News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Is the inclusion of gender and racial equity in transit planning appropriate?

• Total voters
How could someone oppose exploring whether we could increase the efficiency and accessibility of our transit systems by considering gender and racial issues?

Is this the same type of bitterness that makes people angry when garbage pick-up workers get union benefits?

Any sensible person most likely has men/women in their life who have different needs to themselves and whose concerns should be looked after. If a route is attracting overwhelmingly racial minorities, men, or whatever, it is absolutely logical to look at which factors may be deterring other citizens from using this public service that is being provided to them.

Needless to say, the needs of white males should also be considered and met. This is something that institutions like UTM and UTSC do a pretty awful job at. The key is more consideration and thoughtfulness, not less.

Does that mean we are doomed to endure the inane debates here? Can't we simple note that we've learned it and move on?

Absolutely. I just wanted to make note of it since it was relevant to the discussion. I certainly wasn't intending to change the topic of this thread to something that is no longer an issue.

That said, I wouldn't view such things through the troubled lenses of racial or gender equality, but more through the commonsense idea that the transit system should be designed to serve all of its customers in the best manner possible.

I'm pretty sure the goal is to serve all, not to stop serving the Rosedale stop to put a subway at Jane and Finch or some other idea along those lines. The point of bringing race and gender equality into the discussion is to ensure equal representation when "the benefit for all" is discussed. People can't deliver a service designed for all people without an equal understanding of all people. Unfortunately equality has become equated with reverse discrimination which really isn't the point. Equality is really meant to be equal opportunity for equal circumstances relevant to the opportunity, not equal opportunity considering factors irrelevant to the opportunity. Race has nothing to do with transit by itself and gender has nothing to do with transit by itself but may be indirectly tied to transit needs or indirectly tied to obstacles to greater transit use due to historical, physiological, or societal circumstance. No service should be delivered to a gender or a race, every service should be delivered to all people because everyone can find themselves in any circumstance. The whole point is to ensure everyone has a voice at the table. Ridership (projected or actual) should determine the number of seats on a route and scheduling, but listening to what the obstacles to use are and how the way the service is set up is working or not working in certain populations is valuable.

Back