Eww. I fucking hate it. Seems like a waste on a site that could do something taller and a lot less shitty looking. Did they sell the site to Arlington? And what is with those tiny little at grade windows? And who thought that black brick would be a good street level treatment?

Although the much lower height is disappointing, that's not the main issue for me. Truman's Broward and pretty much all of University District are examples of decent development at that scale.

Certainly an approvement over the current lot, but agreed it could have been a lot better:
1720739709080.png

Can probably blame the Green Line for this change. Easier to build a tall tower with limited parking when you expect to have a train station at your doorstep within a few years. Harder to do when there is zero certainty when the train will arrive and it will probably be a decade away at least.

Looks okay enough. I was kind of hoping for the towers, but the street level portion of this is no different than the other design, so in the end, not much of difference really.

Can probably blame the Green Line for this change. Easier to build a tall tower with limited parking when you expect to have a train station at your doorstep within a few years. Harder to do when there is zero certainty when the train will arrive and it will probably be a decade away at least.
With dozens of buses going by down centre street every hour is it any different than having the green line? Or is the train just more glamorous?

Looks decent to me. Brick all the way up is awesome. Decent scale for a street that badly needs it. The SW corner could use some improvement to feel less bunker.
Whether there will be brick all the way up will make or break this for me. We don't want another Centro, especially so close by.

With dozens of buses going by down centre street every hour is it any different than having the green line? Or is the train just more glamorous?

I think the train is just more glamorous in terms of marketing a rental building. In practice, the busses on Centre St provide an incredible level of transit service but I don't think the average renter would be aware of that and trying to package that service into a marketing brochure is difficult. "Steps to a Green Line station" makes renting more units pretty easy. I could be wrong though and maybe JEMM just doesn't want to finance another concrete high-rise.

Last edited:

Trains are far more enjoyable than buses, by a large margin.

More comfortable experience and more reliable service.

Having a train in close proximity is a better selling point than having a bus route.

Last edited:

Back