News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"Definitely not as bad as the former Erin Mills Pkwy interchange"

Which was the closest thing we had in this province to a large-scale roundabout which caused no end of accidents and confusion.

Oh, man, that thing was a vast, dayglow abortion. I used to have to take the bus through that thing every day for two years, and it constantly amazed me I wasn't seeing piles of skulls at the side of the road. Thank God they finally rebuilt it. I wonder what the final toll in lives and property was.

If you look at the Mississauga stretch of the QEW and the original interchanges there, I can't help wondering if they were simply experimenting to see what would work best. No two of them looked alike. I think they just weren't sure what would work best... how people were going to react, what the modus vivendi of superhighway life would be like... so they just tried everything. I'll be sorry to see the cloverleaf at Hurontario go, but parclos are a better design, and it's for the best in the long run.

Remember, though, that the Mississauga stretch of the QEW was rebuilt/improved in the 50s. Prior to that, the only true interchange in that stretch IIRC was Hurontario--and even that was made over as part of the QEW rebuilding, so its "1939" integrity's already gone. Aside from the Southdown traffic circle, everything else was at grade...

Compared to most US highways I've been on, the 401 is an underpatrolled, disorderly and fetid mess in contrast to the calm, well-patrolled and maintained American interstates I've driven on. I've tried in vain for two years to get the MTO to clear away the landfill that has formed at the side of the 401 from Neilson to Morningside. The MTO is ****ing pathetic.

Fiendish,

You've obviously never driven in Massachusetts. Otherwise, I totally agree.

Further down the QEW-widening thing, I notice that--y'know the "ER" lampposts over the Credit River? Well, it looks like the expanded Bronte Creek crossing's getting'em, too.

Oh, and at the other side of Bronte Creek, there's no more access to the service roads, and the overpass awaits removal...

I'm surprised they're making new Elizabeth Regina lamp-posts.

And yeah, this project has a looooong way to go.

Since they're planning LRT on Hurontario they should have just left the full cloverleaf. This will add two more stoplights that any LRT line will now have to stop at.

I'm surprised they're making new Elizabeth Regina lamp-posts.

And yeah, this project has a looooong way to go.

2012 and 2013 are the completion dates for the current bridge construction over Bronte Creek and Sixteen Mile Creek. Once this is done, the highway will be upgraded to 6 lanes (current) with an addition of HOV lanes. HOV is NOT coming to Mississauga, especially around the interchange which this thread is centered on.

Since they're planning LRT on Hurontario they should have just left the full cloverleaf. This will add two more stoplights that any LRT line will now have to stop at.

Left the cloverleaf? Erm, I don't think so. The fact that an LRT is being built has nothing to do with it. If they time it right, the LRT won't have to stop for either of them.

The eastbound off ramp is pave now and work has started on the on ramp for westbound. Didn't have time to take any pictures and has been on my do list for some time.

Further down the QEW-widening thing, I notice that--y'know the "ER" lampposts over the Credit River? Well, it looks like the expanded Bronte Creek crossing's getting'em, too.

Oh, and at the other side of Bronte Creek, there's no more access to the service roads, and the overpass awaits removal...

I noticed an awful lot of work going on there while I was passing through the other day, and I guessed that they'd be removing the access. Bridge too? I guess I've missed my chance to prowl the place and look it over. I gather there used to be a pretty full (if weird) interchange there once.

There's information on the interchange near the bottom of this page on Cameron Bevers's excellent King's Highway site.

Cameron Beavers' website is great, though I miss the history pages. He took them all offline in anticipation of selling publications of his work, if that ever happens. I'd be interested in what he has to publish, but in the meantime, the resource is gone.

Have you ever actually been at this part of Mississauga? It's probably one of the most pedestrian unfriendly interchanges in the GTA. The fact that pedestrians have to walk an extra 200m to go through the tunnel in order to get to the other side is probably the obvious blunder. It's not much easier for cyclists since the short merging lane onto Hurontario means cars getting over quicker than normal.

Back