39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

A

AlvinofDiaspar

THE PERFECT HOUSE: ARCHITECTURE
Suburbia: from avant-garde to no place special

JOHN BENTLEY MAYS

In the past while -- for no reason other than the common desire of men pushing 65 to understand something about the times we've lived through -- I have been revisiting the architecture of suburbia.

It means, among other things, making lists of the movies and TV shows I've seen (and happened to remember) that had suburban settings. There was, of course, Leave It to Beaver from the 1950s, and more recently -- after the myth of suburban bliss collapsed -- Edward Scissorhands, American Beauty and The Ice Storm.

But revisiting suburbia has also entailed going back through diaries and memories to locate the experiences that shaped my take on the suburbs, which is, on the whole, more benign than most urban observers of my generation.

The earliest of these experiences happened in the early 1950s, on the day my sister and her husband took me to see their new house in a suburb set down on former cotton fields. The very idea of a "new house" was exciting, because I had never seen one. "House," to my country kid's mind, meant something antique -- my grandparents' ample, shadowy Edwardian homestead, for instance, with dark wood panelling and ancient, overstuffed everything.

My sister's new house, on the other hand, was the most modern thing I'd ever seen. The compact array of kitchen appliances gleamed like the flight deck of Buck Rogers' space ship, the living room walls were smooth, hard and white -- not a sag or gluey scent of wallpaper anywhere. And -- I remember this with peculiar vividness -- the shiny wood flooring did not creak.

In this magical zone of new houses, there were no grouchy floors, no dismal shadows cast by tall trees, no roadside dirt shoulders that turned to red mud after a rain.

Only a radiant dream of green lawns without trees, with many bright white walls, and a plate-glass picture window opening toward the peaceful parallels of lawn, sidewalk and street.

Being a southern American of just 10 or so, I did not know that some grownup critics believed post-war mass suburbia to be a new kind of horror. Had I known Lewis Mumford existed, I would have thought him crazy for slandering suburbia as a "multitude of uniform, unidentifiable houses, lined up inflexibly at uniform distances, in a treeless communal waste," with brain-dead inhabitants "conforming in every outward and inward respect to a common mould."

But, then, I also hadn't heard of William Levitt, the arch-fiend in Mumfordian mythology, whose fabulously successful strategies for mass-producing houses had given the decisive push to the out-bound march of U.S. and Canadian suburbia.

Levittown had been a market sensation in its glory years, between 1947 and 1951, when Mr. Levitt was busily dotting this expanse of Long Island potato fields with nearly 18,000 assembly-line dwellings.

Myriad returning GIs wanted houses that were clean and new. The developer delivered by putting standardized mass production to work in housing. Mr. Levitt sent in teams of workers charged with completing each of 26 separate operations in sequence -- roofing and plumbing and wiring and installing the steel sinks, General Electric refrigerators, Bendix washing machines and other goodies that came with the purchase price. In the most feverish months of building, Mr. Levitt was finishing 30 houses a day.

The first thousand houses sold within two days of the offering. The place was right, the price was right. It was new country, with plenty of fresh air, easy road access to nearby industries -- and it was memory-free. Prospective buyers first had to sign a rental lease at $60 a month for one year, in return for an option to purchase their rented house for just $7,500.

Six thousand Cape Cods went up in 1947 and 1948, whereafter Mr. Levitt offered 11,447 ranch styles, which similarly sold like hotcakes until all the lots were used up, in 1951.

By the time I got to Levittown, the new had worn off, and everything had been softened by time. The lawns and lanes once open to the sun are now generously shaded by old trees. The meandering dirt streets we see in early aerial photographs are all paved, the strip shops that once lined the major thoroughfares have fallen prey to the monster malls. And because Mr. Levitt's creation was long ago swamped by the general creep of tract-house development surging out from New York City -- about an hour east of Levittown on the Long Island Rail Road -- it's hard to tell just where the township begins and ends.

