News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Re: I've seen the future � as T.O. goes broke

maxy:

Potentially workable, but separating the head and efficiency tax could prove VERY difficult. Not to mention politically speaking, a no-brainer because you'd end up alienating the suburban electorate. From the perspective of the government, it's probably far easier to use legislative/planning authority to dictate the form of growth and mandate efficiency standards.

It's ironic, but the so called conservative suburban electorate are often times the least willing to accept the economic costs of sprawl.

AoD

So there are some savings associated with building at higher densities -- but there are also costs. The price of land goes up (not a true consumption, but a transfer of wealth from buyers to landowners), and the price of construction per square foot goes up.

Costs of homes in the suburbs are climbing just as quickly if not more. I think growth in home prices are higher than growth in condo prices so really that is one more expense of low density. A friend of mine bought a home near Winston Churchill and 401 and after six years sold it for 40% more.

Instead of government's ham-fisted attempts to make people live a certain way, let's make people pay their own way and live how they like. My proposal is that taxes are calculated on two components

I agree that such a system would be more fair but I doubt we will see it until the condo and apartment dwellers exceed the home dwellers in the city. In the old city of Toronto living to see such a scenario might have been possible but over the whole megacity that seems unlikely. Home owners hold the political power in the city. I think apartment building owners pay higher property tax rates than home and condo owners which makes no sense at all since apartment unit renters are probably the least wealthy.

Costs of homes in the suburbs are climbing just as quickly if not more. I think growth in home prices are higher than growth in condo prices so really that is one more expense of low density.

Enviro,

Since the greenbelt came into effect it is creating severe land shortages in many suburban growth municipalities causing land prices to skyrocket.

The price of a new home in the GTA has been escalating in teh 10% - 15% range the past two years, while new condos have been going up in the 5% range.

This explains the shift in the new housing starts and sales from singles to multiples as people are having difficulty affording single detached housing and have to persue other housing options.

Then the Province would need to deal with the money. You know, uploading.
:rollin

Bail out and then take a shit on McGuinty. I love it.

Back