News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

i mean those with bad records, since they pose a higher risk. I have a clean record of 10 years and my renewal rate went up 35%!

needless to say i am shopping around for a new policy. My irritation is why should i subsidize a bad driver just so insurance companies can be profitable.

What are you paying monthly?

needless to say i am shopping around for a new policy. My irritation is why should i subsidize a bad driver just so insurance companies can be profitable.

Everyone puts money into the pot, the bad drivers take more out, but they put more in. Even if your record is squeeky clean, you could get hurt as a passenger in another car and your insurance policy might have to respond with a 6 figure claim. In Ontario you always claim from your company, not the person responsible... Everyone covered under any policy is always a potential huge-payout even if you're a perfect driver. Should someone who accidentally rear-ended someone on ice have to pay 10x what you pay for their one mistake? The truly bad drivers are taken out of the equation and put into the facility market, which is expensive and run without profit - as insurance is a right, not a privilege when you have a valid license in Ontario. So the truly awful drivers aren't being subsidized by you.

i was paying 156 monthly for 2007 mazda 3 sedan. My renewal is 215! Ontario offer to regulate the system so that people dont milk it for claims.

the payout for injuries and other medical expenses and lawyer fees are ludicrous and need to be capped!

Why would medical bills be the cause of high rates of insurance in Canada?? Makes little sense considering the national health insurance system.

Why would medical bills be the cause of high rates of insurance in Canada?? Makes little sense considering the national health insurance system.

Rehab costs are footed by the insurance company, as are medication expenses, surgeries deemed elective (plastic surgery due to disfigurement) and even income replacement (to a degree, depending on the person's employment coverage). It all adds up to a pretty penny.

To answer your question more clearly, our health system is universal, but not comprehensive. It doesn't cover a wide variety of procedures, often because they aren't 'medically necessary' but just as often as a cost control.

I know those in Quebec who pay alittle bit more per year than what i pay per month here in Ontario.

I'm in Quebec for the summer and I can tell you my fiance's parents pay a little over $200 a year for 2 vehicles.

I'm in Quebec for the summer and I can tell you my fiance's parents pay a little over $200 a year for 2 vehicles.

For $50,000 in liability and no other coverage or benefits.
Truly a pathetic policy and should be illegal, straight out of the US even though it's actually covered by the gov't.

For $50,000 in liability and no other coverage or benefits.
Truly a pathetic policy and should be illegal, straight out of the US even though it's actually covered by the gov't.

While I cannot argue the amount of liability they have, which I assume is $50,000 (the amount required by law) a cursory search reveals at least one insurance provider which gives $1,000,000 coverage as a standard.

https://www.belairdirect.com/english/quebec/auto/standard_coverage.htm

I'm sure if you were to inquire the cost for additional liability coverage would not increase your policy from $200 per year to the $2000 I've been quoted in Toronto.

My own parents pay over $100 per month for their 2 vehicles.

edit: found out their policy is for $1,000,000 liability

Last edited:
I'm sure if you were to inquire the cost for additional liability coverage would not increase your policy from $200 per year to the $2000 I've been quoted in Toronto.

My own parents pay over $100 per month for their 2 vehicles.

edit: found out their policy is for $1,000,000 liability

Even if that were true (which it might), I'll still stand by what I said when I said it's a pathetic policy. The difference between $500,000 and $1,000,000 liability on an Ontario policy is usually around $40. The fact that they don't have any of the accident benefit coverage that comes standard on an Ontario policy is what I find pathetic and reflective of a policy from the stone ages.

Even if that were true (which it might), I'll still stand by what I said when I said it's a pathetic policy. The difference between $500,000 and $1,000,000 liability on an Ontario policy is usually around $40. The fact that they don't have any of the accident benefit coverage that comes standard on an Ontario policy is what I find pathetic and reflective of a policy from the stone ages.

All accident benefit coverage in Quebec is provided by the government.

http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/faq/accident_victim.php

Back