News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, term limits! Great idea. Politicians should be discouraged from thinking about the long-term as much as possible. That's the problem with politicians these days. They don't think in the short term enough. They look too far ahead.

Your point about Toronto residents voting in municipal elections, only residents who are citizens should vote. If after 3 years, one does not apply for citizenship, then they are only here temporarily.

For some people, gaining Canadian citizenship would require them giving up their citizenship of birth. Even if they intend to live in Toronto for the rest of their lives, this is not always an easy decision to make. Conversely, not all Canadian citizens in Toronto are here permanently. A Canadian citizen doing a one semester stint at U of T would have as much right to vote as someone who'll spend their entire life here. By allowing all residents to vote, all residents would have a say in how their tax money is spent, immigrants would engage in the political system right from the get go, and neighbourhoods with large populations of recent immigrants would no longer be under-represented in municipal government. Such a move would not be unprecedented - New Zealand guarantees all residents (both citizens and otherwise) the right to vote, and the UK allows all resedents holding a Commonwealth citizenship to vote (and, I believe, run for office).

For some people, gaining Canadian citizenship would require them giving up their citizenship of birth. Even if they intend to live in Toronto for the rest of their lives, this is not always an easy decision to make. Conversely, not all Canadian citizens in Toronto are here permanently. A Canadian citizen doing a one semester stint at U of T would have as much right to vote as someone who'll spend their entire life here. By allowing all residents to vote, all residents would have a say in how their tax money is spent, immigrants would engage in the political system right from the get go, and neighbourhoods with large populations of recent immigrants would no longer be under-represented in municipal government. Such a move would not be unprecedented - New Zealand guarantees all residents (both citizens and otherwise) the right to vote, and the UK allows all resedents holding a Commonwealth citizenship to vote (and, I believe, run for office).

At one time, being a British Subject was enough to vote in any municipal, provincial, or federal election. Now it is being a Canadian citizen. Becoming a Canadian citizen does NOT mean giving up their citizenship of birth, you can have dual citizenship.

Conrad Black gave up his Canadian citizenship. Even though he has only one remaining residence, here in Toronto, because he gave up his Canadian citizenship, he cannot vote, period.

At one time, being a British Subject was enough to vote in any municipal, provincial, or federal election. Now it is being a Canadian citizen. Becoming a Canadian citizen does NOT mean giving up their citizenship of birth, you can have dual citizenship.

For countries that allow multiple citizenships that might be true, but many countries (including China and India) do not. Once you acquire a new citizenship, you are automatically forced to give up your Indian/Chinese/etc. citizenship.

Include many european countries that do not honour dual citizenship if it was acquired by immigration and not birthright.

Voting is a privilidge and should be a duty of citizenship.
If they are serious about being part of a democratic process, they can wait their 3 years and become citizens.

There are no barries for residents to become citizens, so the argument of property owners and gender discrimination of the past isn't really comparable.

js97:

Voting is a privilidge and should be a duty of citizenship.
If they are serious about being part of a democratic process, they can wait their 3 years and become citizens.

Actually, knowing the turnout for elections at the municipal level, one should look at voting as a matter of responsiblity instead. And it's rather rich for one to talk about being serious about part of the democratic process when the majority of those who can don't even bother to vote.

AoD

The labour unions should bid to supply the services that the city needs. If they can make a bid that is lower than some company for the length of a contract, then they would be guaranteed their members will have a job. To me, a union president is the same as the president of a company making bids.

Your point about Toronto residents voting in municipal elections, only residents who are citizens should vote. If after 3 years, one does not apply for citizenship, then they are only here temporarily.

I have to agree with you on this. The unions don't own the service they're delivering. So give unions a chance to bid and if they can provide the service that is competitive then they get the contract. Unions can find ways to be efficient.

js97:

Actually, knowing the turnout for elections at the municipal level, one should look at voting as a matter of responsiblity instead. And it's rather rich for one to talk about being serious about part of the democratic process when the majority of those who can don't even bother to vote.

AoD

Then make it easier for people to vote.

I don't really have an issue with non-citizens voting at the municipal level... and aren't they able to anyway, by the way? They shouldn't not be able to vote provincially or federally, however. No way.

Considering that so many people that are citizens and couldn't care less about municipal elections, i really have no issue with non-citizens voting.
It seems to me that municipal elections has turned into a joke in Canada. I wonder how it was back in the 60s & 70s.

Back