News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hate to say it but it's pretty much the only interesting building in Islington Village. Yes, it's a very walkable, urban retail stretch of the kind that are very rare in Etobicoke, but aside from the old town hall (now a Fox and Fiddle), and maybe 2 or 3 old houses, none of the other buildings have any historical or architectural significance. Most of them look like bland, 2-storey buildings from the 50's, with the only thing preventing the area from looking like all the other terrible strip malls in Etobicoke being that there's no parking fronting the street (although there are actually some like that on the north side). Some people fawn over Islington Village and I've never really understood why because it's underwhelming if you actually go there. The stores aren't anything special either. It's got nothing on Main Street in Unionville, that's for sure. I'd love to see pre-WWII pictures of the area to see if there used to be a nicer stock of buildings.

At least there's Montgomery's Inn nearby, that United Church and the old cemetery. One can sense some historic significance to the area. Ultimately, it isn't that remarkable as a retail strip. Perhaps its appeal lies in the fact that these pockets of urbanity aren't common in Etobicoke as you mentioned.

Interestingly there's a lot of high rises south of this "village", but it's mostly suburban with the slab towers and the fenced PoMo towers from the late 1980s.

Some of the retail buildings may be bland, but most of them face directly on the sidewalk as opposed to the Scarborough-style strip plazas with parking in front. Short term parking is available right on Dundas. It creates more of a "village" feel. Three or four wall murals add some appeal as well.

Three or four wall murals add some appeal as well.

...though from an Urban Shocker viewpoint, "add" = "detract".

Still, I agree: at this point, it's less about the physical actuality, than about the ambience. And I don't mind 50s/60s strip rows, though they form a less cohesive impression here than in Port Credit E of Hurontario, or Kerr St in Oakville...

Hume and Goddard discuss the murals in Islington Village

Nostalgia dulls art's potential

Islington's murals miss the chance to breathe new life into old village's generic streetscape
Jun 06, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume
Peter Goddard

To celebrate its heritage, the old village of Islington is holding a street festival on Saturday to highlight four new historical murals. They add to the eight wall-size images of the village's past already in place along Dundas St. W. between Kipling and Islington Aves.

Tucked away in midtown Etobicoke, the mural project began as a community-building initiative designed to link Islington's contemporary, multicultural residents with the area's roots.

The Star sent Christopher Hume, its architectural urban issues columnist, and art critic Peter Goddard on a tour of the new/old village to assess the quality of the existing murals, and to determine how well they fit with the neighbourhood's current multicultural community.

Hume and Goddard drove around Islington, stopping to survey one mural after another. Both were mindful that, only 80 years ago, shoppers weary of Toronto's bustling downtown stepped off the old Guelph Radial Line into the tree-lined tranquility of Islington's leafy streets, lined by houses with welcoming verandas, and overlooking meadows filled with apple trees.

Peter Goddard (behind the wheel, turning west along Dundas St. W.): You know, I can admire Islington's passion for reminding itself – and all of its new residents from all over the planet – of its past.

But don't you think it's a bit sad – and hugely ironic – to see a scene of Islington at the turn of the century, with people out for a quiet stroll as a team of horses pass them by, next door to a shoddy mall and a tacky convenience store?

Christopher Hume: I agree entirely. There's something sad, even poignant, about this whole program. The murals could depict anything; they could be abstract for that matter. It's not the form; it's the content, and the terrible feeling you get when you see these images of a history so dead and buried that there's virtually no trace of it left.

Yet in their own unexpected way, they address the hollowness that lies at the heart of contemporary life.

They illustrate the emptiness we feel living in communities like Islington which are generic and anonymous, not to mention hideous.

PG: Yet, the artwork itself – by the Toronto painter, John Kuna – has its merits.

CH: It's much better than I expected. A few communities have tried doing murals, but they're not usually so well executed.

PG: According to Kuna – I talked to him recently – he was given some guidelines by the Islington Business Improvement Area, but otherwise it was up to him to choose the imagery and how it was presented. We've got nostalgia for nostalgia.

CH: There's one mural where Kuna has painted a stretch of Dundas St. W. as it looks today.

I thought it was interesting because it almost seems as if the artist wanted to see for himself what a painted image of contemporary Islington would look like.

There's no nostalgia; maybe it's more about trying to discover whether there's any possibility future generations will look back at today with the same kind of longing we feel for the 19th and early 20th centuries.

PG (turning into a side street, to turn around): Maybe. That Somali woman we just passed by, the one who went into the convenience store, she went right by the mural of the old main street without even noticing it. I wonder if the Islington BIA would have done more for the community if they had scenes relevant to people who live here now?

John Kuna made a big point of the importance of murals to communities. He'd been to places like San Francisco where they have mural alleys where the images change every number of months.

It's a big tourist attraction. That's part of the thinking behind the Islington murals too: attract people from the inner city.

In that sense Islington wants to portray itself as still being a village next to the big city.

CH: Except that Islington isn't still a village next to the big city. It has been absorbed into the big city. It is the big city, or at least a part of it.

To be blunt, Islington is little more than a name and a memory.

