News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

As tuscan mentioned, pretty much every condo constructed in Toronto includes a 2-pipe system with fan-coil units. These simply blow the air across a radiator that is either hot or cold. Upgrading to a 4-pipe system adds additional cost, but would benefit people around this time of year when south and west facing units want the AC, but north facing units still need heating.

Architects sometime exacerbate this problem with poor planning. I lived at the Camden Lofts for a long time, and could never understand why the south facing units were 40' wide x 20' deep, while the north facing ones the other way around. We were comfortable, while neighbours across the hall lived in a sauna!

As for heat pumps, they operate a bit differently in that they rely on a 2-pipe system with a stable temperature and then use a compressor to either draw the heat out or into your unit. During days like we've had recently, the heat injected into the system from south facing units, gets transferred to the north-facing units, requiring very little energy to operate. These are great, but I can't think of an example where they have been used in a condo in Toronto.

I was visiting my friend at Bloor Walk condos late this afternoon (behind Couture on Hayden Street) and asked him about his HVAC. He definitely has year-round heat and A/C so he must have 4-pipe systems - I asked him if he did but he had no idea of the difference between 2 or 4 pipes. I was quite sure he had year round A/C (I believe Radio City does too) but I wanted to ask him first before I posted here. ROCP 1 & 2 were built after Radio City & Bloor Walk and although Bloor Walk & Radio City are a great buildings with good sized apartments, I would have thought that ROCP was a higher end project and thus would have the higher end 4-pipe systems.

I'm surprised too. I would've thought most Toronto condos would be using a 4-pipe "reverse return" fan coil unit arrangement...or at least, that's what they ought to be using.

Back