News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

This is typical Toronto - making a beautiful new addition to the park with the cute little mini train and the historic station, but the building housing the mini trains is a jarringly ugly, grey cinderblock shack. *sigh*

Who cares about the utilitarian train shed. The mini train should be an awesome addition.

Few things are ever perfect. Few budgets are ever unlimited.

Overall, I love this little park/museum. It's so endearing. And its success is ensured given its location and theme (everyone loves trains, especially kids). Another layer of charm and interest added to the city, in this case with little fuss. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
take every positive comment mentioned above and add that to my own my view. this is a great addition to the city. this park was so barren before the revitalization. more importantly, it is another place for children to play downtown. five years ago, this part of town was boring, desolate and sterile. the cn tower was basically flanked by nothingness on one side, and a giant, empty, turtle-looking building with yankee stadium envy on the other. with all the new development, the new aquarium and this park, bremner will be one of the most unique and lively areas in the city.

Last edited:
Who cares about the utilitarian train shed. The mini train should be an awesome addition.

Few things are ever perfect. Few budgets are ever unlimited.

I CARE! Lots of people care! Agh, this city is so backwards sometimes! How hard is it to understand that details matter, little things matter, that the ugliness of things matters. Because if you don't pay attention to the details, you get a city full of eyesores that's not terrifically pleasant to spend time in. Aiding and abetting ugliness doesn't happen because budgets aren't unlimited. It happens because people say "who cares?" - and bit by bit we wind up with blots on the landscape, until the landscape is nothing but blots.

I CARE! Lots of people care! ... Aiding and abetting ugliness doesn't happen because budgets aren't unlimited. It happens because people say "who cares?" - and bit by bit we wind up with blots on the landscape, until the landscape is nothing but blots.
The utilitarian mini-train shed is hidden away at the back of the park right beside the Steamwhistle car park; it really does not detract from the wonderful park itself. Sure, it could have been more 'interesting' but it is not (in my opinion) ugly - simply boring. Perhaps it could be retrospectively 'facade-ed' - but with what? :->

Roundhouse Park map showing the location of the new "roundhouse" with its turntable and the rail route of the miniature steam train. It did not take long to build, maybe the TTC should use them to help build Transit City?

It looks like the bunker will be hidden by a "green screen" as well as vegetation. It's a shame that the mini-turntable is not more visible though since it clearly is an homage to the roundhouse.

current:

And the whole thing will probably look shabby in a few years and we'd all wonder who in the right mind would build something tacky like that. I wonder how much they spent on it - and how many more exhibits they could have created with that amount of money.

AoD

Pic taken Friday night, an engine sitting on the turntable.

4614838241_324f86d8ac_b.jpg

Pics taken Sunday afternoon, testing the miniature trains.

4615457190_f41a84d6dc_b.jpg

4615457276_69bb7f58b5_b.jpg

What a great sight! Great for kids and train aficionados. This is a great addition that will hopefully do well next to the CNtower, Skydome, (screw Rogers...I refuse to acknowledge him) ACC, and the new aquarium...Should be a nice area quite soon!!

This is typical Toronto - making a beautiful new addition to the park with the cute little mini train and the historic station, but the building housing the mini trains is a jarringly ugly, grey cinderblock shack. *sigh*

I just gasped when I just saw that grey shack, what were they thinking? The rest of the park is coming along well, indeed a terrific renovation and acknowledgment to an important part of our history. I can't wait to get down to take it all in and photograph it!

Back