News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

D

drum118

The long wait Hurontario St and QEW interchange changes are taking place this year.

Temporary construction traffic lights were installed in March with various construction stakes in the ground.

The new off/on ramps will require no bridge work according to Mississauga Commissioner of Transportation and Works.

Expect to see backups for this interchanges all this year.

If they're still going with the design that they gave to the ratepayers association then it's nothing all that great. They better keep traffic moving during construction otherwise the 19 is going to be seriously screwed up.

Highways 10 and QEW was Canada's first cloverleaf and one of this country's first grade-separated interchanges, if not the first as well.

The conversion to a parclo (the terminology for the common style of interchange that was developed in Ontario) will improve safety, but that cloverleaf wasn't that bad because of the separated on-off lanes.

Can't wait for the 401/Hurontario interchange to be reconfigured for 6 full lanes on Hurontario and collector/express on the 401. That will be even more fun with traffic tie-ups.

Was it, or QEW/(4)27, that came first? Also, I think Port Credit already got a fair bit of reconfiguration in the late 50s (albeit still as a fullclo rather than parclo)

The conversion to a parclo (the terminology for the common style of interchange that was developed in Ontario) will improve safety, but that cloverleaf wasn't that bad because of the separated on-off lanes.

Definitely not as bad as the former Erin Mills Pkwy interchange--yikes.

"Definitely not as bad as the former Erin Mills Pkwy interchange"

Which was the closest thing we had in this province to a large-scale roundabout which caused no end of accidents and confusion.

it wasn't a roundabout in the modern sense. it was an old-style traffic circle where cars entering the circle had the right of way.

What does a a parclo look like....is it the common one found on the 401? More ramp-like than leaf-like?

Parclo is short for "partial cloverleaf." There are two on-ramps onto the highway to each direction, and one off ramp in each direction. Nearly all interchanges on the 400 series highways in urban areas and most in rural areas, are of this design, some converted from full cloverleafs, like Highway 10/401 and Highway 25/401. The parclos eliminate the potentially dangerous short acceleration and weaving caused by rapid entry/exit from the looping ramps. I do not have fond memories of driving from Belleville, going west on 401 from northbound 62.

You don't have fond memories because you had to accelerate too fast?

It always struck me driving in Detroit how short their on ramps were. Not much more than a few lengths of a car. Coming back to canada and seeing the nearly kilometer long ramps on the 401 was striking.

Not that I had to accelerate too fast alone, but that drivers on the 401 were total asses. While the acceleration lanes are awful on the interstates I drove on in Michigan and New York, drivers are actually much better at moving over to let cars in.

One of the worst experiences I had driving was on the 400 Northbound. The left lane was closed, I had room, but nobody would let me in - traffic was heavy, but fast. I had to COME TO A COMPLETE STOP in the left lane at the pylons, and wait for a good enough break, then floored it.

The Gardiner Westbound ramp from Jamison is brutal for its length. You don't have much of a chance to merge, and with Toronto drivers unwilling to let you in often, there's not much you can do with a wall shortly in front of you.

Compared to most US highways I've been on, the 401 is an underpatrolled, disorderly and fetid mess in contrast to the calm, well-patrolled and maintained American interstates I've driven on. I've tried in vain for two years to get the MTO to clear away the landfill that has formed at the side of the 401 from Neilson to Morningside. The MTO is ****ing pathetic.

Construction has started around the QEW Hurontatio St interchange as of Aug 20. Not sure what taking place at this time as it the first time been in the area for the last few weeks.

Pinetree is to be close to traffic that connects to the south service road.

Access to the QEW west to be close for southbound and nightly closing between Huontario to Dixie for eastbound. Saw cars using the west ramp.

If you want to go west you will have to go east to Cwathra interchange when the interchange is close.

Need better notices for this interchange further north of the Queensway and Dundas.

Back