After a while, the lesson seems to be, one generation's avant-garde suburbia turns into another generation's "no place special." It's a vast transformation that nobody could have predicted, back when both suburbia and I were young.

AoD

I wrote about the suburbs this week as well: eye.net/eye/issue/issue_0...troll.html

There seems to be a rethink about them -- it's funny that most of "us" come from them, and then escaped. And then (at least i do) feel some need to defend them -- or at least parts of them, the details.

--

Eye - February 23, 2006
Stroll

By SHAWN MICALLEF

The intersection of Eglinton and Don Mills is a 10-lane-wide no man's land tempered only by intrepid squeegee kids and their requisite sad-looking dogs, reminders that this is still the city. On one corner is the former IBM headquarters, now home to motherboard-making Celestica, built in the sinister, corporate campus style of architecture popular in certain 1980s James Bond films and Knight Rider episodes. Some old-timers remember when IBM came here in 1951 and Eglinton was little more than a dirt road. This was Toronto's modern post-war frontier: Canadian lebensraum before sprawl smothered the dream.

Late one recent Sunday afternoon, we climbed down to that intersection from the Loblaws Supercentre parking lot on a well-used muddy path -- clearly you're supposed to drive here, as no provision is made for those on foot. Looking south, one of Toronto's weirdest cityscapes is laid out: the Independent Order of Foresters skyscraper (the most oddly named insurance company ever), the Easter Seals office building (lit in a blaze of purple haze at night), a giant Mormon temple and a new subdivision overwhelmed by its giant neighbours.

Behind all this is Flemingdon Park, Toronto's first planned apartment community built between 1958 and the early 1970s on the farm of 1890s Toronto mayor Robert John Fleming. It's a maze of townhouses and apartment buildings, with underground parking and courtyard playgrounds where, in 1965, Ontario Homes and Living said, "Mothers can watch their children play from their windows." Theoretically, it's exactly the jumble of homes, parks and passages I longed to grow up in, but the "Flemo Sux" graffiti, Belfast-like murals that say "What's the point of getting drugs off the streets?" and many chain-link fences that blocked our movement -- we could see the strip mall, but couldn't figure out how to get to it -- suggest all is not well.

It was cold and dark so we moved north, back across Eglinton and climbed the terraced lawn of the abandoned and soon-to-be-demolished Bata shoe headquarters set high above the DVP. The Bata building is another of Toronto's modern gems by architect John C. Parkin that we're about to lose. Though built three years earlier, it's like a pavilion straight out of Expo '67. The Aga Khan has donated $200 million to build a centre for Toronto's expatriate Ismaili community, with 75 per cent of the site to become parkland. It's hard to argue with that, but go climb that hill and sit under Bata's concrete umbrellas while you can -- it's one of the last reminders that suburbia wasn't always a bad word.

Personally I love these post-war tiny bungalows. In comparison to the general garbage of the last 30 years, these homes have stood up well--minimal, elegant designs of relatively higher quality materials. Am currently fixated on buying and moving to such a nabe sometime in the next decade. So refreshingly different, so refreshingly out of fashion, that these very homes mays dismisses could very well be the most trendy homes of the 2010's. Condos are so normal now, nothing would surprise me. Imagine North toronto, york and etobicoke as the place to be? Yes!!! (For example, the area around eglinton and dufferin has the necessary infrastructure in place to become trendy to young couples.)

"I wonder if JBM was a draft dodger." Who cares and what does this have to do with the issues discussed in the piece.

Less personality critiques, and more intellectual critiques, would be welcomed.

^but isn't that what the forum severely lacks - personality?

I can't recall about "draft dodger" specifically, but certainly, he's got that air of having chosen Canada as some kind of cultural promised land "back in the day".

Draft dodger, schmaft schmodger. If Andy Barrie can brush it off, anyone can. And who knows what sorts of Dubyah-era JBMs and Barries might presently be in our midst as cultural luminaries of the future...

Back