News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

BTW, whether you want to address them or not the divisions are still there. Pretending they don't is either hopelessly naive or ignorant. Your choice.
Sowing division into topics that are not fully divisive to begin with leads to wider clashes and fruitless debate. No need to look too far as to how that is going with our neighbours to the south and violent clashes in the streets. Historically, finding solutions and common ground was important in politics. Recently, that seems to have dissipated. I'm not naive or ignorant to the topic, but rather, want people to be able to have rational discussions, work together and find common ground. I have plenty of friends on both sides of the political spectrum and I am able to maintain healthy relationships with them. My point is relevant to both real life and online forums - that is the point.

Logical fallacies are a huge part of the issue when it comes to divisiveness: https://thebestschools.org/magazine/15-logical-fallacies-know/

Just finished listening to a presentation about Banff National Park aiming to be net-zero by 2035. Some proposals include a rail line from Calgary International Airport to Banff and aerial transit from Banff to Mt. Norquay. Would Edmontonians drive to YYC to take a train to Banff and not have their car? To me, I would still want my car in the Park to get to all the hiking destinations.

Just finished listening to a presentation about Banff National Park aiming to be net-zero by 2035. Some proposals include a rail line from Calgary International Airport to Banff and aerial transit from Banff to Mt. Norquay. Would Edmontonians drive to YYC to take a train to Banff and not have their car? To me, I would still want my car in the Park to get to all the hiking destinations.

Turns out Parks Canada did not approve the aerial transit proposal to Mt. Norquay last year.

The facinating thing about this new bus line is one of the Edmonton stops is Southgate LRT and Calgary has Whitehorn LRT.
And a stones throw from Calgary Airport. Calgary also has a downtown stop. Edmonton does not. Instead the Edmonton Canada Bus drives through downtown on 109th Street from Kingsway LRT Bus Station but does not stop downtown. One might wonder why not stop at the Federal Building bus stop - since they are "in the hood" and there is an LRT connection at Government Centre. All those Government employees could take the bus to Calgary instead of filling airplanes or getting mileage. But then Red Arrow is serving downtown with 2 trips a day to YYC for $84 one way and the Canada Bus is $39.00. Red Arrow is moving its Southside location from the Southgate LRT Bus Station stop to the Ramada Hotel as of 23 August ... as Canada Bus is taking over the same bus stop 2217 at Southgate. I am guessing Red Arrow which is Alberta Bus (operating name) is somehow also Canada Bus or an affiliate both Calgary based.

New Edmonton South Stop (Red Arrow) https://www.redarrow.ca/news_detail/new-edmonton-south-stop

Effective August 23, 2021, we're replacing our Southgate LRT Station with the southside Ramada Hotel location.

Where would a new commuter/inter city train station be placed in Edmonton? I assume the current VIA station wouldn't be the best particularly for trains from the south. Would the CP right of way work for a station to meet up with the new Gondola in Strathcona or would they take a train to a station new the Leg grounds crossing over a new shared use high level bridge?

I've always wanted the VIA terminal to relocate to the Yellowhead at 127 St but I don't think this is budging from its current location in the middle of nowhere despite the Blatchford redevelopment and Yellowhead freeway conversion projects. Yet another missed opportunity if you ask me.

A new CP terminal south of Whyte Ave would be perfect!

Back