News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Fare increase I can live with, as long as it at or below the rate of inflation. Ditto with property taxes. Not doing so will mean larger than inflation increases later, or service cuts (as we are seeing now because there were no property tax increase for 2011 and the removal of the city registration tax).

One has to wonder if Ford has thought through the political ramifications of these cuts, and those of additional reductions that will follow next year at this rate. While it may be news to him and Doug, transit isn't a niche service in Toronto, relied upon by a minority of the population that has no other choice. It's not quite New York, where just about everyone relies on the MTA, but it's a lot closer to that than any other North American city. If vehicles are less frequent, a LOT of people in Toronto will notice.

Furthermore, these cuts seem to be hitting the packed-to-the-gills trunk bus lines of the outer 416 as hard as anywhere. Those are his voters who aren't going to get a seat.

Furthermore, these cuts seem to be hitting the packed-to-the-gills trunk bus lines of the outer 416 as hard as anywhere. Those are his voters who aren't going to get a seat.
Wonderfully ironic, isn't it. The big downtown routes are mostly streetcar, and never had the improved loading standards that are now being cut (because of a shortage of vehicles in rush hour).

If we had a 15 cent increase instead of a 10 cent one, there would be no need for service cuts and instead there'd be room for increases.

Way to go for the ad hominen attack. :rolleyes:

Look; if one is the sort to defend the right to pay one or two bucks an hour, and to dig in the heels when challenged on that count, by arguing that artificially enforced "minimum wage" is what creates economic basket cases like Greece rather than Asian-style boom economies...yeah, sure. That'll go over as well in our society as honour killing...

Do you think it would be possible to negotiate a lower cut from Ford, if not an increase? As I mentioned earlier, Ford seems to believe the TTC is so essential that he asked the province to declare it as such. The police are also essential and negotiated an increase, why can't the TTC? As mean a talker about unions as he claims to be, Ford has shown to be a very soft negotiator at best.

Just wondering, if the TTC refuses to cut its budget because it feels it would hurt service too much, could them being declared essential give them an edge in such a confrontation? After all, they are essential, you can't cut service. Just look at the police...

There's room to cut the police and even more importantly the fire department. The current size and scope of the TFD is out of proportion to the risk. That's why you see a big red fire truck with 4 firemen responding to every minor medical 911 call in the city. We need to cut back on the fire department and give some of those jobs to EMS workers. But that's another thread...

how do you think public servants are hired?

I don't know how you think public servants are hired. I am a public servant myself. I saw the job listing on the internet, submitted my resume, got an interview, competed with 20+ candidates and eventually got hired. Exactly the same one as anyone from BMO or RBC got hired. Plus, at that time, I didn't have any "connection" to the government whatsoever.

If you think all public servants were hired through some unfair and mysterious channel which no one outside the circle has access to, you are entirely wrong. Some, like the TTC, may hire that way, but definitely not all.

If we had a 15 cent increase instead of a 10 cent one, there would be no need for service cuts and instead there'd be room for increases.

for ttc, not so much. if we had a 15 cent increase, the remaining 5 cents per person will go to other unnecessary projects such as putting up a modern sculpture at Museum, or paying those ticket collectors $62K instead of $60k.
it is ttc's duty to cry poor every year and ask for fare increases every year.

I don't know how you think public servants are hired. I am a public servant myself. I saw the job listing on the internet, submitted my resume, got an interview, competed with 20+ candidates and eventually got hired. Exactly the same one as anyone from BMO or RBC got hired. Plus, at that time, I didn't have any "connection" to the government whatsoever.

Hmm, if you're a public servant serving the City of Toronto under Mayor Ford, makes me wonder if there's a frightening undercurrent to your public-servant (or your posting-here) status...

Hmm, if you're a public servant serving the City of Toronto under Mayor Ford, makes me wonder if there's a frightening undercurrent to your public-servant (or your posting-here) status...

sorry to disappoint you, I actually work for McGuinty, and we are getting a raise next spring :)

2 to 5 minutes delay for automobile drivers on Jarvis Street is unacceptable. So the bicycle lanes have to go to make room for private motor vehicles.

2 to 5 minutes delay for public transit users is acceptable. So the surface public transit vehicles have to be reduced in number to make room for the private motor vehicles.

What's wrong with this picture?

The war on public transit escalates.

2 to 5 minutes delay for automobile drivers on Jarvis Street is unacceptable. So the bicycle lanes have to go to make room for private motor vehicles.

2 to 5 minutes delay for public transit users is acceptable. So the surface public transit vehicles have to be reduced in number to make room for the private motor vehicles.

What's wrong with this picture?

The war on public transit escalates.

I am also confused by Toronto's supposedly support of taking transit instead of driving. I mean, ttc cuts services while increasing fare at the same time. Is it supposed to tell the citizens, let's drive less and take the ttc more often, or the other way around?

Back