News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

IIRC, the city wanted to build a working rail museum, but the underground extension of the conference centre weakened the rail lines to the point where train traffic wasn't safe.

While that might be true for a "working" rail museum, does the same apply for one with more static displays? I know this is certainly not as interesting as having operational artifacts, but it would at least be a start for something even better down the road (or rails).

Another great PR move for Leon's could be to open a furniture museum in their space at the Roundhouse, a tourism sideshow to the CN Tower.

Wylie! Very funny! The Museum of Cheap, Puffy, Leather Sectionals! Very Amusing!

Here's the response to my email to Leon's complaining about their Roundhouse venture:

Dear (Interchange42),

Thank you for your recent e-mail. Together with the City, the Toronto Railroad Historical Association and the Developer, we are planning to turn a significant part of the site into a Historical Railway Museum. Although the building will house about 30,000 square feet for a Brewery (currently in place) 8,000 square feet for a Museum and 39,000 square feet for a Leon’s Showroom, the entire site including the area outside the building and the park will have significantly more square footage reserved for museum pieces and the history of the railroad. The turntable is being restored as is the coal tower outside our front entrance.

The turntable will have an engine on it for viewing by the public. The coal tower will also have an engine under it again for viewing by the public. The front entrance of our premises will have a display of the history of the Roundhouse. A portion of our adjoining wall with the museum will be turned into glass so visitors will be able to see into the museum. The park will have train tracks situated in strategic locations. It will also have at least two historical train stations in different locations again for viewing by the public. Additional engines and/or railroad memorabilia are likely to be added.

The Roundhouse building itself will be restored to its original grandeur. It is a building that we believe will be very beautiful once it is restored. There will be a showroom only in the building with contemporary upscale merchandise for condominiums including smaller frames, many accessories and a variety of artifacts and linens. Warehousing and deliveries of our products will not be done from this location but from other facilities in the GTA. It only makes sense to display our showroom so that it compliments the restored building.

In 2009 we will be celebrating our 100th anniversary and the Roundhouse will be celebrating its 80th anniversary. Together with the Historical Association, The City, and the Developer, we are working as a team to create a site that the people of Toronto will enjoy visiting. We believe our heritage and the heritage of the site are an excellent combination to accomplish this together.

Sincerely,

Leon's Customer Care

Thanks for that. If they do what they say they do, it will be at the least a tolerable result. It also explains why they were given the lease.

I'm kind of surprised that noone has commented on the Roundhouse as of late. For the past 2 weeks or so there have been a crew working on what appears to be the rail turn-table.

Walked by there today and noticed several historic looking rail cars wrapped in white plastic. How long have they been there for? Didn't notice any big yellow Leon's signs though. Is it still going ahead?

^ they have been there for about a month at least (they were there when I went to the Auto Show opening weekend). I guess sometime between when the work on the rail turn-table finished (according to Jdot's post above on nov. 9) and Mid-Feb they showed up. I haven't heard anything about Leon's changing their plans.

The plans and signage looks to be quite respectful, and Leon's appears to be right in not putting the yellow sign on the property. Since a railway museum isn't likely, a decent tenant is the next best thing, and looks like Leon's is at least trying to be a decent tenant.

I like the restoration of the coal tower as well.

Roundhouse update...

2497861893_b23397864a_b.jpg

2498688418_4d2baeaa6f_b.jpg

2498685180_9d1f9c95c6_b.jpg

2498684872_bd0119f0a7_b.jpg

2498684550_4e7da078cf_b.jpg

2498683890_c290b667bc_b.jpg

2498683530_dc2b542625_b.jpg

They were tearing up the grass area in front of the roundhouse in earnest last friday. Was too far away to snap a pic though.

Back