8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

More documentation of the demolition of Old Toronto in the mid-50's:

The 1910 Shea's Victoria Theatre:

Firehall on Dundas east of Parliament:

The 1827 Jail at King East and Toronto Street (hidden within the York Chambers Building):

The 1872 Church Street Public School:

Postscript:

Shea's Victoria:

The Old Jail:

Church Street Public School:

Last edited:
Lost houses:

Robert Simpson House, Bloor Street East at St. Paul's Square:

Houses used by Grace Hospital, south side of Bloor, west of Church:

The McDiarmid Mansion, NW corner of Jarvis & Isabella:

The Cawthra Mansion, SW corner of Jarvis & Isabella:

McMaster Mansion, Bloor East and Park Road:

Taylor House, Broadview and Westwood:

Last edited:
Few blocks were as utterly transformed in the early 50's as that between Yonge and Church, Wood and Alexander for both the City Park Apartments and the Westbury Hotel. Mr. Salmon documented the demolitions and construction during that period:

South side of Alexander, east of Yonge:

Alexander Street United Church:

North side of Wood Street:

Views from the Hydro Building:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Last edited:
Note in those last two photos: Scientology seems to be under construction in the first, and complete in the second...

Oh, and the present-day 501 Yonge building (pre-70s makeover) is in the process of building in the second, and the St. Charles clock tower's acquired the neon sign that was a grotty and neglected presence until the tower's restoration dictated its removal...

Some supplementary non-Salmon pics from the Toronto Telegram archives of the same block in 1954:

asc03364.jpg

asc03366.jpg

asc03363.jpg

asc03365.jpg

asc03367.jpg

Attachments

• asc03367.jpg
    asc03367.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,091
  • asc03364.jpg
    asc03364.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,099
  • asc03366.jpg
    asc03366.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • asc03363.jpg
    asc03363.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,104
  • asc03365.jpg
    asc03365.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,079
On the Church Street frontage of the block was the Northern Congregational Church:

1912:

pictures-r-4006-1.jpg

Photographed by Mr. Salmon:

pictures-r-632.jpg

pictures-r-633.jpg

1889:

Attachments

• pictures-r-4006-1.jpg
    pictures-r-4006-1.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • pictures-r-632.jpg
    pictures-r-632.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,021
  • pictures-r-633.jpg
    pictures-r-633.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited:
Thanks!

Just to continue the tour of the block, a Salmon pic of the City Park Apartments from the same view point from the Hydro Building:

And another (non-Salmon) pic of the Church Street frontage of the block from 1956:

Last edited:
What a difference from today. Check out the Christies sign on the right. Today that's George Brown on King East. I suppose they moved to Lake Shore and Park Lawn soon after this?

More information on James Victor Salmon...

One of the best photographers of "old" Toronto was James Victor Salmon...
Many of his pictures are iconic ...
are an invaluable resource ....
...also appear that ... he was an "amateur"

Very little is known about James Salmon.

I contacted the reference librarian at the TPL responsible for his collection, to clarify the copyright status of images from his collection. I learned from him that the TPL paid his widow to acquire his (valuable) collection. A side effect of this is that due to peculiarities in US copyright law, even though the images Mr Salmon took himself are now in the public domain, in Canada, they are still (theoretically) protected by copyright in the USA. (I had been hoping that the images were donated, and had been placed in the public domain at the time of the donation, which would have meant the images were public domain in the USA as well.)

I also exchanged a couple of emails with the elderly co-author of a book that featured photos from his collection. That book is still in print Etobicoke in Pictures Etobicoke in Pictures.

Robert Givens, the co-author, had collaborated with Salmon on a column on the history of Etobicoke, published in the weekly newspaper The Etobicoke Guardian. I learned that, in the last year or so of his life, when he was suffering from cancer, Givens' wife used to drive to Salmon's house to deliver Salmon his share of the payment they received. Their fee? $2 per column. Givens and his wife also remembered that Salmon had a daughter. They couldn't remember what kind of cancer Salmon had.

Sparse details.

If the columns Salmon and Givens wrote together only earned them $2 each I wonder how much Mrs Salmon was paid for his collection?

C
I contacted the reference librarian at the TPL responsible for his collection, to clarify the copyright status of images from his collection. I learned from him that the TPL paid his widow to acquire his (valuable) collection. A side effect of this is that due to peculiarities in US copyright law, even though the images Mr Salmon took himself are now in the public domain, in Canada, they are still (theoretically) protected by copyright in the USA. (I had been hoping that the images were donated, and had been placed in the public domain at the time of the donation, which would have meant the images were public domain in the USA as well.)

I also exchanged a couple of emails with the elderly co-author of a book that featured photos from his collection. That book is still in print Etobicoke in Pictures Etobicoke in Pictures.

Robert Givens, the co-author, had collaborated with Salmon on a column on the history of Etobicoke, published in the weekly newspaper The Etobicoke Guardian. I learned that, in the last year or so of his life, when he was suffering from cancer, Givens' wife used to drive to Salmon's house to deliver Salmon his share of the payment they received. Their fee? $2 per column. Givens and his wife also remembered that Salmon had a daughter. They couldn't remember what kind of cancer Salmon had.

Sparse details.

If the columns Salmon and Givens wrote together only earned them $2 each I wonder how much Mrs Salmon was paid for his collection?

Thanks for the new insights, arcticredriver! It would be nice if someone, whether it's the TPL or the Ryerson Imaging Centre or an independent publisher could do a Rizzoli-quality series of books on Canadian photographers. Was just looking through some books on Julius Shulman's photographs of LA and Palm Springs (published by Rizzoli). Stunning. Would love to see proper books on Salmon, Lambeth, Micklethwaite, Notman, ...........

Last edited:
A side effect of this is that due to peculiarities in US copyright law, even though the images Mr Salmon took himself are now in the public domain, in Canada, they are still (theoretically) protected by copyright in the USA.

This is highly unlikely to be the case. I've cleared © for close to 20 years for all sorts of television projects, and i've never heard of an instance where something that is PD in its home country (in this case, Canada) could be deemed under © in another country.

The only way this happens is when the visual materials are registered by a publisher or by the artist him/herself separately in the US. If this didn't happen, there is no one who could make a © claim.

The Salmon photos have no gallery representation in the US, and they aren't reped by any of the photo archives (Getty, Corbis etc), so I would be very confident in assuming them to be PD, both here and there...

PM me if you want more info on this...

Back