8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
Many of you on this forum I've met in real life, and right now all I can say is that I'm exhausted.

What the heck am I talking about? Well I first came to Toronto in May 2002 on a tour of the city and since then have spent many weeks in the city (all of which add up to many months of time) in the years since.

Recently I submitted application for lateral transfer with the company I work for here in the US, and they rejected it. I had patiently waited half a year before the submission, and the locations I can transfer to in Canada have the exact same 100% identical job waiting. I'd be fully prepared and ready to go, but no dice.

I decided to do this little job specifically because they had locations in Canada, plus it builds good experience. I had been in staffing firms and offices in the GTA before just independently looking for work, yet everytime I get a "no" and that they'd be glad to hire me... Once I got the work permit pre-planned.

Catch 22: you cannot get a work permit and thus a SIN # unless an employer sponsors the application with an official HRSDC opinion paper. A standard work offer letter won't do. I know, I've had applications turned down before and at $150 a pop I'm tired of the non-sense.

I desperately want to live in Canada, not the US, and there's little I can do.

While in the long term I think it'll work out because there are some friends helping me, its still hard. After 6 years my passion is still alive as it was on my first visit.

Life can suck, native Canadians should be proud. You're lucky to be part of a society like Canada. :)

How the heck can so many non-native English or French speaking people without any education come en masse to the GTA yet I cannot? Is it because I'm actually trying to do it legally first?

Does anything make sense in life? Heh.

I don't understand why the system is structured that way. To me, it makes sense to accept newcomers as landed immigrants conditional on their getting a job rather than requiring the job prior to consideration.

That's too bad, Heckles... don't give up. People think it's a piece of cake to get into Canada... little do they know that it's quite difficult.

Many of you on this forum I've met in real life, and right now all I can say is that I'm exhausted.

What the heck am I talking about? Well I first came to Toronto in May 2002 on a tour of the city and since then have spent many weeks in the city (all of which add up to many months of time) in the years since.

Recently I submitted application for lateral transfer with the company I work for here in the US, and they rejected it. I had patiently waited half a year before the submission, and the locations I can transfer to in Canada have the exact same 100% identical job waiting. I'd be fully prepared and ready to go, but no dice.

I decided to do this little job specifically because they had locations in Canada, plus it builds good experience. I had been in staffing firms and offices in the GTA before just independently looking for work, yet everytime I get a "no" and that they'd be glad to hire me... Once I got the work permit pre-planned.

Catch 22: you cannot get a work permit and thus a SIN # unless an employer sponsors the application with an official HRSDC opinion paper. A standard work offer letter won't do. I know, I've had applications turned down before and at $150 a pop I'm tired of the non-sense.

I desperately want to live in Canada, not the US, and there's little I can do.

While in the long term I think it'll work out because there are some friends helping me, its still hard. After 6 years my passion is still alive as it was on my first visit.

Life can suck, native Canadians should be proud. You're lucky to be part of a society like Canada. :)

How the heck can so many non-native English or French speaking people without any education come en masse to the GTA yet I cannot? Is it because I'm actually trying to do it legally first?

Does anything make sense in life? Heh.

First off, it depends on the job description. Immigration will only put you on the "elected worker stream" points program if you work at certain jobs. Also, the employer must also meet a certain criteria (which your employer probably does not or your job does not warrant your program). Otherwise you need to go through the standard "skilled worker" stream. You talk about moving around a lot, you must also consider if you are applying through federal or provincial. If provincial, your "moving around" is not a good thing.

I suggest you go talk with an Immigration consultant or lawyer. They will ask the right questions and figure out where you will go. Having a permanent job offer is important and can get you on the fast track but it is useless unless you go into the correct immigration stream with the correct intentions.

If you want to ask me directly go ahead. I won't advertise here who I would send you to as that would not be polite board ettiqutte.

BTW I am a learning to be a consultant and not one yet so while the info I gave you is correct it is incomplete hence why i would contact a CERTIFIED consultant or lawyer (by CSIC).

That's too bad, Heckles... don't give up. People think it's a piece of cake to get into Canada... little do they know that it's quite difficult.

Me? Give up? LOL NEVER! :)

rpgr, its really not as simple as you think. You can't just go to a lawyer, get advice, and get in. Its a complicated process. Employers must be willing to wait through a process, and employers not willing to sponsor you or work with you will cause a roadblock, lawyer or no lawyer.

heckles,

It's been quite the opposite experience actually for me lately - as I'm doing the exact opposite and moving to the US.

Although the application for a work/live visa (L1) was prepared by our lawyer, the review process was completed by a border agent and issued on the spot at the Buffalo border.

Today I just got back from the Social Security Office in Buffalo to apply for a new social security number - which I am due to receive in 2 weeks time.

Overall, I'm surprised how easy and efficient the entire process has been. I wish you luck!

heckles,

It's been quite the opposite experience actually for me lately - as I'm doing the exact opposite and moving to the US.

Although the application for a work/live visa (L1) was prepared by our lawyer, the review process was completed by a border agent and issued on the spot at the Buffalo border.

Today I just got back from the Social Security Office in Buffalo to apply for a new social security number - which I am due to receive in 2 weeks time.

Overall, I'm surprised how easy and efficient the entire process has been. I wish you luck!

Did you have an employer sponsor your application?

The immigration system seems to be a mess, and has been so for many years. It seems to defy all efforts at real reforms.

Responding to your question of how so many apparently unskilled people come in, I have the impression that many of these are in the so-called "family class" and have been sponsored by family members who are already here.

Best wishes!

The immigration system seems to be a mess, and has been so for many years. It seems to defy all efforts at real reforms.

Responding to your question of how so many apparently unskilled people come in, I have the impression that many of these are in the so-called "family class" and have been sponsored by family members who are already here.

Best wishes!

Well I don't want to seem insensitive to the fact that there are people who want to come to Canada, but I just think that its silly that its not more equitable.

And who is MOT?

Indeed - as an executive of the company. This visa will also allow priority placement for a greencard when I apply in a few years.

I don't have an official employer sponsor as of yet, and hence why I can't get in.

Back