Bay time. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's going to take time to turn the company around. And they will turn it around. They finally have someone at the helm that is a retailer, and has been hugely successful running department stores. I'm of course talking about Bonnie Brooks. The changes that have been made in mens wear alone are very good. Things will only get better.

I took my niece downtown yesterday, and I have to say The Bay was a pretty big disappointment. The 5th floor, with Christmas Street, Santa and the toy section was horrible. The Christmas Street section was tiny - about 25% of what it was last year. The toys have been moved to the other side, so the two have no connection whatsoever. I'm not sure what they were thinking, but the layout is terrible as far as driving sales is concerned. I thought stores usually go all out during recessions...I guess that doesn't apply to The Bay.

Retailers are carrying less inventory. Its a way to avoid the deep discounts they had to make last year. You'll even find that outlets have less turn over in merchandise as well.

Give the Bay time. Rome wasn't built in a day. It's going to take time to turn the company around. And they will turn it around. They finally have someone at the helm that is a retailer, and has been hugely successful running department stores. I'm of course talking about Bonnie Brooks. The changes that have been made in mens wear alone are very good. Things will only get better.

Rumour has it that they will be working on cosmetics and accessories next.

The furniture on the upper floor of the Queen store is also lackluster and expensive. The only people I could imagine buying furniture there are a handful of WASPs with limited interest in furniture and fond memories of the last piece of furniture they bought there.

Back