News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

HBC has been having some great sales as of late. They have one of the most comprehensive online stores I've seen from a Canadian based store.

HBC has been having some great sales as of late. They have one of the most comprehensive online stores I've seen from a Canadian based store.

It's the same as Lord & Taylor's website -

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor

If you go to the Lord & Taylor website - it's exactly the same format as HBC's website.

Saks Fifth Ave. has a slightly more advanced website with video runway shots of the clothing, rather than just stills.

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Entry.jsp

Last edited:
I believe Saks is taking up only three floors of the current HB closest to Yonge and Queen.

Four floors if you include the the Pusateri's-operated food hall in the basement. Level one will be cosmetics, jewellery, accessories, restaurant and valet parking (~33,260 sq ft), level 2 for menswear, level 3 for womenswear/personal shopping, all towards the Yonge St. side of the building.

Four floors if you include the the Pusateri's-operated food hall in the basement. Level one will be cosmetics, jewellery, accessories, restaurant and valet parking (~33,260 sq ft), level 2 for menswear, level 3 for womenswear/personal shopping, all towards the Yonge St. side of the building.

I wonder what will become of the O&B food operations. Maybe Bannock will move to Yonge and Bloor (which will be closer to me!!)?

Maybe a dumb question, but how are they going to physically divide Saks and HB? Are they going to erect a wall to divide the saks and HB space? Or will it be one open concept space?

Maybe a dumb question, but how are they going to physically divide Saks and HB? Are they going to erect a wall to divide the saks and HB space? Or will it be one open concept space?
I would love to see it divided, especially the PATH, so it can remain open even when the stores are closed.

I haven't really been following this but I'm not sure it makes sense having Saks at the Queen St. store as it's not a "high end" location. Wouldn't it make more sense to renovate the Yonge/Bloor store to become Saks to compete with Holt and other high end stores.

I'm looking at the proposed floor plan and it appears that there are several entrances between Hudson's Bay and Saks. There also appears to be walls between the stores, although it's not clear if they go all the way to the ceiling. It also appears that the store's central atrium may be cut into the basement for the new Saks food floor, creating a grand atrium for the new Saks space.

Valet parking and a 5,506 sq ft restaurant will face Richmond Street. Saks's Yonge Street frontage likely means Hudson's Bay will no longer use its 176 Yonge St. municipal address, but you never know.

A grand Queen Street entrance will welcome shoppers both into Hudson's Bay and Saks. It's a rather unusual configuration. I'm not sure if there's precedent for such a concept anywhere in the world - merging a luxury department store with something mid-market in such an open fashion.

I haven't really been following this but I'm not sure it makes sense having Saks at the Queen St. store as it's not a "high end" location. Wouldn't it make more sense to renovate the Yonge/Bloor store to become Saks to compete with Holt and other high end stores.

That was the original plan, until Cadillac Fairview offered HBC $650million to buy the Queen Street Bay and adjacent office tower, in return for putting Saks in the Queen Street Bay instead of at Yonge & Bloor.

It's a bit of a shame because the Queen Street Saks will be about 150,000 sq ft and the original Yonge & Bloor Saks would have spanned in excess of 300,000 sq ft, making it the second-largest Saks in the world and almost twice the size of Holt's up the street.

Last edited:

Back