News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I'd probably start off by demolishing the Gardiner, Building the DRL, and then finish by unleashing aliens on the city.

monster.png

For Full Effect, Click to Play MIDI

Last edited:
Jeepers, I'm glad none of you are mayor. All I'm reading is list after list of tax increases and spending increases. Besides, before any of you spend your new windfalls on grandiose transportation schemes I'd recommend first fixing our infrastructure, sewers, water mains, etc.

taxestaxestaxestaxes

How do you expect to fix our infrastructure without new revenue? Reducing waste is chump change that won't cover the cost of such projects.

By the way, I'd like to see you put forward a list of your ways to fix the city.

Last edited:
GraphicMatt said:
Why would anyone seriously consider getting rid of the Land Transfer Tax? Are you a real estate agent or a speculator?

The only tweaks I'd make to the LTT would be to increase the value exemption for first-time buyers to $450,000 and to develop a formula to see that exemption automatically rise—and fall, I guess—with the market.

The LTT just seems like a great offset to property taxes to me. Can't understand why anyone would want to get rid of it.

My biggest problem with these two fees is that no other municipality in the province has the ability to create similar taxes. At most, these taxes should have been used as band-aid solutions to help reduce the amount of each annual property tax increase, and reduced each year until they are no more. The reason why I put in my bag tax proposal is because most businesses beyond Toronto are now charging, and while it may not be worth collecting at 5 cents, at 25 it would be.

Change the strategy behind the vehicle registration fee. Larger vehicles like hummers and SUV's will pay more, upwards of $100. Smaller vehicles like smart cars or hybrids will pay upwards of $30.

This I could support, assuming the larger vehicle isn't required for work related purposes. It is one thing for someone to drive a pickup truck to his construction job, another for someone to drive the same vehicle to his job in the financial district. I would also have it so that the for the amount paid, you would receive a Presto card (assuming the TTC is on board 100%) of the same value. You could also have it setup so that the credit could also be added to your current card.

This I could support, assuming the larger vehicle isn't required for work related purposes. It is one thing for someone to drive a pickup truck to his construction job, another for someone to drive the same vehicle to his job in the financial district.
If one needs a larger vehicle for work-related purposes, then he's tax-deducting such expenses.

Most employers who have vehicle expenses, are bleeding from the delays caused by congestion. They'd happily pay a bit more, if it makes journeys go faster. $50 a year is nothing compared to the $50/hour you employee stuck in the car isn't billing while he is in traffic.

I would also add cameras to streetcars and send out tickets to vehicles which don't stop while they load/unload passengers, and to buses to ticket vehicles which do not yield to them when trying to merge.

Good one. Random, discrete, high definition cameras installed around the city to nail people on cell phones, not wearing seat belts and such would generate a lot of cash too.

Good one. Random, discrete, high definition cameras installed around the city to nail people on cell phones, not wearing seat belts and such would generate a lot of cash too.

That might be a little Orwellian for my tastes. But the driving behaviours I've suggested targeting are selfish, dangerous, and occur far too often.

Look how they caught so many of the looters and hooligans in London, cameras friggen' everywhere. Orwellian, sure. Violation of privacy rights, many would say yes until the riots happened. Efficient, definitely.

London is in a whole other universe when it comes to CCTV. It's got to be the world's most surveilled city by far. That anyone thinks they can get away with a visible crime in that context astonishes me.

Back