I think it would be more constructive and engaging to do a mural project based on the potential of the form, not on some idea of the way we used to be, no matter how appealing.

PG (now heading back east along Dundas St. W): You're right. Art on a wall doesn't have to be about a wall. There are all sorts of wall-projections during Nuit Blanche and Contact where walls are alive with imagery that's over-the-top abstract. They feel more citified than any city image.

CH: I can see it now, Les Nuits d'Islington, an international festival of projection art. For a couple of nights every year, all eyes are focused on Islington to see what's new in this contemporary art form. Even that Somali woman we saw walk by with supreme indifference would stop and pay attention. If nothing else, she'd want to know why a crowd had gathered. By the time she figured out the people were there to see a neighbourhood that had been transformed into an enormous outdoor art gallery, she might be paying attention.

I can see the point about nostalgia being lost on a now multicultural area (it would likely be more appreciated up near the still WASPish Kingsway) but seeing how little Toronto celebrates its history these days it's nice to see some effort made at preserving the past. The murals are well done and not tacky or over the top. Islington is not much of a traditional "village" when compared with other redone streets/locales in Ontario but considering this is a minor section of Toronto I'd say it's something of an achievement. The place still has some potential unlike many other parts of the city already lost to sprawl, dull conformity or modernity.

There's not a lot of space to work with but if the inconsistent strip malls near the west end of Islington-Dundas were razed and brought in line with the east end of the street things would be looking up. As it stands, I think there's an effort to make something of the area but it will require more time and money to make things better and give the area real character.

I think it's even patronizing to think in terms of "multiculturalism" standing in the way of historical curiosity and sensitivity. Ideally, we all have that draw to the genius loci, no matter where or which culture we come from...

I think it's even patronizing to think in terms of "multiculturalism" standing in the way of historical curiosity and sensitivity. Ideally, we all have that draw to the genius loci, no matter where or which culture we come from...

Adma:
"patronizing" is the word that comes to my mind as well. These pompous eggheads go for a drive-by and profess to know the neighbourhood by observing a disinterested Somali woman. Well, sometimes, even Somali women have more pressing things to do than to stop and look at the art. I live here and see kinds of people enjoying the murals ("ethnic" and "non-ethnic" alike). And by the way, there are many historic building in the neighbourhood, although you'd think from the article that there are only shabby strip plazas. My problem with the murals is that they may delay what is really needed and that is the wholesale redevelopmnet of the north side, between Cabot and Kipling.

Adma:
"patronizing" is the word that comes to my mind as well. These pompous eggheads go for a drive-by and profess to know the neighbourhood by observing a disinterested Somali woman. Well, sometimes, even Somali women have more pressing things to do than to stop and look at the art.

As do WASPy people, for that matter. But I guess when it's Somalis or whatever, it jumps out as being "non-native ignorance"...

Six Points (Etobicoke)

After finally returning to Toronto to live for the first time in 30 years and returning to an area (Islington Village) not far from where I grew up I'm trying to get a sense of the Bloor West side of town--or west side in general. Yes, I'm actually interested in Etobicoke.

Not including numerous day trips over the years the only memories I have are of Apache Burgers and The Book Mark, which is sad refection of how little the city impacted on a kid back in the 70s--and Cloverdale Mall, but that place looks nothing like it used to and they no longer serve the daily double. But there was no chance of ever forgetting going downtown to see Star Wars in a movie theatre.

Apart from the nostalgia factor, this is a query for any hidden gems of unique character (i.e., not Starbucks or Chapters) of any type that might still be around on or near this rather long stretch of Bloor Street.

Well, you do have the Honeydale Mall, which is officially a 'dead' mall. I think there is an application to have it demolished for -surprise- condos. And, the Dundas Street Grill is still in business, and packing them in, I can assure you! Other than that, the Bloor-Dundas West section of Etobicoke is rather bland. Was always rather commercial, and ugly.

I think going back 30 years, the Dundas Street Grill was one of those immortal Fuller's locations...

I think going back 30 years, the Dundas Street Grill was one of those immortal Fuller's locations...

That somehow seems familiar...I remember G&B burgers across the street more or less, though I don't know how far back they went.

Last edited:
The first and last time I was in that Fuller's my mother returned a salad for having brown lettuce in it. Happier memories were had at Miller's on the other side of the Six Points, which has no changed from being Miller's Country Fare to Miller's Bistro. Anyone been to the new incarnation? Probably not, as there are a number of actually good restaurants in the area now, like Anatolia, quite a good Turkish restaurant a little further east on Dundas, or down along Bloor around Royal York there's Cru, ViBo, Green Mango, Casa Barcelona, Chutney, and Kingsway Fish and Chips which has been there forever.

The Transportation Services and City Planning have completed the Six Points Interchange Reconfiguration Class Environmental Assessment (EA) Study back in January of 2008.
So the Six Points area will be undergoing a big change from the current auto oriented setup to a more pedestrian setup.
Along with a new entrance to the Kipling Subway station.
This map is the preferred option, but could still change.

LG-2006-06-20-001.jpg

Last edited:

Back