News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was watching some Buffalo stations last night and it looks like all of them are going to switch this month as originally planned in order to avoid confusion. They had messages scrolling saying they are awaiting federal permission, but to be prepared for the switch this month.

Avoiding confusion isn't their real motivation. The stations want to save money by avoiding the need to broadcast in both digital and analog for four more months. Apparently, two out of five stations in the U.S. have asked the FCC to make the switch in Feb., despite the delay of the deadline to June. It remains unclear what the FCC will decide. There was speculation in the Wall Street Journal yesterday that the FCC would let some stations make the switch, but would ensure that some stations in every market remained in analog until June. To me, that approach sounds like the worst of both worlds, guaranteed to create even more confusion than any other option.

It's interesting how when the bill is annualized as you have done - it is a lot of money for what you get in the end. I noticed that old man Rogers was looking out for family at the end of the day - his daughter owns a 12mill pad in Rosedale.:)

Sorry, totally off topic.

Melinda bought that $11.126 million dollar mansion (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...l-mansion-sells-for-2m-over-asking-price.aspx) and plans to tear it down and build a new approx. 17,000 square foot house. The new house was approved at the C of A back in December. I wonder as Rogers TV and Internet subscribers, if we'll get a free tour when its built...

Thanks to the CRTC's neocon agenda, you're pretty much stuck with Rogers, Bell, or weak alternatives, like Teksaavy, who really just repackage Bell/Rogers bandwidth.

I get 5 fuzzy channels with my rabbit ears because I'm too close to the CN Tower.

You need better Rabbit Ears - I'm in one of the closest residential towers to the CN Tower and I have no issue. I get 13 channels with no cable, and that includes quite a few from Buffalo and area, and while it isnt crystal clear, I get many channels damn good. Granted, I am on the waterfront with nothing but the island, two parks and a fire/ems station in front of me. Besides, I'm sure there are dual analog/digital antennas out there.

I get 5 fuzzy channels with my rabbit ears because I'm too close to the CN Tower.

You're not 'too close', you have a crappy tuner.

I'm sure there are dual analog/digital antennas out there.

There's really no such thing as a digital or analog antenna....no colour antennas either.

^hmmmm...... not absolutely sure, there are antennaes that are optimized for certain frequencies, and HD frequencies are wider are they not. It does not mean the old antenna will not work - but may not work as well as the ones that were optimized for those frequencies and width.

You can be too close, the broadcast signal can overload - be too strong. It may also rebound off of buildings and you may get copies of it slightly out of phase which can cause big problems. Digital of course is better since you typically receive or not receive the channel (enough data or not enough data). If you receive it - it looks great, if not - well - black looks good too :p

Last edited:
^hmmmm...... not absolutely sure, there are antennaes that are optimized for certain frequencies, and HD frequencies are wider are they not.

Yes there are antennas optimised for various frequency bands, but that has nothing to do with the modulation method. The bandwidth (the word you're looking for) for an OTA HD broadcast is still 6MHz...same as NTSC.

It does not mean the old antenna will not work

Yes, it does. RF is still RF.

You can be too close, the broadcast signal can overload - be too strong.

Yes, but the only way to be too close is to be at the top of the tower....or have a crappy tuner.

It may also rebound off of buildings and you may get copies of it slightly out of phase which can cause big problems

Phillips developed GCR ( Ghost cancelling) over 20 years ago.

Digital of course is better since you typically receive or not receive the channel (enough data or not enough data). If you receive it - it looks great, if not - well - black looks good too

This get repeated by people who don't understand digital communications all the time. You're not quite right.

Back