News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Feds give Torontonians a small "green" income tax break for buying the TTC Metropass, so the City could give downtowners a small property tax kulcha kredit for buying subscriptions to the opera, ballet, symphony and theatres, and memberships at the AGO, ROM etc. to keep our economy chugging along ...

The spirit is totally different, but isn't it in effect the same thing as a tax-credit for the already well-heeled?

Why not just encourage the city to invest more directly into the arts? Why not set free admission to our biggest arts venues as your goal? Discounted / subsidized tickets, subscriptions, and memberships?

Well, plenty of well-heeled culture-vultures don't go to these places, and plenty of the less well-heeled do - it is a community of interests rather than a community of one income group.

Absolutely, our public museums and galleries should be free all the time and not just at certain times of the day as they are now. The ROM was free until 1960 when they introduced a 25 cent admission charge, I believe. These arts institutions own treasures that already belong to us, collectively.

For once Hume and I are on the same page. The suburbs have never made much sense to me, and hopefully this trend of urban living will continue to grow. It could lead to a much bigger urbanized Toronto, with more widespread transit systems, and an even livelier city life.

Not that I personally find Toronto dull, I love the city, but it'd be nice to have a more compacted Toronto and GTA. Cut down on the sprawl, and create a well-serviced thriving metropolis.

Re:

Well my parents are immigrants, and there are certain cultural aspects of immigrants that make them wanna stay in the suburbs. They never really had suburbs where they grew up, where they could afford 3000 square foot homes with backyards. Also, they tend to move to their culture-specific suburb, e.g. Indians with Brampton. They don't enjoy the challenge or positives that come out of living in culturally mixed urban setting.

I'm assuming a lot of people that say "The suburbs have never made much sense to me" as in the example of egotrippin above, they have probably lived in the suburban life-style at some point. I'm pretty sure if you're a person raised in an urban area all your lives, the space and other advantages of a suburb always tempts. I've done both, and I prefer living in the city. Can't stand suburbs for more than a few months.

After I moved away from Bramalea in 1974 I occasionally had bad dreams, for years afterwards, about having to return to that house in the 'H' block.

G is for the Ghetto section...

I used to live in the M section. Was a good place...

When my parents bought their house in the 'H' block in 1973 these places were brand new. There were fields, and a stream, and ( ugh! ) nature at the back of our garden.

One thing I don't understand and maybe someone can enlighten me.

Why is there a love of "green grass" in the suburbs, let's take Markham for example ... where I work (around Hi-way 7 and Warden). There are two issues:

1) Most buildings fronting Hi-way 7 (the main drag...) have parking lots in the front ... which in it self already ruins any chance of creating anything remotely walkable.

Ignoring the above.

2) Even when there is no parking log, why are buildings set back 10 - 50m off hi-way 7 with GREEN SPACE (nothing pretty ... just grass) and a path to walk to the building. It's not only Hi-Way 7 that's guilty of this, take the business park at Hi-way 7 and Leslie, where ATI is. Every one of these new buildings is just like that, set back from the streets....

It perplexes me, even Condos and the new office building built at Hi-way 7 and Warden!

After I moved away from Bramalea in 1974 I occasionally had bad dreams, for years afterwards, about having to return to that house in the 'H' block.

Any Bramptonian knows that they are called sections, not blocks, but in the H-section, perhaps calling it a block, like a cell block, is appropriate.

The H-section was world onto its own, and it's HORRIBLE reputation is known. The only section worse is proabably the K-Section these days.

Urban Shocker moves out and - 34 years later - there goes the neighbourhood.

I used to think of it as the 'H' Block because, in the mid '70s, that's what the notorious internment camp for supposed IRA terrorists was known as.

Back